Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/10/2013 9:28:01 AM EDT
Should I trade off my 181 series mini-14 and get an HK pistol? I hardly shoot it. It mainly just sits in my safe, but it is the same caliber as my AR's.

If you had a mini 14 that you didn't use/shoot much, what would you trade it for?
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 10:51:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Personally, I would keep it. There's a huge glut in the firearms market right now with people trying to recover some $$$ from the last buying panic. With new AR's going for as little as $650 you won't get even close to what your Mini 14 is worth. If your set on selling it, wait for the next panic buying round. Great time to be a buyer, but a seller....not so much. Throw a folding stock on it while you can still but them for a reasonable price, then go shoot it. They are pretty lightweight and fun to shoot.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 11:58:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Nothing wrong with trading a gun off that you dont like or dont shoot for one you want and will shoot. Not sure if you will be able to trade a mini straight across for an HK, even a used one.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 3:36:37 PM EDT
[#3]
As much as i like guns, they're still basically a tool. If you're not using it, get rid of it. Use the money for a new one or ammo or whatever else you choose.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 3:44:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

If you had a mini 14 that you didn't use/shoot much, what would you trade it for?
View Quote

The first thing I could..................    
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 7:15:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

I didn't trade it. I SOLD it.  Then I added another several hundred dollars and bought a Delta Elite.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 7:56:51 PM EDT
[#6]
My mini (a newer stainless one) has just been sitting in the EE. Don't bother.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:26:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Cause the barrel is so thin, you can't shoot it for shit. You are a couple months late, the panic had mini's going for close to ar's. To sell it, your best bet is gunbroker. You'll probably need to toss down some cash to get a hk.

Or you could send it to here, but you'll spend some coin. It'll be a damn shooter.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:29:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I would unload the Mini14. You can replace it down the road if you miss it.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:31:33 PM EDT
[#9]
you said you had ARs......why keep something you dont use.......I dont like owning a bunch of different rifles or calibers any longer......if my rifles cant swap same parts, mags, and ammo I dont want it............dump the mini
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 7:00:39 PM EDT
[#10]
they're still basically a tool. If you're not using it, get rid of it. Use the money for a new one or ammo or whatever else you choose.http://goo.gl/aeAqdO
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 8:41:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Mine was sold for parts money towards the AR and other guns.

It was a good gun, just not too accurate and a bit redundant when I already had an AR.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 7:33:23 AM EDT
[#12]
I thought long and hard about selling mine during the panic, but I am to sentimental. I bought my Mini in '03 during the ban and played around, modifying it.

It got chopped to 16 inches, threaded, ultimak rail, ext mag release, trigger job, smaller gas bushing and a ton of different stocks.

It was a fun gun to play with, but at the end of the day, an AR was simpler to work on and more reliable. I haven't shot it much for a number of years. The Tasco Pro Point 3 was robbed from it for a Camp 9 I had.

I think I will put a Primary Arms MD on it.

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 7:42:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Of all the firearms I have owned and sold I miss my Mini-14 the most.  As a hunting rifle it was as good as any AR,  First shot accuracy on mine was awesome.  Very first shot with mine was an "X".   Groups did open up as I shot it, but so what.  If you want to spray and pray that is not a bad thing.  I am seriously considering getting one of the new ones.  I like the way mine handled too.  They are reliable, easy to maintain and I love the position of the safety.  No question it it is on or off.  

The only positive on selling mine was that I used the money to purchase it's grandpa.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top