Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2020 5:47:22 PM EDT
What round(s) is/are -

Easy to reload for (ie, prefer straight case for carbide dies, doesn't require fire forming brass etc)
Don't use a lot of powder when reloading (ie more loads per lb!)
Has enough oomph to reach 200 yards without too much angle-o-dangle involved (ie, 22wmr or better ballistically)
Can be gotten in a relatively inexpensive bolt action, single shot (liner/insert to convert a shotgun counts here), or as a Contender barrel.

Basically I've been given a single stage press and access to TONS of various powder and primers thanks to a friend.  Got 9mm on my list as well as 44mag for stuff I already own, but neither is suitable for dinging steel at 200 without holding over by feet.  Just looking for something to enjoy 50 rounds on a range trip kinda thing....
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 5:54:43 PM EDT
[#1]
.357?  They can reach out 200 yds.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 6:00:39 PM EDT
[#2]
350 legend or 450 bushmaster?
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 6:19:07 PM EDT
[#3]
357mag in a longish pistol or carbine.

I am a fan of marlin (north haven type) or Winchester but I own a Rossi that is a pretty decent carbine . Wouldn't touch a Rossi revolver .

45/70 can be a hoot also
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 11:14:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Not sure about the straight case issue as I've only reloaded cases with shoulders.  However, wouldn't running .223 work?  You would FL size that case over neck sizing the straight walled case, but I'd like to think the performance advantages would make it worth your while...

Other than that, I feel like I might be missing something?
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 11:31:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Why limit yourself? Dies aren’t overly expensive. I’d find a gun you want and load for it. It’s not a buyer’s market right now but there’s guns fairly priced if you look. Unless you plan on shooting this a lot the powder different is minimal until you get into large centerfire cartridges and start using 30, 40, 50 grains and so on. Powder is the one thing right now that’s not really overpriced and it’s available. Primers will be your problem
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 11:45:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Can you elaborate on why it has to be straight case? That really limits things. If you want little drop you need high speed and that doesn't come from many of the straight walled cases. Seems like 223 would be a good round. Maybe the new 350 legend if you're really stuck on a straight walled case.
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 11:59:53 PM EDT
[#7]
.22 hornet.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 3:01:57 AM EDT
[#8]
357 Max
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 9:22:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 12:15:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What round(s) is/are -

Easy to reload for (ie, prefer straight case for carbide dies, doesn't require fire forming brass etc)
Don't use a lot of powder when reloading (ie more loads per lb!)
Has enough oomph to reach 200 yards without too much angle-o-dangle involved (ie, 22wmr or better ballistically)
Can be gotten in a relatively inexpensive bolt action, single shot (liner/insert to convert a shotgun counts here), or as a Contender barrel.

Basically I've been given a single stage press and access to TONS of various powder and primers thanks to a friend.  Got 9mm on my list as well as 44mag for stuff I already own, but neither is suitable for dinging steel at 200 without holding over by feet.  Just looking for something to enjoy 50 rounds on a range trip kinda thing....
View Quote

I get it that you are just getting into reloading and want to start out easy.  Straight walled cases, etc.

But, the .223 is easy to reload.  Only thing "different" is using case lube because the dies aren't  carbide.  Just watch a few YouTube videos and have at it.  .223 is extremely versatile and just about every configuration of rifle on the planet  has a .223 option.

I'm 70 years old.  Started reloading when in my late teens with a single stage press.  Moved on to a turret-style press, but still have and use the single stage.  I was late to the game reloading .223.  Got dies for it about 10 years ago.  Should have done it much sooner because its very friendly and inexpensive because it uses much less powder than most non-pistol rounds, and the small bullets are usually cheaper, if for no other reason than less lead per round.

An easy straight-walled case rifle load is the .45-70.  Big chunk of lead moving slow, but can be loaded very light and soft shooting, or very heavy near "elephant gun."   Also available in many different rifles.  My favorite is a single-shot break action, like a single shot shotgun.

FWIW, I reload about 17-18 different cartridges now.  Its a fun and (obviously in my case) addictive hobby.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top