Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/17/2012 12:47:49 AM EDT
I was shooting my new Rossi Ranch Hand (Winchester 92 copy) in .38/.357 and noticed a few of the .38's with one side of the brass case black like it was burned.  The other side of the case was normal shine brass color. Most of the 38's were unburned and all shiny looking. Also the .357 brass has a VERY slight bulge in the case. Is this considered normal? Pictures below:

Link Posted: 2/17/2012 4:27:55 AM EDT
[#1]
I have never shot .357 or .38 out of a rifle, but in a revolver the burnt cases are not rare, but I have never seen a bulge like that, but then a revolver's cyllnder is like a fully supported chamber.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 4:32:30 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm not very familiar with revolvers, but would assume the bulged case is due to the slight difference in casing outside diameter.

ETA: foot inserted in mouth
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 4:39:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Been shooting without moon clips
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 7:25:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Relatively loose chamber.  Remember headspace is set on the rim with these cartridges, so headspace is probably fine.  Chamber diameter is likely a couple thousandths over nominal.

Low pressure 38s aren't expanding the brass wide enough to make a complete seal with the chamber before some of the gas jets backward.

High(er) pressure 357s are expanding the brass out to the chamber walls (bulges).

Its not too too bad, just won't get to reload the cases as many times, and may run into a few split cases if you reload them to death.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 10:20:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the input guys. The 38's were factory WWB and the 357's were American Eagle factory loads. The gun shot very well and all the shots were touching at 15 yards. Groups were 17 inches high at 24 yards with the rear sight bottomed out. It is at the factory getting that fixed right now. Probably needs a much taller front sight.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 10:54:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Wouldn't surprise me if the chamber needs to be slightly oversized to get proper functioning.  I wouldn't sweat it.  I've had that happen to revolver brass on occasion.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 2:23:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Leverguns lack the strength to force a stubborn cartridge to chamber, chambers vary from generous too very generous.
eta if you were to full length resize that brass and reload it it would work in a Ruger and probably wouldn't chamber in a Freedom Arms chamber.(ever)
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 7:48:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Low pressure 38s aren't expanding the brass wide enough to make a complete seal with the chamber before some of the gas jets backward.

This right here.  Gas is blowing by the "unsealed" side.  No big deal.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top