Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/22/2007 9:16:59 PM EDT
    Guys, call your representatives in Washington and tell them this shit wont fly....SPREAD THE WORD and spread this to other forums you visit.....we have to start fighting again.......you all know whats at stake, I personally dont ever want to spend $100 for glock mag again.....and this one will be WAY worse.....read it and weep  fellas

Assault Weapons Ban and Law Enforcement Protection Act of 2007 (Introduced in House)

HR 1022 IH

110th CONGRESS

1st Session

H. R. 1022
To reauthorize the assault weapons ban, and for other purposes.

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

February 13, 2007
Mrs. MCCARTHY of New York introduced the following bill; which was referred to the Committee on the Judiciary

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A BILL
To reauthorize the assault weapons ban, and for other purposes.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the `Assault Weapons Ban and Law Enforcement Protection Act of 2007'.

SEC. 2. REINSTATEMENT FOR 10 YEARS OF REPEALED CRIMINAL PROVISIONS RELATING TO ASSAULT WEAPONS AND LARGE CAPACITY AMMUNITION FEEDING DEVICES.

(a) Reinstatement of Provisions Wholly Repealed- Paragraphs (30) and (31) of section 921(a), subsections (v) and (w) and Appendix A of section 922, and the last 2 sentences of section 923(i) of title 18, United States Code, as in effect just before the repeal made by section 110105(2) of the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994, are hereby enacted into law.

(b) Reinstatement of Provisions Partially Repealed- Section 924 of title 18, United States Code, is amended--

(1) in subsection (a)(1), by striking subparagraph (B) and inserting the following:

`(B) knowingly violates subsection (a)(4), (f), (k), (r), (v), or (w) of section 922;'; and

(2) in subsection (c)(1)(B), by striking clause (i) and inserting the following:

`(i) is a short-barreled rifle, short-barreled shotgun, or semiautomatic assault weapon, the person shall be sentenced to a term of imprisonment of not less than 10 years; or'.

SEC. 3. DEFINITIONS.

(a) In General- Section 921(a)(30) of title 18, United States Code, as added by section 2(a) of this Act, is amended to read as follows:

`(30) The term `semiautomatic assault weapon' means any of the following:

`(A) The following rifles or copies or duplicates thereof:

`(i) AK, AKM, AKS, AK-47, AK-74, ARM, MAK90, Misr, NHM 90, NHM 91, SA 85, SA 93, VEPR;

`(ii) AR-10;

`(iii) AR-15, Bushmaster XM15, Armalite M15, or Olympic Arms PCR;

`(iv) AR70;

`(v) Calico Liberty;

`(vi) Dragunov SVD Sniper Rifle or Dragunov SVU;

`(vii) Fabrique National FN/FAL, FN/LAR, or FNC;

`(viii) Hi-Point Carbine;

`(ix) HK-91, HK-93, HK-94, or HK-PSG-1;

`(x) Kel-Tec Sub Rifle;

`(xi) M1 Carbine;

`(xii) Saiga;

`(xiii) SAR-8, SAR-4800;

`(xiv) SKS with detachable magazine;

`(xv) SLG 95;

`(xvi) SLR 95 or 96;

`(xvii) Steyr AUG;

`(xviii) Sturm, Ruger Mini-14;

`(xix) Tavor;

`(xx) Thompson 1927, Thompson M1, or Thompson 1927 Commando; or

`(xxi) Uzi, Galil and Uzi Sporter, Galil Sporter, or Galil Sniper Rifle (Galatz).

`(B) The following pistols or copies or duplicates thereof:

`(i) Calico M-110;

`(ii) MAC-10, MAC-11, or MPA3;

`(iii) Olympic Arms OA;

`(iv) TEC-9, TEC-DC9, TEC-22 Scorpion, or AB-10; or

`(v) Uzi.

`(C) The following shotguns or copies or duplicates thereof:

`(i) Armscor 30 BG;

`(ii) SPAS 12 or LAW 12;

`(iii) Striker 12; or

`(iv) Streetsweeper.

`(D) A semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine, and that has--

`(i) a folding or telescoping stock;

`(ii) a threaded barrel;

`(iii) a pistol grip;

`(iv) a forward grip; or

`(v) a barrel shroud.

`(E)(i) Except as provided in clause (ii), a semiautomatic rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.

`(ii) Clause (i) shall not apply to an attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with, .22 caliber rimfire ammunition.

