Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2011 9:43:26 AM EDT
Who makes or imports a long barrelled AK-47 style gun?
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 10:24:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Do you mean a Dragonuv type rifle? Your question is unclear.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 11:36:32 AM EDT
[#2]
The PTR-32 is probably the most accurate sem-auto rifle you're going to find in that caliber. It takes certain AK-47 mags although the action is HK. The barrel is much longer than an AK so even with irons accuracy will be much better than an AK...
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 11:50:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Russian-American Armory imports 20-inch barreled Saiga (AK action) rifles in 7.62x39. With good ammo they're capable of great accuracy. Arsenal Inc. has made and might still make some long-barreled RPK-style rifles. Arsenal rifles are extremely well-made.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 11:52:54 AM EDT
[#4]
the only one currently available is a Century Arms Romanian import.....AES-10.  There were a bunch of Chinese pre-ban and early ban era.  IIRC some Century Arms/ Egyptian/ Chinese hi-brids had long barrels.

advntrjnky
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 1:38:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The PTR-32 is probably the most accurate sem-auto rifle you're going to find in that caliber. It takes certain AK-47 mags although the action is HK. The barrel is much longer than an AK so even with irons accuracy will be much better than an AK...

All other things being equal,. bbl. length is a negative factor WRT accuracy (longer bbl. = increased harmonic amplitude).

That said, the PTR-32 is a very interesting design.  I've been surprised it hasn't gotten more attention here.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 5:32:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

All other things being equal,. bbl. length is a negative factor WRT accuracy (longer bbl. = increased harmonic amplitude).

That said, the PTR-32 is a very interesting design.  I've been surprised it hasn't gotten more attention here.

Yep... I just picked one up. 1.5 MOA from a bench with Hornady SST factory ammo at 100 yards with irons and relatively bad eyes. Amazed me. I can't wait  to see what somebody can do with a scope and handloads.

I had to modify the AK magazine lips a bit to fix a feeding problem but then she runs 100%.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 7:38:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 7:52:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Optimum barrel length for 7.62x39 is only ~20" (SKS barrel length).  7.62x39 AK's also have loose chambers and rather thin barrels, which doesn't help accuracy.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:27:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Might look for a norico nhm-91, 20" heavy barrel
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top