Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 6/10/2022 2:57:31 PM EDT
Saw this earlier, looks like a US Carmel. I’d love to have one but I REALLY don’t like the Americanized handguard.

Link Posted: 6/10/2022 3:41:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Neat
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 3:54:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I like it. Are these for sale in the US yet?

Cant seem to find much on them
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 4:38:48 PM EDT
[#3]
These look like ATF photos...kind of like when the Hellion came about...so I'd say we are a good 3-4 months out...
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 7:43:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Interested in the Carmel overall but that “Americanized” version looks like hammered dog crap.  A lot like the Bren 2 carbine that I also skipped.

I’m a little more picky here in 2022 with where my toy money goes.  The Hellion at least is pretty close to a VHS-K2.
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 9:52:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Interested in the Carmel overall but that “Americanized” version looks like hammered dog crap.  A lot like the Bren 2 carbine that I also skipped.

I’m a little more picky here in 2022 with where my toy money goes.  The Hellion at least is pretty close to a VHS-K2.
View Quote

I'm not understanding the "gas block access hole in the HG" trend that seems to be the latest thing lately, especially as I don't see the advantage of mounting something over the top of a hot gas block. Besides, how much rail RE (& weight) is really needed to get the job done?

Israel's New Battle Rifle From IWI: The Carmel

Nice rifle. That "Americanized" aluminum HG ruins it. If that's an import configuration, then that HG is no doubt a workaround US made part, but they should've stuck with the original HG format & just made a domestic copy of it.

Link Posted: 6/11/2022 1:38:59 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't get the 'put an AR15 grip on everything' mentality.  Squirt the plastic in the US if you need 922r parts.  Also, we will buy this for foreign military street cred, not because it's the best gun ever made.  Give us the gun the military uses (within legal limitations).  Otherwise, not interested.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 8:59:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Looks like a Beretta ARX with a new stock and handguard.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 10:17:57 AM EDT
[#8]
I was never really excited about the Carmel, but with the changes made to Americanize it I wouldn't even consider it.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 2:13:00 PM EDT
[#9]
It looks a lot like a Bushmaster ACR. The new handguard on the Carmel looks stupid. Its ruined like the Gen 2 Galil Ace.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 11:55:07 PM EDT
[#10]
I like it!
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 4:08:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Unfortunately, M-Lok is the new hotness in the civilian world and people would complain if it came with the picatinny rails at 3, 6, and 9 like the military version.  The military seems perfectly happy with the standard picatinny rail system.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 11:43:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Unfortunately, M-Lok is the new hotness in the civilian world and people would complain if it came with the picatinny rails at 3, 6, and 9 like the military version.  The military seems perfectly happy with the standard picatinny rail system.
View Quote

The military is specing MLOK in all recent weapons programs (MRGG, NGSW, etc)
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 3:32:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The military is specing MLOK in all recent weapons programs (MRGG, NGSW, etc)
View Quote

It doesn't need to take up the majority of the gun's volume & nearly swallow the full length of the barrel for sufficient RE to mount stuff. That thing is hideously large & makes the rifle bigger than it ought to be. Also, being aluminum, it'll conduct heat instead of insulate like polymer. I'd hope Manticore or other could offer a more svelt alternative.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 6:30:55 AM EDT
[#14]
I don’t mind Mlok, but really dislike the longer receiver and longer handguard.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 10:11:21 AM EDT
[#15]
.... one of the very few rifles I had had interest in - but in its original configuration, not this abomination
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 5:27:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Can anyone tell if this gun is Polymer or Aluminum upper / lower?
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 5:58:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Can anyone tell if this gun is Polymer or Aluminum upper / lower?
View Quote
The original design is made of polymer - the US version seems to be made at least partially of aluminum
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 12:09:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Who at the company is being paid to make these bad decisions? We want the .mil version, not the gross US market version.

Like others have already said, they ruined it like they did the new Gen 2 Galils.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 4:12:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The original design is made of polymer - the US version seems to be made at least partially of aluminum
View Quote

Looks like the HG is aluminum & the rest is poly. The barrel QD release cam lever looks like it has been moved back above mag well, & the lower also has different geometry around the grip area. The HG is probably a "parts count" work around, I'd guess.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 6:21:38 PM EDT
[#20]
According to IWI this is the US version but it hasn’t got ATF approval as of yet. They said the feedback they have is people prefer the aluminum Mlok over the polymer. I guess if you want it in its OG form better let IWI US know.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 9:51:24 PM EDT
[#21]
I don’t mind that the HG is aluminum or is M-Lok.  I also get that US parts need to added.  That said, I prefer that the length and shape the original with the angled front, and the front of the gas plug exposed instead of having to be accessed by an ugly cutout in a longer handguard.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 2:00:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
According to IWI this is the US version but it hasn’t got ATF approval as of yet. They said the feedback they have is people prefer the aluminum Mlok over the polymer. I guess if you want it in its OG form better let IWI US know.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

So they're claiming they did an actual market poll? Funny, I never heard anything about it before this thread. An Mlok format HG is fine, doesn't have look like a scale version of the NJ bridge. Extending it past the gas block with a cut access hole on the side is ridiculous & makes it ungainly relative to its original profile.