`(F) A semiautomatic pistol that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine, and has--

`(i) a second pistol grip;

`(ii) a threaded barrel;

`(iii) a barrel shroud; or

`(iv) the capacity to accept a detachable magazine at a location outside of the pistol grip.

`(G) A semiautomatic pistol with a fixed magazine that has the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.

`(H) A semiautomatic shotgun that has--

`(i) a folding or telescoping stock;

`(ii) a pistol grip;

`(iii) the ability to accept a detachable magazine; or

`(iv) a fixed magazine capacity of more than 5 rounds.

`(I) A shotgun with a revolving cylinder.

`(J) A frame or receiver that is identical to, or based substantially on the frame or receiver of, a firearm described in any of subparagraphs (A) through (I) or (L).

`(K) A conversion kit.

`(L) A semiautomatic rifle or shotgun originally designed for military or law enforcement use, or a firearm based on the design of such a firearm, that is not particularly suitable for sporting purposes, as determined by the Attorney General. In making the determination, there shall be a rebuttable presumption that a firearm procured for use by the United States military or any Federal law enforcement agency is not particularly suitable for sporting purposes, and a firearm shall not be determined to be particularly suitable for sporting purposes solely because the firearm is suitable for use in a sporting event.'.

(b) Related Definitions- Section 921(a) of such title is amended by adding at the end the following:

`(36) Barrel Shroud- The term `barrel shroud' means a shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel of a firearm so that the shroud protects the user of the firearm from heat generated by the barrel, but does not include a slide that encloses the barrel, and does not include an extension of the stock along the bottom of the barrel which does not encircle or substantially encircle the barrel.

`(37) Conversion Kit- The term `conversion kit' means any part or combination of parts designed and intended for use in converting a firearm into a semiautomatic assault weapon, and any combination of parts from which a semiautomatic assault weapon can be assembled if the parts are in the possession or under the control of a person.

`(38) Detachable Magazine- The term `detachable magazine' means an ammunition feeding device that can readily be inserted into a firearm.

`(39) Fixed Magazine- The term `fixed magazine' means an ammunition feeding device contained in, or permanently attached to, a firearm.

`(40) Folding or Telescoping Stock- The term `folding or telescoping stock' means a stock that folds, telescopes, or otherwise operates to reduce the length, size, or any other dimension, or otherwise enhances the concealability, of a firearm.

`(41) Forward Grip- The term `forward grip' means a grip located forward of the trigger that functions as a pistol grip.

`(42) Pistol Grip- The term `pistol grip' means a grip, a thumbhole stock, or any other characteristic that can function as a grip.

`(43) Threaded Barrel- The term `threaded barrel' means a feature or characteristic that is designed in such a manner to allow for the attachment of a firearm as defined in section 5845(a) of the National Firearms Act (26 U.S.C. 5845(a)).'.

SEC. 4. GRANDFATHER PROVISION.

Section 922(v)(2) of title 18, United States Code, as added by section 2(a) of this Act, is amended--

(1) by inserting `(A)' after `(2)'; and

(2) by adding after and below the end the following:

`(B) Paragraph (1) shall not apply to any firearm the possession or transfer of which would (but for this subparagraph) be unlawful by reason of this subsection, and which is otherwise lawfully possessed on the date of the enactment of this subparagraph.'.

SEC. 5. REPEAL OF CERTAIN EXEMPTIONS.

Section 922(v)(3) of title 18, United States Code, as added by section 2(a) of this Act, is amended by striking `(3)' and all that follows through the 1st sentence and inserting the following:

`(3) Paragraph (1) shall not apply to any firearm that--

`(A) is manually operated by bolt, pump, level, or slide action;

`(B) has been rendered permanently inoperable; or

`(C) is an antique firearm.'.

SEC. 6. REQUIRING BACKGROUND CHECKS FOR THE TRANSFER OF LAWFULLY POSSESSED SEMIAUTOMATIC ASSAULT WEAPONS.

Section 922(v) of title 18, United States Code, as added by section 2(a) of this Act, is amended by adding at the end the following:

`(5) It shall be unlawful for any person to transfer a semiautomatic assault weapon to which paragraph (1) does not apply, except through--

`(A) a licensed dealer, and for purposes of subsection (t) in the case of such a transfer, the weapon shall be considered to be transferred from the business inventory of the licensed dealer and the dealer shall be considered to be the transferor; or

`(B) a State or local law enforcement agency if the transfer is made in accordance with the procedures provided for in subsection (t) of this section and section 923(g).

