Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/31/2001 5:37:45 PM EDT
I have a carbine with a 18" barrel and want to cut it down to 16".  If I put an empty shell into the chamber and seat it fully, then measure the distance from the crown to base of shell will that give me my OAL of barrel?  Thanks
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 5:42:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Have the barrel professionally cut and refinished by someone like Kurt, especially if it is chrome-lined.

Otherwise, the barrel length is measured from the face of the closed bolt to the muzzle.  Simply close the bolt, insert a cleaning rod until it contacts the bolt face.  Mark the rod where it emerges from the muzzle and measure the rod from end to mark.
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 6:10:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Dave_G is right- have a pro cut that barrel, especially if it's chrome-lined.  It's easy to chip that chrome at the cut, and they you are fuckee-fuckeed.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 8:48:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info.  I own a machine shop and can do it at the shop.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top