Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/15/2008 7:37:47 AM EDT
I'm in the market for new semi-auto shotgun.  Requirements are that it handle both 2 3/4 and 3" shells and have a wood stock.  Budget is $1k or less.  I'm leaning towards the Beretta 390 and 391 or Benelli guns but haven't ruled anything out.

Anyone have an opinion?
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 7:58:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Benelli, all the way.  
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 8:28:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Saiga-12.
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 8:50:36 AM EDT
[#3]
beretta 391
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 10:38:04 AM EDT
[#4]

Saiga-12.

Already have one.

The local Dick's has an AL391 for $899  Is this the same as the 391?

Link Posted: 7/15/2008 10:38:23 AM EDT
[#5]

Benelli, all the way.

Which model?
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 10:43:54 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Saiga-12.

Already have one.

The local Dick's has an AL391 for $899  Is this the same as the 391?

AL391 Urika...  Absolutely fantastic shotgun.  That is what I would get.

- AG
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 11:30:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Benelli M3s90, best money i ever spent on a gun
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 12:20:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Benelli Sport II
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 12:33:05 PM EDT
[#9]
benelli

take your pick because they are top notch auto loaders
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 1:08:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Auto 5, I don't even own one and I love those things..Old Browning shotguns are awesome.
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 5:03:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Take it from me... I've owned them all.  I've cleaned them all.  I've been around lots of autoloaders and the Benelli is the best functioning, best shooting autoloader on the market.  There really is no comparison.

The Benelli inertia driven system is by far the best.  Gas operated shotguns blow.

Here is your gun... gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=104839479    If it's going to be 50/50 clays/hunting go with the Montefeltro.  Shoot more clays go with the Sport. Shoot more birds go with the Super Black Eagle.
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 6:27:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Remington Model 11, which is the less costly version of the A5. There are a lot of them that can be found on Gunbroker in good condition. There is a reason they sold for close to half a century.
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 6:30:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Remington 1100 or 1187. If you are going to use and abuse it, I recommend the "Special Purpose" finish.

Accountant
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 6:45:29 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Benelli Sport II

+ 1

Cheers!

Sakic #19

p.s. I would opt for the 30" barrel IMHO.
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 7:16:36 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
There is a reason they sold for close to half a century.

Yeah, they're cheap... same reason McDonalds has sold Billions of burgers.  Just because eveyone eats a Big Mac doesn't mean they are good or good for you.
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 8:02:34 PM EDT
[#16]
probably get flamed from this benelli crowd, but my baikal mp153 shoots every 12 ga I can fit in it. steel rated, and mine came with all the chokes.

was by far the favorite at the bachlor party last weekend shooting clays (thats just how we started the weekend). very low recoil, we ended up putting about 1000 rounds thru it, and it never missed a beat, and nobody was complaining about sore shoulders.

they are also reasonably priced.

not mine, but heres one on gunbroker.
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 10:08:50 PM EDT
[#17]
I have many hunting shotguns, including a Beretta Pintail, 390 and Xtrema. Out of all of my Benelli, Franchi, Brownings, Remingtons, my Pintail is by far my favorite. I have yet to find a hunting gun I like more...

The Pintail uses the Benelli ID system and takes cues from the Benelli M121 and M1S90. Its performance is identical to Benelli's costing hundreds/thousands more as it uses the same operating mechanism/principles. This operating system is reliable/durable and very forgiving. Once broken in, you can shoot light trap loads all the way up to heavy 3 inch F shot. In the goose blind/duck pit/pheasant field, I haven't ever seen a shotgun that rivals the Benelli ID system in reliability. The Pintail has better feel/ergonomics than any Benelli I have ever seen/shot. Apparently people agree, as I have several friends that sold thier Benelli M1/SBE's to buy a Pintail after shooting mine.

I think they stopped making the Pintail, but you should be able to find one for 600.00 or less. They are incredible guns and I am certain you will like them.

