Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/5/2006 8:49:16 AM EDT
Has anyone heard about this or have comments on this.  How does it compare to a AR-15.  What is the fire system.  I hear it is a piston gas operated system?  
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 9:59:23 AM EDT
[#1]
there are a bunch of threads on this already - look for SHOT SHOW reports too.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 4:49:39 PM EDT
[#2]
New gun is 556, modified 550 series gun, which a refined AK47 piston design, adjustable gas system,easy change barrel, removeable flat top or raised receiver rail.
Thread by smglee:
SMGLEE Shot Show thread
sigforum.com has some threads on it too. Prices will be in the $1300 to $1800 range.  Here is one planned for $1800, pic by smglee:
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:41:55 AM EDT
[#3]
I was really REALLY hyped about the 556, thinking it would be a 550, but now the more I look at it the more it looks to me like a high-tech TURD.  Let's see what SIG does with it.  I'll probably wind up getting one anyway.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:57:19 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I was really REALLY hyped about the 556, thinking it would be a 550, but now the more I look at it the more it looks to me like a high-tech TURD.  Let's see what SIG does with it.  I'll probably wind up getting one anyway.

You can get a 550, it costs about $8000.  If Sigarms makes a 550 clone it will be about $2500 to $3000, which is the current price in you are LE and want to get one.  That is why the 556 looks like it does. This is what you get for $1300 to $1800. This is a reasonable gun for the money. I would not get a 550 for $2500.  That's just me, maybe a lot of people would, but I doubt it.  It is just an economic fact that not many people want to spend much more than $1000 on a rifle, let alone more than $2000.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:00:33 AM EDT
[#5]
The only problem I have with it, is it looks like a Tapco abomination of a nice rifle.  They'd be wise to release a budget model of the baseline rifle with a fixed stock and non-railed forearm and irons.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:49:30 AM EDT
[#6]
The 550s advantages over the AR--gas piston at the detriment of accuracy, and the folding stock. The 556 looks like a real stinker if I ever saw one. The AR still has better ergonomics and a host of other advantages.

Gas pistons might be handy, but they aren't a panacea.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:10:11 PM EDT
[#7]
A box stock 550 or canadian export version PE-90 is much more accurate out of the box than a stock AR could claim- piston or not.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:30:24 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
A box stock 550 or canadian export version PE-90 is much more accurate out of the box than a stock AR could claim- piston or not.

They do come with free floated barrels and--by all accounts--very good triggers. But my understanding is that they at 1.25-1.5" guns with good ammo.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:37:53 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I have yet to see a 550 at Camp Perry.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:30:45 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The 550s advantages over the AR--gas piston at the detriment of accuracy

Theoretically, I suppose that's a logical conclusion, but it's not the way it works. The Sig is wonderfully accurate. Alot of accuracy is barrel harmonics, execution of design, barrel quality and fit of receiver/action. That's why the 550 is accurate, it's built to be, piston or not.

Quoted:
I have yet to see a 550 at Camp Perry.

Do I really need to explain why a non-US service rifle, a rare one at that, isn't on the line at Camp Perry?

I have been to Switzerland, and watched their high-power matches. Oddly, I saw no AR-15's there.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:31:47 AM EDT
[#11]
The SG 55X series more accurate than the AR15? I have to disagree.

Maybe I'm picky, but if an AR doesn't shoot MOA or better I consider it a lesser example. It also seems pretty common for factory varmint AR's to shoot .5 MOA these days.  

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:53:15 AM EDT
[#12]
I own and shoot both a PE-90 and a Heavy barrel Colt 20" for service rifle here in Canada.  With the AR free floated with a DCM type tube it is more accurate than my PE-90.  The PE-90 is good for about 1moa with handloads where as the free floated AR is good for about 0.5moa with handloads.  Before I free floated the AR they both shot about the same (btw... the sig550/pe-90 is not free floated).

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:35:03 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

All things equal, they're about the same - comparing an M16A2 to a 551. They'll both shoot MOA with a good bullet.

But, the big deal is that the 550 is a piston driven, AK derivative yet it will hang with an AR. That, as I said above, is testament to it's makers....not the design. And, I'm obviously talking about the Swiss Arms guns. Who the hell knows what SigUSA is going to give us. It might shoot like crap, who knows?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 1:54:25 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They do come with free floated barrels and--by all accounts--very good triggers. But my understanding is that they at 1.25-1.5" guns with good ammo.

