Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2009 8:08:20 AM EDT
Does anyone have any experience with these?

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-shooting/products/mounting-systems-and-accessories/mounting-systems/qr-mounts/

I know this is ARFCOM and the picatinny rail is the end all be all, but this is going on a Mauser 458 WM safari rifle, so a rail just wouldn't be right. The QR mounts look low profile and the scope would be for mostly working up loads. The express sights will be for serious 4-legged work.

Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 12:30:58 PM EDT
[#1]

I have a set on my Savage 110FP.  I traded for the rifle and it had the QR base and 1" rings.  Instead of buying a new base and rings I just bought a set of 30mm rings to save money.  The scope holds zero without issue but I don't think that the rings are truely designed for the scope to be removed and replaced and acheive sub MOA repeatabilty.  I have never removed mine to find out.  

Now that I have experience with the Leupold QR set up I don't think I would buy it for a new application.  No specific reason, other than I am not one for moving scopes around from one platform to another.   I think for your situation though, it may be the best and most asthetically pleasing alternative.  The rings are not bulky at all.  

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 1:07:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I have this set up on one of my rigs.  It suits my needs to go between a heavy brush scope and long-range scope on my .270.

However, I might suggest a look into Talley's QD bases with pop-up peep sight.  It seems more suited for what it seems you are seeking in terms of usage, or potential usage.  

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 1:18:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm going to have to look at the talley basesand see if they have lower profile offering. I do not have the rifle in hand yet as it was just shipped, but I'm afraid if the bases are too high, I won't be able to use the barrel mounted express sights. I do find the peep sight a neat idea, but this is hardly a precision rifle, and express sights make a rifle point like a shotgun imho.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 1:27:37 PM EDT
[#4]
You don't have to use a small match type aperature in the rear.  I've seen these come in and out of the shop on a coule of guns set up for trips across the Atlantic in the Southerly direction with reasonable aperatures for what they were intended for.  Very neat idea IMO.

From the looks in the pictures, a person could very well remove the aperature altogether and use the existing part that holds the aperature piece, as a ghost ring in itself.  FWIW.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 1:59:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
From the looks in the pictures, a person could very well remove the aperature altogether and use the existing part that holds the aperature piece, as a ghost ring in itself.  FWIW.

I didn't even think about that. Gives me something to consider.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:57:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I've used them on my muzzleloader for years.  They work great!
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 9:46:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Leopold also makes quick detach weaver style ring and and base sets(They seem solid, but haven't had the chance to use them much).  I have a set that I has the rear part of the rear base milled down to accept a Williams 5D aperture(windage adjustable only via the 2 screws that hold it to the base).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top