`(6) The Attorney General shall establish and maintain, in a timely manner, a record of the make, model, and date of manufacture of any semiautomatic assault weapon which the Attorney General is made aware has been used in relation to a crime under Federal or State law, and the nature and circumstances of the crime involved, including the outcome of relevant criminal investigations and proceedings. The Attorney General shall annually submit the record to the Congress and make the record available to the general public.'.

SEC. 7. STRENGTHENING THE BAN ON THE POSSESSION OR TRANSFER OF A LARGE CAPACITY AMMUNITION FEEDING DEVICE.

(a) Ban on Transfer of Semiautomatic Assault Weapon With Large Capacity Ammunition Feeding Device-

(1) IN GENERAL- Section 922 of title 18, United States Code, is amended by inserting after subsection (y) the following:

`(z) It shall be unlawful for any person to transfer any assault weapon with a large capacity ammunition feeding device.'.

(2) PENALTIES- Section 924(a) of such title is amended by adding at the end the following:

`(8) Whoever knowingly violates section 922(z) shall be fined under this title, imprisoned not more than 10 years, or both.'.

(b) Certification Requirement-

(1) IN GENERAL- Section 922(w) of such title, as added by section 2(a) of this Act, is amended--

(A) in paragraph (3)--

(i) by adding `or' at the end of subparagraph (B); and

(ii) by striking subparagraph (C) and redesignating subparagraph (D) as subparagraph (C); and

(B) by striking paragraph (4) and inserting the following:

`(4) It shall be unlawful for a licensed manufacturer, licensed importer, or licensed dealer who transfers a large capacity ammunition feeding device that was manufactured on or before the date of the enactment of this subsection, to fail to certify to the Attorney General before the end of the 60-day period that begins with the date of the transfer, in accordance with regulations prescribed by the Attorney General, that the device was manufactured on or before the date of the enactment of this subsection.'.

(2) PENALTIES- Section 924(a) of such title, as amended by subsection (a)(2) of this section, is amended by adding at the end the following:

`(9) Whoever knowingly violates section 922(w)(4) shall be fined under this title, imprisoned not more than 5 years, or both.'.

SEC. 8. UNLAWFUL WEAPONS TRANSFERS TO JUVENILES.

Section 922(x) of title 18, United States Code, is amended--

(1) in paragraph (1)--

(A) in subparagraph (B), by striking the period and inserting a semicolon; and

(B) by adding at the end the following:

`(C) a semiautomatic assault weapon; or

`(D) a large capacity ammunition feeding device.'; and

(2) in paragraph (2)--

(A) in subparagraph (B), by striking the period and inserting a semicolon; and

(B) by adding at the end the following:

`(C) a semiautomatic assault weapon; or

`(D) a large capacity ammunition feeding device.'.

SEC. 9. BAN ON IMPORTATION OF LARGE CAPACITY AMMUNITION FEEDING DEVICE.

(a) In General- Section 922(w) of title 18, United States Code, as added by section 2(a) of this Act, is amended--

(1) in paragraph (1), by striking `(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2)' and inserting `(1)(A) Except as provided in subparagraph (B)';

(2) in paragraph (2), by striking `(2) Paragraph (1)' and inserting `(B) Subparagraph (A)'; and

(3) by inserting before paragraph (3) the following:

`(2) It shall be unlawful for any person to import or bring into the United States a large capacity ammunition feeding device.'.

(b) Conforming Amendment- Section 921(a)(31)(A) of such title, as added by section 2(a) of this Act, is amended by striking `manufactured after the date of enactment of the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994'.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 3:22:47 AM EDT
[#1]
I wrote mine yesterday. I started out by thanking him for somthing he had done right.  Then lead in with the request he help kill 1022 if it comes to the house floor.  Boren(D) is my rep, suposedly a pro gun Dem, GOA gives him an A-.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 8:39:29 AM EDT
[#2]
The gov is becoming less and less relevant everyday.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 3:29:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I just e-mailed my Senators and Congressman. Told them I was against the gun ban and I would vote against them if they voted for it !!!
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 3:45:57 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The gov is becoming less and less relevant everyday.

+1

As time goes on I think the federal goverment has strayed so far from common sense and the Constitution, that we could pretty much use a do over.

