Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/25/2014 9:37:32 AM EDT
I picked up some Burris Signature Zee Rings,,these have the stupid lil plastic inserts, good luck trying to get everything all centered up. I really dont get the purpose of them, you cant install the rings without them. Are they trying to fix some kind of issue that people have with getting a scope all lined up? Ive been dealing with scoped rifles since I was a wee lil lad.

Anyways, local shop had what I needed (shouldve checked with them first) and these are headed back to Midway USA.

I certainly dont recommend these rings, im sure once its all centered up, they are fine, but I dont like the idea of plastic inserts (something that can be affected by heat and cold and could deteriorate over time (or not, lol).

Anyways, that is my very unscientific assessment of these rings. I ended up with Burris Zee rings without the stupid inserts.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 3:49:59 PM EDT
[#1]
You sure those inserts aren't for mounting a different diameter scope?

Seen lots of rings with inserts so you can use them with a 30MM or 1 inch.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 3:57:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You sure those inserts aren't for mounting a different diameter scope?

Seen lots of rings with inserts so you can use them with a 30MM or 1 inch.
View Quote

Nope, they are made to be used in conjunction with the rings. They even sell off set inserts incase your scope is shooting horribly to one side or the other or up and down.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 4:35:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I picked up some Burris Signature Zee Rings,,these have the stupid lil plastic inserts, good luck trying to get everything all centered up. I really dont get the purpose of them, you cant install the rings without them. Are they trying to fix some kind of issue that people have with getting a scope all lined up? Ive been dealing with scoped rifles since I was a wee lil lad.

Anyways, local shop had what I needed (shouldve checked with them first) and these are headed back to Midway USA.

I certainly dont recommend these rings, im sure once its all centered up, they are fine, but I dont like the idea of plastic inserts (something that can be affected by heat and cold and could deteriorate over time (or not, lol).

Anyways, that is my very unscientific assessment of these rings. I ended up with Burris Zee rings without the stupid inserts.
View Quote

Yeah, they'll deteriorate the same way every other polymer gun part/polymer gun out there deteriorates...
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 4:51:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Yeah, they'll deteriorate the same way every other polymer gun part/polymer gun out there deteriorates...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably not but then again, I dont own any fantastic plastic guns either.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 9:00:57 AM EDT
[#5]
I've used these quite a bit.  They're nice for installing expensive scopes that you don't want having ring marks on 'em.  Yes, lapping rings will take care of this but the plastic inserts are quicker.  I've found them easy and quick to install.  The plastic is good to go and will last as long as you will.  The offsets are handy for those receivers that were drilled and tapped on Monday mornings or Friday afternoons.

My Dad always said that you needed to be smarter than what you were working with.  Those are good words to live by.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 12:06:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I've used these quite a bit.  They're nice for installing expensive scopes that you don't want having ring marks on 'em.  Yes, lapping rings will take care of this but the plastic inserts are quicker.  I've found them easy and quick to install.  The plastic is good to go and will last as long as you will.  The offsets are handy for those receivers that were drilled and tapped on Monday mornings or Friday afternoons.

My Dad always said that you needed to be smarter than what you were working with.  Those are good words to live by.  
View Quote

This.
Burris Signature rings are among the very best mounting systems out there for sporting rifles.
They hold the scope very solidly, in perfect alignment without any lapping and no marring of the tube. The optional offset inserts are perfect for correcting mis-drilled bases, etc.
You just need to perform the math and geometry calculations to choose the correct inserts and install them  right the first time.

OP, you did something boneheaded if you couldn't get them to work.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:53:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

This.
Burris Signature rings are among the very best mounting systems out there for sporting rifles.
They hold the scope very solidly, in perfect alignment without any lapping and no marring of the tube. The optional offset inserts are perfect for correcting mis-drilled bases, etc.
You just need to perform the math and geometry calculations to choose the correct inserts and install them  right the first time.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Don't break his balls " Ive been dealing with scoped rifles since I was a wee lil lad"
 Probably not ones with inserts that allow you to increase or decrease the MOA without having to buy another scope rail OR rings.  Hopw hard is it to put the inserts that were made for the recess in the rings to install? Unless he put them in upside down
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 4:36:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Ive never used these types of rings. (and yes, I was installing them correctly)  It was hard to get everything centered up and try to tighten down the screws. And once tightened down, you could see where the insert would bulge towards front or back, no matter how hard i was trying to center it up, just more trouble for what its worth. Im sure with enough time Id have it perfect, but rather than mess with it, i just picked up some "normal" rings, lol
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 4:54:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Burris Signature rings are some of the best.I like them a lot.I have a number of rifles scoped with Signature rings and bases.
Never had a problem of any kind.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 6:04:12 AM EDT
[#10]
I used them to correct a family members' rifle that had a pretty severe barrel droop issue. Worked like a charm. That was on a "magnum" gas ram air rifle, and those are not easy on scopes and mounts.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 6:54:27 AM EDT
[#11]
talley or OEM tikka for hunting, seekins for precision
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 10:21:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Burris Signature rings are some of the best.I like them a lot.I have a number of rifles scoped with Signature rings and bases.
Never had a problem of any kind.
View Quote

+1  The first time I used them it took a while to figure out, but once I did I would never go back.  I use them on a number of rifles from 22 to 7mm Mag, and they do work good for adding in some elevation.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 1:48:56 PM EDT
[#13]
When you tighten them down they self center to ovoid stress on the scope tube.. I've used them for years with good success.  The only ring ill use with high dollar scopes that I don't want stressed or scratched up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top