Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2020 9:27:04 PM EDT
My trusty 500 that I got for my Bday when I turned 10(39 years ago) that has been keeping my Kawasaki Mule secure for the last few years has a booboo.

Took it out of its gunrack and the sliding safety just fell off the thing in 2 pieces.

The original safety sucked as it was hard to push with my thumb if my hands were dirty or gloved.

Is there something better out there available that gets the arfcom seal of approval
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 10:22:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Steel safety Button.

Won't break and leave you screwed when you really need it.

Brownell's Mossberg 590 Extended Steel Safety Button
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 2:24:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Steel safety Button.

View Quote

I have this safety. It works well. Don’t forget to order the tiny spring and BB as these often get lost when the safety breaks.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 3:26:59 AM EDT
[#3]
I bought my steel safety from Havelin Sales.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 5:55:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I have this safety. It works well. Don’t forget to order the tiny spring and BB as these often get lost when the safety breaks.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Steel safety Button.

Same although I'm pretty sure it's actually made by Promag (they look the same) and definitely order the spring and ball detente along with a new (non-one way factory) screw since you may need pliers to get the old screw out.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 6:24:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the input.

I figured there was a better option than a factory replacement, and you guys didn't disappoint.

Good work. Carry on.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 9:30:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Paddle safety I found on Amazon. Its aluminum.

Says its not available right now but its made by :
CDM Delta Wave Advanced Slide Safety for Mossberg 500/590/590A1

Top gun has it installed.

Link Posted: 10/5/2020 10:17:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Steel safety Button.

View Quote

I broke my oem safety pretty fast.  
I have this one for 6years now. I lost the bearing and subbed a No.6 birdshot.
Took off some pressure but has enough to keep the safety where u want it.

I used a small punch and tapped the screw head out.  Had that weird head on it.  I reused it.

Link Posted: 10/5/2020 12:37:56 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't know if they still do, but the 590 used to come with metal safeties while the 500 had the plastic ones if anyone wants a smallish factory style for some reason.
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 7:45:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Steel safety Button.

I have two of the same style part from pro-mag, gave a third to my brother. All 3 fit just fine and work very well. A true upgrade.

I put the spur on the stock side as I have smaller hands, easier to engage.

Might be a bitch to get the old screw out, probably rusted in from 40yrs. The 3 (moreless) current production guns I put it on, the scre came out with a regular driver, just press really hard.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 4:26:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Vang Comp safety has been installed on my Mossberg 500 Persuader for years now.
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 7:05:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Will never understand why Mossberg uses such a garbage safety. I broke mine without any hard use.
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 3:01:04 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't get why they used a one-way screw on it.
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 8:38:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I don't get why they used a one-way screw on it.
View Quote

Because that way you "can't" remove it, disabling the safety, and then sue when you ND into a family member.
Link Posted: 10/16/2020 8:26:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Well, I am just slow at getting things done and I guess at posting pics

I ended up buying the Promag because I got it for $12.
The ball & spring were still intact, so I just unscrewed the little screw out, out the new safety on, and screwed it back in.
After a safety check, it appears to be working fine.

I actually bought 2 because I remembered that I have a Maverick 88. Pulled it out the safe and found out that the Mav88 actually uses a Rem870 style crossbolt safety.
So, I guess I have a spare that I will likely never find if I ever need to replace the safety again!
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 8:59:17 PM EDT
[#15]
NDZ Performance
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 9:08:03 PM EDT
[#16]
I just installed the Promag.
You don’t need to keep the little metal plate but you will need the ball detent and spring.

Should be a five minute job.
Typical for me, it took 1/2 hour.
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 9:16:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I just installed the Promag.
You don’t need to keep the little metal plate but you will need the ball detent and spring.

Should be a five minute job.
Typical for me, it took 1/2 hour.
View Quote

I'd have been happy with a half hour, I had to wait for delivery of a new little detente ball after mine apparently fell into an alternate universe.  
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 2:06:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I'd have been happy with a half hour, I had to wait for delivery of a new little detente ball after mine apparently fell into an alternate universe.  
View Quote

Me, until I learned to disassemble things under a sheet or held inside a big ziplock bag.

My M590A1 has a metal safety, I may install a NDZ unit that is $16.99 on Am-O-Zon just to make it a bit easier to manipulate.
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 2:18:57 AM EDT
[#19]
I put this one on a couple M500's. Second gun it took about 10 minutes to replace it.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Elite-Tactical-Advantage-Oversize-Reversible-Safety-for-Mossberg-Shotguns/254017687550?epid=23020156536&hash=item3b24a24ffe:g:mZAAAOSwpwBcC~Pthttps://www.ebay.com/itm/Elite-Tactical-Advantage-Oversize-Reversible-Safety-for-Mossberg-Shotguns/254017687550?epid=23020156536&hash=item3b24a24ffe:g:mZAAAOSwpwBcC~Pt

On the first gun, I removed the bolt and trigger group to install the safety and found out it wasn't necessary. That was some 20+ years ago.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 6:52:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Steel safety Button.

View Quote

That’s what I put on my Shockwave. Night and day difference.
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 5:43:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 6:53:55 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a Vangcomp safety on my shockwave and it work very well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top