Sad to say, but I have little faith in or concern for the federal goverment anymore. They abuse the system too much, have too much power compared to state rights and the people, and corruption and totalitarianism seem to rule the day.

Link Posted: 2/23/2007 3:51:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Go to the Judiciary committee site and comment against HR1022. This needs to be stopped in committee. Bush is on record as saying he will sign it so stop it now. The bill will permanently outlaw AR's hi cap mags and several other firearms this time.

judiciary.house.gov/Contact.aspx

Link Posted: 2/23/2007 4:01:41 PM EDT
[#6]
hello and welcome to last week

this is the 24th (no i didn't check) thread we have on this topic. please check to see if your topic is a dupe

we will get alot more done if we stick to one thread
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 4:27:42 PM EDT
[#7]
What thread should we be using?  I've seen a few, is there an official one?

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 5:05:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Check to see if this is a dupe? You should be reporting that you emailed already instead busting this guys chops. I emailed for me, my wife, and each of my kids. Take advantage of your rights as a citizen and make a difference in this nation.
Do not stop at this email. Make sure you are a registered voter, vote, call your reps, email them, and mail them. We cannot afford this again!
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 6:25:55 PM EDT
[#9]
`(xix) Tavor;

- ouch,.... gonna get banned and not even over here yet lol
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 9:05:08 PM EDT
[#10]
I just sent this:

Hello,
I'm emailing you today to please ask you to through out the new bill HR 1022 IH the Assault Weapons Ban and Law Enforcement Protection Act of 2007. The last "assault Weapons Ban" back in 1994 did nothing to curb crime what so ever. This is a well known fact. This bill if signed into law will only harm law abiding Americans rights. Thank you for your time.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 7:45:55 AM EDT
[#11]
skag......check spelling   you mean  throw out the new bill?  not through out
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 11:04:40 PM EDT
[#12]
im not worried,........im putting all my attention to hiliry clinton having a chance to become president in '08.  Everyone here, and me, knows it wont happen, but there are more idiotic, stupid people out there in America, which outnumber all the people on this board, that would vote for her.  So if it happens,,....god save us all.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 11:36:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Not worried??? Are you nuts?

Hilary antigun, Obama antigun, Rudy guiliani antigun, McCain antigun. See a candidate who has a change at being president who is pro-gun???

You should be scared.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 11:47:24 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
skag......check spelling   you mean  throw out the new bill?  not through out

Whoops!
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 11:52:51 PM EDT
[#15]
I've read this probably 40 times this month.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 1:08:46 AM EDT
[#16]
you may read it 100 more times....the point is have you DONE something about it
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 1:16:48 AM EDT
[#17]
I wish you Guys luck, fight hard & dont let the US end up like the UK(not sure uk even warrants capitals anymore)
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 4:57:49 AM EDT
[#18]
VT Reps/Gov/Senators have been called! and will be called every day.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 6:36:15 AM EDT
[#19]
The following is the message I sent to my Congressman:

Mr Sestak, I am writing you today to urge you to oppose H.R. 1022 IH(Assault Weapons Ban & Law Enforcement Protection Act of 2007).  As you know the Assault Weapons ban of 1994 was allowed to expire in 2004 by congress.  There were many Federal, State, & Local law enforcement agency studies that show that guns affected by the 1994 ban were used in only a very small percentage of crimes before and after the ban was imposed.  These studies showed the 1994 ban was ineffectual & that the proposed 2007 ban will also be ineffectual.  Please contact me on your thoughts about the proposed ban.
Sincerely
Joe Scenna

Please feel free to use this letter as a basis to send your own letter to your Congressman. Don't think someone else will contact their Congressman and you can sit by. Everyone in the Firearms community MUST be involved or we will loose our rights to possess our Guns!!

Edit: go to www.house.gov/writerep/ to find out who the Congressman is in your district.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 7:15:37 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
hello and welcome to last week

this is the 24th (no i didn't check) thread we have on this topic. please check to see if your topic is a dupe

we will get alot more done if we stick to one thread

But we still need to appreciate all the excitement, and participation on this matter....The more the merrier
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 10:20:56 AM EDT
[#21]
It's Ok that guy doesnt vote more than likely. He would enjoy the ban so he could sell his 30 rounders for $50 and make a profit for his hunting rifle. You know since thats the only legal gun that will be left!
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 10:37:46 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
It's Ok that guy doesnt vote more than likely. He would enjoy the ban so he could sell his 30 rounders for $50 and make a profit for his hunting rifle. You know since thats the only legal gun that will be left!

