Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2006 7:20:43 PM EDT
I picked up an XD in 45ACP today, since this caliber just came out I figured you guys might want to know whats up.  My dealer had both the "Tactical" 5" bbl and Service 4" bbl, I bought the 4" gun because I have plenty of normal 1911's for 5" guns.  This is basically the same size as my HK USP compact and it has 5 more shots.  

I went thru 250 rounds of ball, match ball and Winchester SXT'x with no malfunctions of any kind.  185gr wadcutter would not feed but that is not unusual.  It was point of aim at 7yds, 10 yds and 50 feet, this was an indoor range.  For the most part it grouped with all shots touching if you took the time to aim, at 10 yds it would put all shots in one ragged hole.

The trigger was fine, slightly heavy with very little over travel.  The little safety bar kinda smacked against your finger and pinched a bit during slow fire.  3 dot sights worked great, 13 round mags feed perfectly.  

The only real bitch.  Mags tended to snag on the from of the mag well when I was in a hurry, they have a flat face that catches on the mag well when the follower is depressed. It takes a little effort doing that.  The slide release was stiff as crap and tough on thumbs, it should work in with a little effort.

I am keeping it.  Great shooting gun and it comes with a holster, dual mag pouch and a silly looking mag loader for people with girly fingers.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:48:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Congrats on your purchase, just got the XD9, haven't been to the range yet but will shortly...
good luck and post pics
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:13:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like a great pistol. Looks cool too.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:55:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been considering the same handgun myself, though I'd like to see it offered in a sub-compact.

I currently own an HK 45 Tactical, but it's just too darned big for concealed carry. I was looking at the XD-40 Sub-Compact when news of the XD-45's pending release was announced. I'll probably hold off just a little while longer to see if it'll be offered with the 3" barrel.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:25:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm waiting patiently for a green one. Glad to hear that you had a good first day with it.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:51:55 AM EDT
[#5]
They are making a 3" bbl sub-compact too.  I found it entertaining that the 4" standard was within a 1/4" in most measurements to my HK USP compact and it holds 5 more rounds.  I took it out again and ran another 200 thru it and it was flawless.  According to some of the paperwork it was in Croatia less than a month ago, pretty amazing how quickly it made it here.

I have a ninja green Para LDA so I had to pass on the "Tactical" 5 inch XD.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top