Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/4/2011 5:10:37 AM EDT
I posted this on Lightfighter...people found it useful...thought it might help some folks here.

Quoted:

This is my humble home preparedness neck pouch.

I got this from some stuff Clint Smith was talking about.

The idea is that a regular low-speed person like myself may not have gear around or have to travel around without that gear. Even with that gear around it can't always be put on very quickly.

The neck pouch sits anywhere near your bed or nightstand weapon and can be quickly secured around your neck.

From here items can be reached with relative ease. Mine is adjusted where the bottom of the pouch is just above my waistline. Here's what it looks like from my perspective when worn:

I know a lot of people plan to stow a mag in their pockets...I thought the same way. But what if I'm not wearing pockets? What if I just came out of the shower? What if someone broke in while I was busy with my spouse? I can wear this no matter what clothes I'm wearing ...or not wearing.

Moving it under my support arm puts the magazines in a place similar to where they are normally and also helps mitigate the weight strain on the neck...even though that shouldn't be too much an issue in a situation like this. It's not long-term gear...It's .. I just woke up and I need my support equipment.

Here's the content shot:

1- Charged cell phone. It is disconnected but still able to call out to 9-1-1. I check the battery every other night or so.

2- Flashlight, same one that I keep in my pocket. Now normally I keep a light clipped in my pocket but again there are times where I may be caught naked or without pockets. This gives me a back-up/secondary

3- Knife, same concept as the flashlight since I keep a better knife on me 99% of the time. No I don't plan to fight with it...it's there if I need it for...whatever...

4- Pistol mag...well...um...yeah you all know why that's useful.

5- Rifle mag...too easy...

So why the pistol and rifle mag? I'm not going to play the game of saying which I'd rather use in home defense. I simply subscribe to the fact that it may be either one. Common sense applies so if I sleep in a place where I only have access to my pistol...I take the rifle mag out.

The best part of this setup is that it's so small and light that I can take it with me no matter where I'm staying and stay with me at all times and carry well in a bag. It can go out with me in my bag, and easily go back to it's place when I return home. And as with all gear...it requires indexing practice.

I also have a molle belt setup but I'd like to get better pictures of that before I talk about it. Same goals apply to the setup though: Easy and quick to don with any clothes, or even while  stripped to nothing.
Link Posted: 11/4/2011 5:26:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Where do you stow the shower cookie?
Link Posted: 11/4/2011 5:28:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Man i was thinking of this exacr concept the other day.  Concept would work well with shotgun shells too. Just a bag full of shells with flashlight, knife etc. My buddy who I was going to do this for has a house full of kids, no gunsafe and had concern about keeping the shotgun loaded or with rounds mounted on a side saddle
Link Posted: 11/4/2011 5:33:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Cool idea.

No retention of the contents is my only concern.
Link Posted: 11/4/2011 5:40:16 AM EDT
[#4]
I simply keep a few loaded guns around the house, with loaded mags in various places as well.  Couple of the guns have lights on them, and I have a big LED-converted D Cell Maglight by the bed.

And then, of course, I have a Certified Man Bag that most of that kind of thing rides in that I haul around with me away from the house.

Link Posted: 11/4/2011 5:45:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Might want to add more cord on the bottom so it doesnt flop around and you can remove the items with one hand.
Link Posted: 11/4/2011 8:12:28 AM EDT
[#6]
i like it
Link Posted: 11/4/2011 6:14:09 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Might want to add more cord on the bottom so it doesnt flop around and you can remove the items with one hand.

I can already do that...and it doesn't flop around.

I understand what you're getting at but it kinda pushes over the KISS concept.
Link Posted: 11/5/2011 2:55:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/5/2011 3:29:36 PM EDT
[#9]
I remember Clint Smith pushing this idea a while back.  

Just curious why you need a pistol mag and a rifle mag?  Are you going to carry one in each hand?
Link Posted: 11/5/2011 7:28:28 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Just curious why you need a pistol mag and a rifle mag?  Are you going to carry one in each hand?

See original post for that explanation.

Added a buckle as suggested by someone else above me. Hasn't ruined the KISS affect but has added a way out of a hang-up/strangulation.

Link Posted: 11/5/2011 8:17:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:

See original post for that explanation.

Added a buckle as suggested by someone else above me. Hasn't ruined the KISS affect but has added a way out of a hang-up/strangulation.

I read it.  
The idea (as you said) is that it's something you can throw on quickly if you're in the shower or in bed or whatever when shit goes down.  If you're not wearing pants it gives you a way to carry stuff you might need.
So, if you're not wearing pants, where does the pistol go?  
The concept of the little purse thing is sound, but you've got to be realistic about it.  You're not going to jump out of the shower/out of bed/off of the wife and be able to carry two guns.

An alternate idea would be to have a stiff belt with either velcro or a quick-connect buckle.  You'd have your pistol on the nightstand (or whereever) and you mags, extra light, emergency phone, and an empty holster would be on the belt.  (If you really wanted to use your AR for HD and have the pistol too, you could have the pistol in the holster and an AR mag pouch on the belt too.)  The belt would be just as quick to put on as the pouch and you'd have a place to holster your pistol if you needed both hands or when the police showed up.  

