Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2007 5:18:47 PM EDT
Let me start by saying I've never competed in any shooting events, and I know nothing of the topic I'm about to present. That's why I'm posting it, so keep the flaming to a minimum and go easy on me

I'm wondering about the stop-watches they use in shooting competitions, such as IPSC. First, do they have an official name?
How does the judge minimize his/her delay (caused by reaction time) of stopping the chronograph after the shooter completes his run?
I'd like to start having my range buddy time me on some drills, and vice versa, so I'm seeing if this would be a more desirable option than a stopwatch. They use them in competitions, so perhaps they have an advantage besides a distinct beep/buzz to signify go?

Enlighten me as much as possible on these devices, if you would.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 6:03:49 PM EDT
[#1]
they are called shot timers (generic).....they are sound activated.  start at the first report and time til last.  run between about $100 and $200 in the brownells catelogue.

advntrjnky
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 8:05:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Correct - there is a Pact model (Mk IV ) that includes a chronograph (kinda big though). A new one this year is the size of a wrist watch.  Lots of reviews of shot timers in the forum section here: www.brianenos.com
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 8:24:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Shot timer.

It's like a stopwatch with a buzzer and mic element.

The range officer says "shooter ready.....standbye....." and hits the start button,  this makes a loud BEEP and starts the timer.

Every time the shot timer "hears" a BANG it logs the time.

when the shooter is finished, the time of that last BANG remains on the display.

Because the shot timer logs the time when it's mic element detects the bang,  there is no human error that would occur with a stopwatch.

shot timers have other features too, but this is how they are usually used.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 8:44:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Watch on this video clip,  When rob Leatham is finished shooting, the range officer holds the timer back so the score keeper can see and record the time on the scoresheet.

www.doublealpha.biz/shop/images/ss_limited_3_robbie.wmv

the Range Officer only had to press the START button,  after that, the timer does everything else.

The display will show the exact time of the last shot it heard.
a shot timer can be set up for practice too,  I select a "delay start" on mine, clip it on my belt,  hit the start (delay),  and wait to hear the BEEP.

After I'm done shooting, I can look down and see my time.

That with some steel plates makes great practice.

Thay can also show other data, like the time of the first shot, split times etc. too.

www.competitionelectronics.com/pages/Pocket_Pro.html

www.cedhk.com/show.php/Object700
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 11:17:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Heres the one I use when I'm out running drills,practicing,etc. it's simple and the screen can be read easily (I just look down and see my time)

if your serious about your trigger time ,having a shot timer is a good tool to see if your getting better or staying the same.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top