Jack, actually the barrels are not free floated on the 55x series.  The gas tube is connected to the upper receiver and the gas block, and the handguards attach at the gas block and the upper receiver.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:34:50 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

All things equal, they're about the same - comparing an M16A2 to a 551. They'll both shoot MOA with a good bullet.

But, the big deal is that the 550 is a piston driven, AK derivative yet it will hang with an AR. That, as I said above, is testament to it's makers....not the design. And, I'm obviously talking about the Swiss Arms guns. Who the hell knows what SigUSA is going to give us. It might shoot like crap, who knows?

If their handguns are any indication, they will not be crap.  Have you ever had a Sigarms gun? I have had 2, the 226 (German)  and 229 (part US and part German) and they were beautifully made guns.
I give them a chance, when mine comes in I will see how good it is.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:07:02 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If their handguns are any indication, they will not be crap.  Have you ever had a Sigarms gun? I have had 2, the 226 (German)  and 229 (part US and part German) and they were beautifully made guns.

I have many Sig pistols, they are wonderful. It SHOULD be the equal to the Swiss gun, but sometimes a good company makes a crappy product. Sig DID make the Mosquito, and look at Armalite's 180B. Both not very indicative of their prowess.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:26:14 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Jack, actually the barrels are not free floated on the 55x series.  The gas tube is connected to the upper receiver and the gas block, and the handguards attach at the gas block and the upper receiver.

Ah, I was confusing them with HK, which claims to be free floated.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:02:05 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have many Sig pistols, they are wonderful. It SHOULD be the equal to the Swiss gun, but sometimes a good company makes a crappy product. Sig DID make the Mosquito, and look at Armalite's 180B. Both not very indicative of their prowess.

What's wrong with a mosquito? Never shot one.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:21:02 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
The only problem I have with it, is it looks like a Tapco abomination of a nice rifle.  They'd be wise to release a budget model of the baseline rifle with a fixed stock and non-railed forearm and irons.

+1

If I buy one, it is going to have to have a different set of iron sights and furniture (if I wanted another AR, I would buy another AR). Plus, I want the option of putting a custom Douglass barrel on it.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:56:32 AM EDT
[#20]
With the new 556s out, maybe that will lower the price of the original 55Xs to some extent...
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:30:57 PM EDT
[#21]
I personally do like traditional designs, but would never pick it over fuctionality first. I think the new 556 and it's use of various M16/AR stocks and magazines is very smart. Adjustable LOP and more choices is nothing I frown at. All the customization that goes with it and common magazines that make it a less of a hassle for many agencies and people to switch to and use some of their existing parts supplies is great. I'd buy one in a second if they made a 7.62x51mm version as I have no use for the lesser 5.56 in my tastes and needs, but they would need to have the top rail unelevated and a quality rear sight assembly to be folded down flush and aligned perfectly with the front when you want to use it like the one in the picture above. I see no advantage of no rear sight assembly and having your optics higher than needed like the pictures I've seen of their raised rail version. Slap an Aimpoint M3 on a Larue LT150 and the 3xMag with it's twist mount and call it a day. If they wanted to make it work with common magazine than M14 mags would be my choice. Then they could also manufactuer a newer modern polymer follower version that could work with both rifle systems.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:30:45 PM EDT
[#22]
it is supposed to change for production
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:15:38 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Cool! I hope they change it so it looks a LOT like this.........

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:20:55 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Source?  Or are you assuming this to be true?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:31:27 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
With the new 556s out, maybe that will lower the price of the original 55Xs to some extent...

Doubtful.  And if it does drop the price, my best guess is that it will drop from $8k down to around $5k...still too much for a semi.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:09:49 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
You can get a 550, it costs about $8000.  If Sigarms makes a 550 clone it will be about $2500 to $3000, which is the current price in you are LE and want to get one.  That is why the 556 looks like it does. This is what you get for $1300 to $1800. This is a reasonable gun for the money. I would not get a 550 for $2500.  That's just me, maybe a lot of people would, but I doubt it.  It is just an economic fact that not many people want to spend much more than $1000 on a rifle, let alone more than $2000.

MSRP is listed on the SIG website as $1300
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:08:25 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Unless the final release of the 556 is a LOT like the others in the 55X series, it wont lower prices at all. Those will always remain a breed of their own and highly sought after rifles.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top