Now you know it's not a hunting rifle.  It's a Evil sniper rifle.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 11:10:40 AM EDT
[#23]
sent an e-mail to my congressman regarding the proposed ban.
It doesn't matter how many times this topic comes up.
I hope it comes up a thousand times.  Hopefully, It will burn into people's head to do something about it.  Write to your congressman.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 11:15:59 AM EDT
[#24]
All gubmint is bad gubmint folks.
An election is simply an advance auction on stolen property.
Services are simply an excuse to tax people.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 11:18:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Barrel shroud????? WTF!!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 4:19:29 PM EDT
[#26]
SEND AN ACTUAL LETTER, PEOPLE.  Emails go right into a black hole.  Copy and paste this one, if you need, slap on a stamp and MAIL IT!

-----------------

Dear Representative X,

The purpose of this letter is to strongly urge you to oppose the passage of H.R. 1022, the “Assault Weapons Ban and Law Enforcement Protection Act of 2007,” which is currently referred to the Committee on the Judiciary.

This law criminalizes the purchase and ownership of certain firearms based solely on cosmetic and ergonomic features and is a serious infringement of the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding Americans.  A similar law, passed in 1994 by lawmakers who wanted to appear tough on crime, yielded no reduction in violent crime.  Moreover, no increase in firearms-related crime was measured after that law expired in September 2004.  Studies by Federal, State and Local law enforcement agencies have indicated that the types of firearms targeted by H.R. 1022 comprise only a tiny fraction of guns used by criminals.

H.R. 1022 will only affect law-abiding citizens.  Violent criminals, of course, will make no effort to comply with regulations regarding ammunition magazines, pistol grips and barrel shrouds.  In our free society, how can attaching a folding stock to a legally owned rifle be a crime worthy of prison?

Because there is no evidence that banning firearms reduces violent crime, I respectfully urge you to oppose H.R. 1022, a serious infringement of the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding Americans.

I would appreciate a reply from you to learn your position on this very important issue.  Thank you very much for your time and service.

Sincerely,
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 4:34:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Everybody is jumping the gun on this thing. When you hear Nancy Pelosi mention guns, then you can be worried. Until then, this is just one crazy liberal legislator's wet dream . . .
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 4:45:27 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
...this is just one crazy liberal legislator's wet dream . . .

Maybe, maybe not.  But I'd like to hear those sentiments echoed by my Congresswoman.  I see no harm in our Representatives knowing how closely we're watching this issue.  I'd rather not wait until Pelosi brings it up.

"...I don't know about this, Nancy.  We got a lot of flak over McCarthy's version earlier this year.  Maybe we better not press the issue right now.  Let's try pushing the "Left-Handed-Asian-American airline passenger's 'bill of rights' of 2007" for a while..."

Anyone want that Magpul rifle?  Maybe a letter isn't so bad right now.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 4:51:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Everytime you see this dupe send a letter to someone in congress!
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 5:05:29 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Not worried??? Are you nuts?

Hilary antigun, Obama antigun, Rudy guiliani antigun, McCain antigun. See a candidate who has a change at being president who is pro-gun???

You should be scared.

lol i didnt mean not being worried for the future of all bans, i was refering to this current one, re read my post.  And if they come out wit a new one, oooooooo itll just make the ones i have now worth more, and I honestly , no , I 'really' wouldnt mind if they actually  decided to do a national ban and try to take them away from its citizens, as it would give my life a whole new meaning and allow me to use all of the cases of ammo i have stocked up in my closet, so i guess in an essence im not worried, and 'our' gov't wouldnt rish something of that magnitude.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 8:21:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Guns are bad and should be outlawed! We don't need 'em. The UN will protect us...

Didn't ya'll read that blue is a calming color. Those blue helments make me feel all warm inside.

Letter sent and ammo, mags, and spares stocked. I ain't selling my store; If I don't use it, my grandson's will!

I wonder what George would do? The original George W... Washington, that is.

Life, liberty, and the pursuit of liberals (no bag limit)!

buckmeister
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 10:13:32 AM EDT
[#32]
"I wonder what George would do? The original George W... Washington, that is."

- haha good point. Although nowadays,... average citizens creating a militia to protect the rights of all other citizens would be frowned upon,....funny huh?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top