Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2001 11:02:37 AM EDT
I used to own a 9mm carbine (UZI Model A) and miss it.  I want another 9mm carbine.

But, should I just get another UZI?  A 9mm AR-15 seems to look good, too.  I also know that there are other 9mm carbines out there.

Any advice?  I'm restricting it to PREBAN 9mm carbines (the shorter the better without going NFA).

Thanks,

Mike
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 12:09:36 PM EDT
[#1]
If you can get used to the weight, you can try your luck at a MAC-11.  Fired one the other day, and it's not COMPLETELY awkward and ridiculous
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 12:24:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Hmm.  I've never really liked the look of the Mac as a carbine.  But, they're undoubtably lighter than the UZI.  I'll have to give one a shot.

Now, if only I could find a preban version with the folder on it...

Mike

PS.  I just realized how bad that 'give it a shot' sounded...  
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 12:28:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Wlkinson Arms, web page is under Nothwest Arms. Check it out!
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 12:38:38 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

They made the "Linda" carbine, right?
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 2:16:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Is there a reason you don't want NFA?

For the $1k you are going to spend on a pre-ban 9mm Carbine (UZI $1k, AR type $1300+, etc.) you could get a SWD M11/9, and almost pay the tax ($800 if you are willing to accept a shooter vs. a NIB gun and the $200 tax).  UZI mags are cheap, real Colt AR mags aren't, and MAC mags are still in the $20-30 range.  

Link Posted: 10/28/2001 4:30:46 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Is there a reason you don't want NFA?

For the $1k you are going to spend on a pre-ban 9mm Carbine (UZI $1k, AR type $1300+, etc.) you could get a SWD M11/9, and almost pay the tax ($800 if you are willing to accept a shooter vs. a NIB gun and the $200 tax).  UZI mags are cheap, real Colt AR mags aren't, and MAC mags are still in the $20-30 range.  

Yeah, it's because of two reasons:

1.  CLEO won't sign and hasn't in over a decade;

2.  Wisconsin law is confusing on the issue of pistol-caliber MG's.  You need a seperate permit for them, but because of the way it's worded, no one knows if it's pistol or non-pistol caliber guns that need to be registered with the state.  (I'm avoiding future state legal problems.)

Mike
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 5:12:41 PM EDT
[#7]
i had one of the M9-11s years ago and it was a POS--the hammer broke on at least two occasions and after you've blasted it from the hip a few times-you will be bored with it (I was).  The magazines were plastic and if you drop them they will explode and spray bullets everywhere with about as much accuracy as the gun itself has.  i bought a Colt AR 9mm a while back and paid out the wazoo for it and i don't regret it for a minute--mine now sports a flattop with an aimpoint and i can hit a grapefruit (or Head) sized target at 100 yards at will.....

i also had an uzi for a while and you can bet your life that it will work everytime but they look peculiar with that long barrel and short action (But everybody i know that had one also had a short barrel stuck away somewhere)....The long and short of it is that i think you should get a 9mm AR....there are a few around now that don't cost as much as the colt and work just as good and use cheap mags...Just my 2 cents worth........Dick
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 5:55:01 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
i had one of the M9-11s years ago and it was a POS--the hammer broke on at least two occasions and after you've blasted it from the hip a few times-you will be bored with it (I was).  The magazines were plastic and if you drop them they will explode and spray bullets everywhere with about as much accuracy as the gun itself has.  i bought a Colt AR 9mm a while back and paid out the wazoo for it and i don't regret it for a minute--mine now sports a flattop with an aimpoint and i can hit a grapefruit (or Head) sized target at 100 yards at will.....

i also had an uzi for a while and you can bet your life that it will work everytime but they look peculiar with that long barrel and short action (But everybody i know that had one also had a short barrel stuck away somewhere)....The long and short of it is that i think you should get a 9mm AR....there are a few around now that don't cost as much as the colt and work just as good and use cheap mags...Just my 2 cents worth........Dick

I had heard that there were quality issues with some of the Mac guns.  Others state that they're reliable and okay, but ugly.  (I don't care about looks.)  I guess it's just the year/model that you purchase.  EVERYBODY seems to holler about the Zytel mags and the feedlips breaking, though.

I had considered the 9mm AR, but it's the biggest one (size wise) on the list.  Plus, I've found that AR's, on the whole, are NOT as reliable as I'd prefer.  Maybe there's a way to ensure reliability, but.....

Yeah, I've heard that about the UZI.  Short barrel and slotted bolt.    But, honestly, I don't want an illegal NFA item.  I'd rather pay more; it's just not an option right now due to reasons mentioned above.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 6:01:28 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They made the "Linda" carbine, right?

Correct, the current owner is doing alot of neat things. There will be a new web page up shortly. He has made alot of inprovements since the Terry carbine. I have one, it is an out- standing weapon, it sits right next to my Hk's
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 6:10:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Whats wrong with a bit of NFA? SBR + AWC here, WAY TOOO MUCH FUN!!

Link Posted: 11/2/2001 1:17:29 PM EDT
[#11]
How bout a semi-auto MK760? They are kind of hard to find now but in a couple of months Omega Arms down in Arizona (I think??) will be starting manufacture on the "Omega 76" which will be just like the S&W76/MK760 guns but will use Sten mags instead of expensive S&W 76/MK 760 mags.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top