Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/11/2009 9:14:28 PM EDT
I installed a Vortex flash hider on my Daewoo DR-200 and the first thing I noticed was when I charged the bolt, there was a ringing resonance sound.  Like a tuning fork being struck.  I thought it might have been my newly installed railed handguards but today I found it's the flash hider.  With the 4 tines being open, any vibration from charging or shooting results in a ringing sound.

Anyone else experienced this?
Link Posted: 4/11/2009 9:29:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Nope.

My dog don't even cock their heads with that "what is that noise look" when I charge my (Vortex equipped) AR.
They just think, "Dad's gonna go kill one of those mongrel coyotes."
Link Posted: 4/11/2009 9:30:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah it's kind of weird.
I wanted something quieter than my YHM brake (which the vortex is) but I think the rifle doesn't shoot quite as precisely as it did before (not a lot of testing yet, just seems to be the case). I do like the way it looks and the fact that it is quieter than the brake though.
Link Posted: 4/11/2009 10:19:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Never heard that on the one I had.
Link Posted: 4/11/2009 11:28:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes.
Link Posted: 4/12/2009 1:23:29 AM EDT
[#5]
No crush washer may have someting to do with it.?. I guess its kinda like a tuning fork effect.
Link Posted: 4/12/2009 2:00:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Yes. I've got one on a bolt action and get the same thing.

Edit: It's real noticeable with my Peltors on.
CHRIS

Link Posted: 4/12/2009 8:13:50 PM EDT
[#7]
glad i'm not alone but this sounds like a real problem with their design.  this couldn't have been designed intentionally that way.  i don't remember my aug open slot flash hider doing that.  i permanently attached it so i guess i gotta drill it out and use a phantom instead.
Link Posted: 4/13/2009 4:26:37 AM EDT
[#8]
I get that ring sound with a CCF flash hider on a HK USP 45 Tactical too.
Link Posted: 4/13/2009 4:32:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Ya, mine does it too.  I don't think it's a "tactical" concern considering racking the slide is far louder that the ringing of the Vortex.  If they are close enough to worry about the ringing.....they already heard you rack it.

Also, if you flick the tines you can get it to make the same noise.

JFYI....

Sean
Link Posted: 4/13/2009 5:36:03 AM EDT
[#10]
According to Smith Enterprises, the harmonics built into the Vortex is part of the reason why it works so well in eliminating 99% of the flash.  All three of mine do it (2 on 5.56 and 1 on 6.8 SPC) and I could care less because they work so well.

MadDog
Link Posted: 4/13/2009 5:36:43 AM EDT
[#11]
I've never heard mine ring on my Bolt gun.

I'll have to listen for it next time.
Link Posted: 4/13/2009 5:43:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Yes, but it's not too bad.

It's really bad with my AAC FH.
Link Posted: 4/13/2009 5:48:23 AM EDT
[#13]
The ringing goes away when the tines eventually blossom and break off.

I have had that happen to two older model Vortex flash hiders. As a result, I would never recommend someone permanently mount one.
Link Posted: 4/13/2009 2:06:06 PM EDT
[#14]
The harmonics is what dissapates the gases. That's why they discontinued the ones with the groove near the top for the rubber washer.  Someone else complained so they made some with a groove and a black rubber waher and it affected the harmonics and the flash signature,,,,so they went back to original design.

~R.

P.S. That's what I was told........if it's B.S. I'm just passing it on and not making it up.
Link Posted: 4/17/2009 10:45:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Yes, they ring for a reason.

If you dont like it, run a strand of safety wire around the end in the groove. That'll stop it. Of course, I doubt it'll work as well ...( no I wont post the pics)

Take it out and fire it at night with and without the wire and see for youself.

* on a side note, if you aren't careful when you use heat to attach one, you can alter the H.T of the flashhider causing failures that otherwise wouldn't occur

Link Posted: 4/18/2009 2:59:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The ringing goes away when the tines eventually blossom and break off.

I have had that happen to two older model Vortex flash hiders. As a result, I would never recommend someone permanently mount one.

Glad to know. That's what I had planned to top off my 14.5". Guess its a phantom FH now.

buckmeister
Link Posted: 4/18/2009 3:39:42 PM EDT
[#17]
My last Vortex started to blossom after only 300 rounds on my .223 Remington 700 with a 20" barrel. I sent it to Smith and they replaced it. That was about 4 years ago.
Link Posted: 4/18/2009 4:01:32 PM EDT
[#18]
I have had two of the older Vortex FH do the same thing. I stress OLD Vortex FH. The new ones do not seem to have this issue and I have pinned two of the new ones on two of my 14.5 inch barrles without any issues at all.
Link Posted: 4/18/2009 8:01:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have had two of the older Vortex FH do the same thing. I stress OLD Vortex FH. The new ones do not seem to have this issue and I have pinned two of the new ones on two of my 14.5 inch barrles without any issues at all.

How do you tell an older version, prone to "blossom" from a newer "improved" version?

buckmeister
Link Posted: 4/18/2009 8:20:39 PM EDT
[#20]
This is what the older design looked like. This is a picture of an Air Soft knock off.

This is the newer design. It looks and feels much stronger and beefed up.
Link Posted: 4/18/2009 8:47:36 PM EDT
[#21]
I have a RRA AR pistol, and it rings like a tuning fork...
Link Posted: 4/19/2009 8:43:58 PM EDT
[#22]
i have an older style, are they upgrading or do you have to wait for it to blossom before they'll replace it?
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 7:40:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top