Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2014 11:31:20 PM EDT
I have a bolt action rifle that is drilled and tapped for iron sights.  The holes that were drilled (done at the factory) are on the barrel.  I took the Iron sights off years ago.  The rear holes that are drilled are missing their screws.  No clue what has happened to them.  These holes are 1/2 an inch or so after the chamber on the barrel.  Obviously the holes don't go down through the barrel.  Is there any issue shooting the gun without the screws in the drilled iron sight holes?
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 4:39:20 AM EDT
[#1]
What kind of rifle and what is it chambered for?

I'd be foolish to tell you it's perfectly safe, and that millions of barrels are drilled and tapped for irons, and that I've never heard of a barrel bursting due to sight holes drilled into it. Or that having the screws in it would have little effect on strength anyway.

I suppose if the holes were drilled to within a micron of the bore wall, a high-pressure load could conceivably finish "drilling" the hole.
Take  all of that for whatever you think it's worth...

Edited to remove quote tree. (Seeing as I was the first responder, it seemed rather unnecessary! )  
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 11:42:12 AM EDT
[#2]

If OEM, you're probably good to go.  I hate vacant screw holes though.  I would have them replaced for aesthetics.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 5:23:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah.
Brownells carries specialty "filler" screws for such applications.
They have a very tiny head so they cap off a hole neatly, and a slight crown to blend in on a barrel or receiver profile.
I think they're available in 6-48 and 8-32 sizes, and blue or stainless.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top