Link Posted: 11/5/2011 9:58:35 PM EDT
[#12]
If you read again...closely....you'll see I addressed the magazine question and also briefly mentioned my belt system.
Link Posted: 11/5/2011 10:57:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Only use that cell phone if you can't get to a land line, 911 operators care about one thing before any other, "WHERE"  A land line instantly tells them. Cell phones do not.
Link Posted: 11/6/2011 4:30:14 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Only use that cell phone if you can't get to a land line, 911 operators care about one thing before any other, "WHERE"  A land line instantly tells them. Cell phones do not.

Understood. Landlines aren't too prevalent in the places I stay though, but I'll remember that.

Link Posted: 11/6/2011 6:47:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If you read again...closely....you'll see I addressed the magazine question and also briefly mentioned my belt system.

Well shit, I guess they were right about my attention span.  My apologies, carry on.
Link Posted: 11/6/2011 6:49:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well shit, I guess they were right about my attention span.  My apologies, carry on.

They were over generous. They also didn't mention your ears, they really should have. Something could have been done when you were younger, now, only amputation.
Link Posted: 11/6/2011 6:58:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They were over generous. They also didn't mention your ears, they really should have. Something could have been done when you were younger, now, only amputation.

I hope the dalmation bites you.

Link Posted: 11/6/2011 2:19:15 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hope the dalmation bites you.

HA!

It's all good.

In regards to having a full bag setup...or a molle belt...YES! These are better options in my eyes. So why the little pouch?

A lot simpler and more inexpensive and smaller. That's a budget issue and a KISS-function issue. Those are things you run into when trying to train/equip people who are not exactly "gun people."  Like my Dad or my mom's boyfriend. Both of them own police trade-in Glock .40 cals with Uncle Mike holsters. You try to tell them about anything upwards of $40 and they get crazy, they want to defend themselves but they haven't exactly broken the threshold yet.

That pouch costs $7-$10. Throw in an old cell phone and a magazine with your defense ammo and you're good...and it's easier to convince them to use it.

Oh yeah...again...also a travel issue. Can't really take my molle belt with me to Grandmama's house with all the kids there and have it sitting out like I might do at home. The pouch is easier to tuck somewhere or just keep in my light travel kit.

Link Posted: 12/20/2011 11:57:03 AM EDT
[#19]
I am gonna have to build one of these
Link Posted: 12/20/2011 3:42:22 PM EDT
[#20]
This is quite possibly the best idea I have seen all year.

I am already plotting mine. I think I might just throw in my PT738 into the bag as well since it is quite small.
Link Posted: 12/20/2011 6:29:23 PM EDT
[#21]
I like it!

I use something similar but a bit larger.  I use a Maxpedition Thermite with similar contents but more magazines.  I have been thinking of getting something smaller and may steal your idea.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 6:34:21 AM EDT
[#22]

I picked up this Eagle carrier from SKD during their sale due to this thread. I have a G19, an extra mag, a cell phone, a flashlight, and a Spyderco.

My 870 has a side saddle so I did not feel the need to put extra rounds for that in the pouch.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 10:05:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Something about the guard bag, the scattered mre's and standard "dormroom" furniture in the room makes me think you're in the gaurd/a cadet corps somewhere in college, I like that all reservists and gaurdsmen in college (just a guess) have there own arsenal and preparedness bags/etc, makes me feel better about my daughter being in college! her boyfriends has a similar set up in his apartment just off campus.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 8:12:12 AM EDT
[#24]
I actually got kicked out of ROTC....and I was one of the good ones.

From personal experience I can't say I trust the college kid boot cadets like myself....I'm disciplined...praise God...most of those kids are just no different from other college kids, but they put on the uniform...and do nothing but chase tail and drink booze.  Prior service guardsmen and guys who went from Active to ROTC are usually a bit more squared away.

The Guard bag....I can't wait to get rid of that thing, just can't afford anything else yet...even though now I work in a store that sells bags I need. but I have to admit...it's served me well. http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_10/118768_EDC___Important_carry_stuff.html&page=2

A note on shells and side saddles...

Quoted:
Man i was thinking of this exacr concept the other day.  Concept would work well with shotgun shells too. Just a bag full of shells with flashlight, knife etc. My buddy who I was going to do this for has a house full of kids, no gunsafe and had concern about keeping the shotgun loaded or with rounds mounted on a side saddle

Using a velcro side saddle allows you to carry a backup "card" of shells. If the side saddle on your shotgun goes empty, God forbid.... you can rip it off, reach in your pouch for that card of shells, and tack it back on to the velcro on your receiver. I thought this was a good idea....but never tried it myself, verified it with a friend this morning who has much more experience than I.

I like that Eagle Carrier...and hey...a velcro card of shotgun shells might stick to the velcro on the carrer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top