The 390 is kinda the gold standard in gas operated field guns. However good it might be, its an older generation gas gun and isn't without fault. It isn't as reliable or forgiving as the Benelli ID system. If you aren't hunting in hard environments or using varying types of ammo, this may or may not be consequential to you. The 390 is pretty good and would make a great gun for your purpose, but the Pintail is a better choice IMO.

While my Pintail is my favorite, I also have a Franchi 612, AL48 and Raptor that I like. The 612 is a gas gun that is comperable to the 390, though I like the Franchi a little more. The AL48 is among the lightest 12's availible and uses an A5 esque operating system. If you are using heavy duty ammo, the AL48 might not be fore you... When I use hi-po pheasant loads, I can really feel it. I am trying to find a 28 gauge variant right now...The Raptor is the upper end of the new Franchis. It uses an ID system like the Benelli, but has better balance and costs less.

I am a Benelli whore in my defensive guns, but just don't like thier field guns that much. I have long toyed with getting an SBEII, but don't like them enough to chunk down the money. Besides, my Raptor and Pintail use the same operating system.

Check out the new ID Franchi's such as the I12 or Raptor. These use the Benelli ID system/principles, yet I find them to have better feel and they are typically less expensive. You could have a used Raptor/I12 for around 550.00 or so if you shop around.

The 390 is a good choice, but look at the Pintail first. The latter is a much better gun IMO.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 4:55:07 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Saiga-12.

Did you happen to read the requirements?

I've had good luck with Benellis.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 3:07:50 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Saiga-12.

Did you happen to read the requirements?

I've had good luck with Benellis.

Requirements are that it:
handle both 2 3/4 and 3" shells check
wood stock. check, you can get some wood furniture
$1k or less. you can still get them modded for under $1k
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 7:17:00 PM EDT
[#20]
I never shot clays until I bought a Benelli M1 HK import from my dad last year.  When I mentioned trying my had at it with it he told me it wouldn't work being so short.  

I beg to differ, I can regularly hit 9 out of 9 with it.

Maybe I'm not doing it right though...and yes we use a launcher and they are in the air moving...
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 10:04:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Winchester Super-X II

Outstanding shotgun.  Mine is a 3 1/2" chamber and still cycles great with the lightest 2 3/4" loads that I shoot most of the time..

It's basically an FN something or another, I can't remember the model.. Before you let all the Benelli fans stomp on gas guns give one a try.. You'll get your money back if you sell it, the Super-X holds its value quite well.  

Link Posted: 7/16/2008 10:41:11 PM EDT
[#22]
I have an old Winchester model 50 that I really like.  It's a great trap gun.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 10:44:54 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
probably get flamed from this benelli crowd, but my baikal mp153 shoots every 12 ga I can fit in it. steel rated, and mine came with all the chokes.

was by far the favorite at the bachlor party last weekend shooting clays (thats just how we started the weekend). very low recoil, we ended up putting about 1000 rounds thru it, and it never missed a beat, and nobody was complaining about sore shoulders.

they are also reasonably priced.

not mine, but heres one on gunbroker.

I love my Baikal, too.

It is my duck gun, and never misses a beat.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 6:10:18 AM EDT
[#24]
I spoke with a guy yesterday who has a Benelli SBE II in walnut for sale for $900.  This seems like a great deal but I really don't need a gun that shoot's 3 1/2" shells.  I don't know for a fact but I reason that if it shoots 3 1/2" shells that it may not reliably cycle the light dove/target loads that I'll probably be shooting the most.

Anyone have a SBE II ?  Does it cycle the really light loads ok?

I could get a new Beretta Urika 391 for the same price.  The SBE II with walnut stock in in great condition with only like 350 shells through it.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 6:32:02 AM EDT
[#25]
It really comes down to fit.

You can adjust the Benelli for drop, while the Beretta 391 you can adjust for cast and drop.  Still, though, it needs to point properly and that can mean other stock fit factors.  Does the "pistol grip" put your hand in the correct position?  For me the ability to make the shotgun fit me is the most important factor.

