Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/31/2001 3:32:26 AM EDT
I just pickd up a Rem 788 in .223 (bolt action, magazine fed for those unfamiliar) and was wondering if anyone had any comments, info, experience with this rifle.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 3:47:40 AM EDT
[#1]
The 788 was not a particularly aesthetically pleasing rifle, but it was known for its superb accuracy. It had one of the fastest lock times of any regular production rifle. I think Remington discontinued them because they were cutting into their sales of the more expensive Model 700s. A guy that I work with has a 788 in .223; probably the best version of the rifle since it has the 24 inch barrel instead of that 18 1/2 inch stub like they put on the rest of the line.
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 5:01:34 AM EDT
[#2]
These used to be the "cheap alternative" to the 700, although, as noted, they were relatively ugly.  Then the 788 went out of production and now you can't get one used somewhere for less than a 700.  I have looked for a bargain for years and have yet to stumble across one.

Good luck with yours, please post a range report.  Like Jim said, it is supposed to be very accurate.
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 5:31:15 AM EDT
[#3]
My grandfather has quite the collection of 788's ... one each .223, .243 and .308

The 788 is an interesting phenomena ...

The bolt uses 9 separate locking lugs arranged in 3 columns parallel to the bold axis.  These lugs are located at the rear of the bolt instead of up near the breech.  The arrangement of the lugs does not lend to getting each of the nine lugs to bear the same in the receiver - one would think that this would be an inherent loss of accuracy.  One would also think that the rear bolt support allowing the bolt shaft to flex would also decrease accuracy.  

The 788 was sold as a economy rifle and was not factory free floated or otherwise accurized.

The reality of the thing is that the short stiff barrels and the 788 action seem to make a very good paring.  The particular .243 I mentioned above has put 3 in the same hole at 100 yds - and regularly prints 1/2 to 3/4 moa at that distance as it came from the factory.
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 5:59:40 AM EDT
[#4]
They are the best shooting rifle made for the little guy.  I have never seen a 788 that could not out shoot any rifle at the range!  Does it look to obvious that I am a fan?
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 6:21:41 AM EDT
[#5]
I love 788s
I have two in 223
The Shilen 24" is a crow killing machine at 400 yards.Try that if you will.
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 8:49:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm the decenting voice on this rifle.  I had one in .308, left handed model.  Something about the shape of the stock; it kicked the **** out of me every time I shot it.  It's the ONLY gun I've sold.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 3:26:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Wow!  This was the best $75 I've ever spent! I thought I was just picing up a new toy to go along for the ride when I take the AR out and have some .223 left over.  The gun is in excellent condition.  I already took it apart and cleaned out all of the heavy grease someone put into every nook & cranny.  I also replaced the trigger housing front tension screw with the correct one which allowed the trigger group to function properly once again. When I got the gun the entire trigger group was flopping around like a flounder and the safety was questionable.  Now all is perfect.
I have started to strip the stock and would love to hear any suggestions on how to refinish it properly after staining.  Serious gun stock finishing is something I've only dabbled in and this is beyond my present knowledge.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 12:00:25 PM EDT
[#8]
SEVENTY-FIVE BUCKS?  Dude, you stole that thing.  Congrats on a smokin' deal and if you see another one somewhere clue me in.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 12:24:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Right Guy, Right Place, Right Time.
I didn't know it was a good shooter when I bought it.  I just got lucky.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 1:03:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Not luck
Those little shits SHOOT
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 1:05:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Very good rifles. i have had two, one in 22-250 and one in 223. They go for around $300.00 and up around here.   fullclip
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 1:32:08 PM EDT
[#12]
About the only caveat I have heard about the 788 is the bolt handle.  They are prone to break off, so treat yours gently :)

Replacement bolt handles are long sold out and reputedly hard to come by, so one is forced to depend on a gunsmith who can braze the handle back on.

Just for reference, I saw one at the last gun show, with a $250 price tag on it.  Not that it was attracting many onlookers with that price...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top