Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/19/2009 8:53:01 PM EDT
I often here about why they're toted to as having the barrels aligned to be hitting the same hole at a set amount of distance, such as 50 metres. Why?
To me, it'd make more sense to just have them parallel. It'd be easier to manufacture (I think) that way, and about 3/4" of an inch won't make that much of a difference (especially on big game). I mean, if you think about it, a deer's vitals are about 6 MOA (so being 3/4" of isn't a big deal), and I'd assume African big game is a significant amount larger.

And on shotguns, I've always heard you have to aim an inch to the side when shooting clays with a SxS, but not with a pump, semi, or O/U. Considering you're shooting many little pellets, possible making a shot pattern a couple feet wide, I don't think it matters much, no?
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:27:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Parallell barrels in double guns would make sense to me as well. My guess would be some technical issue that makes this hard to do.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 3:22:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Just a guess on my part, but they are regulated to where they shoot, i.e. just because the bores are parallel, doesn't automatically mean they'll place projectiles next to each other in a nice pattern.

You'd need a sight on each barrel to aim the thing. With the barrels regulated, only one sight is needed.

As to 50 yds? For dangerous game at close range? Only thing I can think of.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top