Next, you have to handle the shotgun with the barrel length that you are interested in.  How does it balance in your hands?  Some shotguns are great on paper/spec sheets and are absolutely "dead" when they are handled "in the flesh".

The next thing to consider is the location of the controls.  If you are hunting then take a good long look at the location of the safety.  You can adapt to some degree, but it shouldn't be a real awkward motion to take the safety off.

You didn't state that you wanted a 12 gauge, but I would guess that you probably do.  I have a Benelli Montefeltro in 20 and I absolutely love it.  Unfortunately, I feel Benellis are over-priced.  They also do produce more recoil than a gas operated semi-auto does- at least the 12 gauge models do.  I can't really feel much difference between my Benelli 20 and a friend's 391 in 20 when shot side by side.  My Benelli 12 kicked harder than comparable gas guns.

This is an issue for clays.  It is not an issue for hunting.  You need to decide which is more important for you.  For instance, if you are a casual clays shooter and live to hunt (and have, on occasion, used a shotgun as a substitute canoe paddle) then go with the Benelli.  

I would be hard pressed to choose between the Benelli and the Beretta 391.  In 20 gauge I would go with my Benelli, merely because the weight is very low, the shotgun fits me and the best reason of all- I have confidence in my shooting with it.

Bottom line?  You need to forget the spec sheets and handle the shotguns in question.  Take your time, and if at all possible shoot the models in question.  
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 6:34:36 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I spoke with a guy yesterday who has a Benelli SBE II in walnut for sale for $900.  This seems like a great deal but I really don't need a gun that shoot's 3 1/2" shells.  I don't know for a fact but I reason that if it shoots 3 1/2" shells that it may not reliably cycle the light dove/target loads that I'll probably be shooting the most.

Anyone have a SBE II ?  Does it cycle the really light loads ok?

I could get a new Beretta Urika 391 for the same price.  The SBE II with walnut stock in in great condition with only like 350 shells through it.

If you are not a serious duck hunter then I would pass on the SBE.

The Montefeltro Benelli or the 391 will probably handle better for you.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 6:48:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Benelli Montefeltro.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:55:37 AM EDT
[#28]
What's the difference between the Montefeltro and the M2?  Is the Montefeltro just prettier wood and gloss blueing?  
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 2:19:10 PM EDT
[#29]
I like the feel of the Montefeltro better, it has a slimmer, longer forearm and I think it swings and balances better.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 3:55:09 PM EDT
[#30]
American made Remington premier 11-87. Beautiful soft shooting gun.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 6:10:28 AM EDT
[#31]
I like the Remington Premier's but they discontinued them a year or so ago (11-87 at least).

When I got the bug to get a semi shotgun Remington was my first thougth.  I have an 870 express but it's fitted out with a 20" barrel and 8 shot mag tube.  

I've heard that the Beretta and Benelli's are a true improvement in reliability over the Remington's o-ring design.  

As it stands I think I'm leaning toward the Benelli Montefeltro in 12ga 26 or 28" barrels.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 1:03:07 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
There is a reason they sold for close to half a century.

Yeah, they're cheap... same reason McDonalds has sold Billions of burgers.  Just because eveyone eats a Big Mac doesn't mean they are good or good for you.

Cheap?  The Mod 11 is a clone of theA5,hand made ,hand honed,hand fitted.

The A5 is inertia as well as the benneli but has double set triggers,and will fire faster than your benneli and most gas gun made.

The only shotguns that will fire as fast as the A5 are pumps with a real World class shooter behind them!

Cheap is not a way to describe the A5 or the Mod 11.

Bob
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:23:15 AM EDT
[#33]
Here's another vote for the Winchester Model 50. It uses the same short recoil/inertia system that the modern Benelli's use but was on the market back in the mid 50's. No gas assembly to clean and no "O" rings to wear out. There are plenty of parts and barrels available and plenty for sale on the auction sites. > Gary
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:32:00 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I like the feel of the Montefeltro better, it has a slimmer, longer forearm and I think it swings and balances better.

