Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2012 1:07:12 PM EDT
I'm curious about this rifle. My brother is interested in a Savage Axis in .223 and I have read the reviews online and some other online forums, but does anyone here have experience with them? I'm mostly interested in build quality and accuracy. My brother has it in his head that this is going to be a precision rifle, but I have some doubts. I know there are internet claims of 1/2 moa out of the box, but I'm skeptical of such reports.  
Any input is greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 1:12:51 PM EDT
[#1]
This will not be a percsion rifle... It is at best a truck/once in awhile hunting gun. They are an econmy gun and that it. If he wants a something better he needs to go with a savage 110 etc or go into the 700 seriers from Remington
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 1:13:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Find a different rifle...
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 1:19:53 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I'm curious about this rifle. My brother is interested in a Savage Axis in .223 and I have read the reviews online and some other online forums, but does anyone here have experience with them? I'm mostly interested in build quality and accuracy. My brother has it in his head that this is going to be a precision rifle, but I have some doubts. I know there are internet claims of 1/2 moa out of the box, but I'm skeptical of such reports.  

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Precision Rifle EQUAL Savage Axis.

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 1:21:55 PM EDT
[#4]
i JUST got this rifle and put 300 rounds through it so far.  first 100 were just AE .223 55gr stuff.  i wasnt trying to get perfect precision stuff, but i got right about 1.5-2 moa for the most part.  again, i wasnt really trying.  the next 200 were reloads i made (and the whole reason i got this rifle.. to test my new loads).  the 200 went fine... woohoo!!  and i got the same 1.5-2 moa.  next time i go out ill prob TRY and care about precision, i was just looking to make sure my reloads didnt KABOOM and the rifle shot fine.  after my gift cards it cost me $250, so i was even happier.  

EDIT:
the scope that comes with it is "ok" at best.  some bushnell kind if i remember correctly.  i used it for the above time i went out, gonna swap my nikon onto it for the next trip.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 1:29:15 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

i JUST got this rifle and put 300 rounds through it so far.  first 100 were just AE .223 55gr stuff.  i wasnt trying to get perfect precision stuff, but i got right about 1.5-2 moa for the most part.  again, i wasnt really trying.  the next 200 were reloads i made (and the whole reason i got this rifle.. to test my new loads).  the 200 went fine... woohoo!!  and i got the same 1.5-2 moa.  next time i go out ill prob TRY and care about precision, i was just looking to make sure my reloads didnt KABOOM and the rifle shot fine.  after my gift cards it cost me $250, so i was even happier.  

EDIT:

the scope that comes with it is "ok" at best.  some bushnell kind if i remember correctly.  i used it for the above time i went out, gonna swap my nikon onto it for the next trip.

Wait until it gets hot and the stock goes all wobbly on you in the wrist area.

It is what it is, a cheap, inexpensive, beater rifle.

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 1:42:36 PM EDT
[#6]
since im in az, ill find out about the whole hot thing 1 way or another

but i didnt get it for hunting.  i didnt get it for precision shooting.  I got it cause no 1 was selling a bolt action .223 for under $250 here in az and i just wanted a .223 to test my new loads out.

now i cant wait to start making .308.  then i can convince myself to buy a rugar scout and actually like it and HOPE i dont blow it up
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 6:59:13 PM EDT
[#7]
forget about the Axis/Edge.  If you want to save funds, go with a Stevens 200.  Folks have had great success with this action, it has much aftermarket support.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:54:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
 If you want to save funds, go with a Stevens 200.  Folks have had great success with this action, it has much aftermarket support.

I had one in 243. Extremely accurate rifle.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:59:08 PM EDT
[#9]
I think in a poor economy they sell well because people still want to buy guns.

I would consider one for a 12yr old in .243 for deer because its a cheap starter gun with a sythetic stock.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top