It's curious that IWI has been able to import their BP offerings without mucking the HG, but the rifle gets raped.

Quoted:
I don’t mind that the HG is aluminum or is M-Lok.  I also get that US parts need to added.  That said, I prefer that the length and shape the original with the angled front, and the front of the gas plug exposed instead of having to be accessed by an ugly cutout in a longer handguard.

Exactly. Wonder if there's a way to contact IWI-US & bring them up to speed?
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 8:49:23 AM EDT
[#23]
The US version looks better than the original.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 9:39:55 AM EDT
[#24]
I'll keep my tactical tuna ARX100 thanks.
Between the .308 ACE & UZI I don't have any desire for more IWI guns unless they clock in under $1000.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 9:44:17 AM EDT
[#25]
I’m in
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 9:52:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
I disagree.

I'd love to write IWI to let them know
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 10:34:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I disagree.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I disagree.

Email:
[email protected]

Phone:
717-695-2081

Fax:
717-412-0873
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 1:49:04 PM EDT
[#28]
I sent an email expressing my preference for the original. I also expressed concern about flooding a generic email address pushing this opinion on an employee that's not in a position to do anything about it, so I asked what's the best way for others that feel the same way to communicate this to someone that can.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 1:49:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Email:
[email protected]

Phone:
717-695-2081

Fax:
717-412-0873
View Quote
Appreciate!
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 2:26:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I sent an email expressing my preference for the original. I also expressed concern about flooding a generic email address pushing this opinion on an employee that's not in a position to do anything about it, so I asked what's the best way for others that feel the same way to communicate this to someone that can.
View Quote

Well played. The messaging needs to be effective.
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 4:50:55 PM EDT
[#31]
I sent them this suggestion:

...speaking as a prospective customer, I would encourage IWI to consider reducing the length & forward profile of the handguard to that of the original design, as the prototype configuration adds excessive size & weight to the original design. As a suggestion, extending the handguard out to just behind the gas regulator would be ideal, & since Mlok format does allow for "1/2" length slots, the top row could consist of a full & a half slot, & lower row could have of 3 slots, & would enable the domestic handguard to approximate the size & shape of the original's design.
View Quote

Hope it gets traction.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 3:37:58 AM EDT
[#32]
The Americanized version looks a lot better. But having both options seems to be best. But a lot of choices IWI has made I am not happy with. Like the gen 2 Galil. So I don't think I would even get this either way.

Never even heard of this gun before, so what is it's claim to fame?
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 7:56:26 AM EDT
[#33]
Is this a replacement for whatever they are using now?

I like the non US version myself
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 2:09:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
The Americanized version looks a lot better. But having both options seems to be best. But a lot of choices IWI has made I am not happy with. Like the gen 2 Galil. So I don't think I would even get this either way.

Never even heard of this gun before, so what is it's claim to fame?
View Quote

https://iwi.net/carmel/

My guess is it's a move to position IWI as a stronger global competitor to HK.  The G36 has been pretty successful across the world for them but it is an aging design.  Countries that have adopted it will be looking for a replacement in the near future.  HK has the 433 in the pipeline but they really haven't gone anywhere with it yet.  IWI can read the tea leaves and knows a lot of those countries won't want a bullpup or modernized AK like the Galil ACE.  They do have their Arad piston upper but the 416 has been so dominant they may be more cautious competing with it.   So they've cooked up their own modernized AR-18 derivative to enter the race.

I'm curious about the Arad myself but piston ARs on the US market aren't a winning move usually.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 7:53:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Is this a replacement for whatever they are using now?

I like the non US version myself
View Quote

No it’s just like the ace “Gen 2” are US market only according to IWI int.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 8:31:39 AM EDT
[#36]
I honestly like the new handguard.  The old one makes it look like a unicorn fish... at least they went away from the tuna look.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 11:34:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I honestly like the new handguard.  The old one makes it look like a unicorn fish... at least they went away from the tuna look.
View Quote

I would prefer that it didn't extend past the gas block with that gaping access hole in the side.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 1:17:39 AM EDT
[#38]
I dont really care for either look. I see it like the galil:

You got the first gen that looks good and has the character of a galil, but with some issues.
Then you got the Gen 2:

Fixe some of the issues that were there, but you also kill the character that the original had.

For as ugly as the original handguard is, it aleast had so uniqueness.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 8:47:31 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I would prefer that it didn't extend past the gas block with that gaping access hole in the side.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I do agree with you there.  I think it looks more aesthetically pleasing when the gas block is a bit forward of the end of the handguard on AR-180 platforms.  Once they hide the block with the handguard it doesn't look as good.

Quoted:
I dont really care for either look. I see it like the galil:
https://iwi.us/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/GAR1639.png
You got the first gen that looks good and has the character of a galil, but with some issues.
Then you got the Gen 2:
https://www.sngtactical.com/prodimages/1459-default-L.jpg
Fixe some of the issues that were there, but you also kill the character that the original had.

For as ugly as the original handguard is, it aleast had so uniqueness.