I have the field model of the older super90.  I looked at the montefeltro, but the wood and the price of the super 90 (in my case) made it a no brainer.  The montefeltro felt lik ean O/U.  Slimer gun...the M2 (identical to my super 90) had a more traditional 11-87 autoloader feel to it.

Without a doubt you will love the inerta action...I had a 11-87 and my benelli is so much cleaner shooting.  I'll never go back to a gas shotgun again.
Link Posted: 7/31/2008 12:47:23 AM EDT
[#35]
winchester sx3 in composit with a 3" chamber. It has drop and cast adjustments. Eats everything from the lightest skeet loads to heavy bismuth without a problem. They run about $900 and did I mention that it holds the world record for fastest cycling 12 guage semiauto @ 12 rounds in 1.44 sec.

media.winchesterguns.com/video/wmv/winchesterSX3.wmv
Link Posted: 7/31/2008 7:58:19 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Benelli, all the way.  

+1 I have one and love it its a 12 gauge Benelli Super Sport. Points and shoots better than any other shotgun I have handled.
Link Posted: 8/1/2008 5:17:26 AM EDT
[#37]
Go w/ the berretta.  A buudy is into spoting clays & burns 12,000 rnds a year. no problems. Getting one myself this week.

That said, the benelli super black eagle was pick# 2.  More recoil, but more reliable in crap conditions (recoil system)

Can't go wrong w/ either, but the berretta fits me better.
Link Posted: 8/1/2008 5:47:44 AM EDT
[#38]
Benelli M1.  I've seen too many people have problems with their Berettas. Broken bolts, seized gas piston, jammed operating springs, etc.

Prib

Link Posted: 8/1/2008 7:41:14 AM EDT
[#39]
I would go with a Winchester SX3 myself if I wanted an expensive auto.  They seem impressive on paper, however I havent shot one yet, so I guess I am talking out my ass on that.  I did shoot a buddies SX2 and it was nice.

I dont like the recoil on the inertial guns.  I really think the Benellis are way overrated personally.  If I was going to put up with that much recoil, I would just get a pump gun for hunting, which I did for many years and was perfectly fine.  I still prefer pump guns for duck hunting.  Dove and clays is where the gas guns really shine, after a few hundred rounds with a pump or inertial gun, you really start to feel it in your cheek and shoulder.  Gas guns I can shoot literally all day with much less fatigue.  For me the slightly increased maintenance requirements for a gas gun are a small price to pay for their recoil characteristics.

I have a CZ-712, which is gas operated and is pretty much a clone of the Franchi 712.  Similar gas system to a Rem 1100.  Its nothing fancy or high tech but as long as you keep the gas system lubed and replace the O-ring every few thousand rounds, it runs fine and was cheap, less than $300 actually.  Low weight, low recoil, and I wont cry if I scratch it or drop it in the drink.  I prefer alloy frames to steel, I like light guns and dont use them as prybars or hammers.

As the other guys said, fitting the gun to you is important, as with anything there is no one magic gun that fits everyone.  Expensive guns wont make you a better shooter.  You can do the same thing with a beat up Rem 1100 that you can with a high dollar fancy shotgun, as long as it fits you well and you have the skills to drive it.

Link Posted: 8/1/2008 10:19:24 AM EDT
[#40]
SAIGA12!
Link Posted: 8/1/2008 10:29:23 AM EDT
[#41]
There is minimal, if any recoil from shooting 8 shot in just about all shotguns, and hardly noticeable through a Benelli.

Prib
Link Posted: 8/1/2008 10:53:31 AM EDT
[#42]
Beretta 391 or Benelli Montefeltro.  Was in a similar pickle a few months ago.  Instead I got the Benelli Supersport.  .  Pay once cry once
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top