Man don't get me started on the ACE.  I thought the Gen1 looked so good, then IWI had to release the abomination that is the Gen2.  Granted the Gen2 improvements are great, but they needed to at least keep the irons.  Removing the fixed irons completely killed the look of the gun IMO.
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 11:36:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

My guess is it's a move to position IWI as a stronger global competitor to HK.  The G36 has been pretty successful across the world for them but it is an aging design.  Countries that have adopted it will be looking for a replacement in the near future.  HK has the 433 in the pipeline but they really haven't gone anywhere with it yet.  IWI can read the tea leaves and knows a lot of those countries won't want a bullpup or modernized AK like the Galil ACE.  They do have their Arad piston upper but the 416 has been so dominant they may be more cautious competing with it.   So they've cooked up their own modernized AR-18 derivative to enter the race.

I'm curious about the Arad myself but piston ARs on the US market aren't a winning move usually.
View Quote

Good, I'd prefer IWI to dominate HK and their antiquated/complex/expensive/not for you civilians designs. That said, I also recognize that I may be alone in that opinion.
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 2:21:00 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

You won’t be seeing the Arad on the US market until LMT’s patents expire or IWI pays up like Colt.
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 8:06:53 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
It looks a lot like a Bushmaster ACR. The new handguard on the Carmel looks stupid. Its ruined like the Gen 2 Galil Ace.
View Quote

I'm not one to usually complain about height over bore, but that seems kind of excessive. The sloped part at the front of the original handguard makes it seem a lot less noticeable.

The ACR is generally considered to be a good looking rifle. This looks...clunky.
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 8:14:18 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I'm not one to usually complain about height over bore, but that seems kind of excessive. The sloped part at the front of the original handguard makes it seem a lot less noticeable.

The ACR is generally considered to be a good looking rifle. This looks...clunky.
View Quote
I agree with this. I own both an ACR (SBR) and an ARX100 (SBR), pictured below.

I am interested in the original configuration of the Carmel provided it can stay true to how it was presented and introduced.
After all, however, I realize I may already have that rifle times two - so probably it's irrelevant for me to go after another IWI (also have an X95)

ACR SBR Suppressed by Solo__, on Flickr

Beretta ARX100 SBR by Solo__, on Flickr
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 8:22:19 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I agree with this. I own both an ACR (SBR) and an ARX100 (SBR), pictured below.

I am interested in the original configuration of the Carmel provided it can stay true to how it was presented and introduced.
After all, however, I realize I may already have that rifle times two - so probably it's irrelevant for me to go after another IWI (also have an X95)

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51793087178_084885671d_b.jpg
ACR SBR Suppressed by Solo__, on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52091225898_b13eeb5203_b.jpg
Beretta ARX100 SBR by Solo__, on Flickr
View Quote

I'm still pissed at myself for not grabbing a Beretta when they were $800
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 9:34:08 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
... I remember - but I paid way more for mine (feel better then) - for full length rifle, SBR barrel (original) AND then SBR tax stamp.

Feel better!
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 11:37:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm pissed for not grabbing more

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 6:33:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Only on ARFCOM would people bitch about an extended Al rail on an imported rifle. Good grief, you people kill me! . The hypocrisy as well, when Geissele, Daniel Defense and BCM are throwing 14-15” rails on their 16” rifles. IWI is giving you more real estate for lights, optics, IR crap. I’m sure it will work quite well.

Having said that, I’ll take either the original or the extended Al handguard. If the Carmel uses AR triggers, it will be even more awesome. A short stroke piston rifle with a chrome lined CHF barrel, adjustable gas block for suppressed use, and manufactured in Israel will work quite well for me. Would love to see the Arad upper as well. I just wish this would have come out before the SCAR 16 NRCH

Dear IWI: Please make sure you provide spare parts (bolts, firing pins, lower parts) and thread the barrel in 1/2-28. Spare barrels for a 14.5” pin and weld or SBR length would be great as well.

Link Posted: 7/4/2022 8:47:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 9:05:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Only on ARFCOM would people bitch about an extended Al rail on an imported rifle. Good grief, you people kill me! . The hypocrisy as well, when Geissele, Daniel Defense and BCM are throwing 14-15” rails on their 16” rifles. IWI is giving you more real estate for lights, optics, IR crap. I’m sure it will work quite well.

Having said that, I’ll take either the original or the extended Al handguard. If the Carmel uses AR triggers, it will be even more awesome. A short stroke piston rifle with a chrome lined CHF barrel, adjustable gas block for suppressed use, and manufactured in Israel will work quite well for me. Would love to see the Arad upper as well. I just wish this would have come out before the SCAR 16 NRCH

Dear IWI: Please make sure you provide spare parts (bolts, firing pins, lower parts) and thread the barrel in 1/2-28. Spare barrels for a 14.5” pin and weld or SBR length would be great as well.

View Quote

I don't care what Geissele, Daniel Defense, & BCM are throwing, & this isn't supposed to be an AR. That much rail is overkill. The original looks handy. This thing is a chunk.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 8:20:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

I agree. There’s bullpups in the world.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top