Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/14/2006 2:24:09 AM EDT
I'm visiting a friend, and want to take appropriate gifts for the kids.

Daughter (8 yr old) gets a stuffed monkey.

She loves monkies.

A lot.

Some little girls like unicorns, or dolphins... not this one.

Anyway...

His son (15 yr old) just got his hunting license this season, and hasn't seen deer #1.

I was thinking of picking up a bottle of deer pee and hooking him up with an old MOPP suit, but guns & ammo's more my style.

Any suggestions on good rounds?

I always tell everyone to get me ammo for my birthday, and no one ever listens, so I try to get others what I would like to make it socially acceptable, even gave rounds to a friend as a wedding present once...

...'course I got the kid Larry the Cable Guy tickets for his birthday (and I think he's adopted me)... but we're talking hunting.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 2:40:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Many a deer has been kilt w/ the standard 150grn soft nosed 30/30 round, why mess w/ success.

Mike
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:04:01 AM EDT
[#2]
The new LEVERevolution ammo from Hornandy is the .30-30 ammo. I ran a couple of boxes through my Marlin about 2 weeks ago. It turns the .30-30 into a true 300 yard gun. My 336 shoots it extremely well and it doesn't cost anymore than other premium hunting loads.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:45:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Ask what kind of ammo the gun is sighted in for, if it is sighted in.  No need to change if it shoots well.  
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:54:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Hey matthewdanger-

What size groups do you get with this stuff, in inches @ 100yds?

I've tried it in my model 94 Winchester & the best I get is 6" or so. Not very useful at that accuracy level.

I'm using XS peep sights, 20" barrel, & I can usually get 2-1/2" or better with Remington & Federal factory stuff.

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:17:31 AM EDT
[#5]
I was getting around 2.5 - 3" with open sights off my backpack. I hate the stock Marlin buckhorn sights. I need to get a peep sight.

A friend of mine who hunts with a 336 with a fixed 4 power gets his groups down to around 1" average... some smaller some larger. He sights in about 2" high at 100yds and is dead on at 200yds.

According to the specs the energy is ramped way up too. I am stoked about this stuff.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:00:27 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The new LEVERevolution ammo from Hornandy is the .30-30 ammo. I ran a couple of boxes through my Marlin about 2 weeks ago. It turns the .30-30 into a true 300 yard gun. My 336 shoots it extremely well and it doesn't cost anymore than other premium hunting loads.

Pointed loads in a tube fed ?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:09:50 AM EDT
[#7]
I thought it was crazy too, but it works. The points are softer than normal. I had no problems through 80 rounds.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:10:45 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Pointed loads in a tube fed ?

Soft, squishy-rubber-won't hurt the primer in front of it pointed loads, yes.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:40:29 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

+1 for Levrrevolution.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:06:57 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't know if they still make em but my choice is the Remington Corelokt 170gr. Hollow Point.  I like them cause the point can't deform in the magazine like a soft point.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:19:18 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I have difficulty imagining taking a 300 yard shot at a deer.  You guys in sniper school or something?  In the past 100 years of so PLENTY of deer have been taken with both 150 gain and 170 grain softpoints.   This isn't rocket science inspite what some may want to wish for.

Tell the boy NOT to taking any 300 or even 200 yard shots at the dear.  Unless he's a Marine Siper he most likely going to miss it and spook it away.  Or worse, he'll wound it and then possibly not beable to track it down.  

Be a good coach, teach the kid to take clean shots, get his dear.  Leave the sniping to the Marines.  Any 30-30 soft point round is just fine.   Wonderful time for bonding with kids, the deer is just the excuse to take that precious time.

Enjoy.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 2:53:09 AM EDT
[#12]
I did not mean to give the impression that I am taking 300 hundred yard shots at deer. I have never taken a shot longer than about 65 yards in 12 years of hunting.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:06:54 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I did not mean to give the impression that I am taking 300 hundred yard shots at deer. I have never taken a shot longer than about 65 yards in 12 years of hunting.

I hear you but 300 yards could be done if you knew where Point of aim is,and alvin york showed you the ammount of hold over!

The 30/30 was born of the 38-55 necked down,I'll bet there have been many 300  yard shots made with the 30/30!  Just not by anything other than necessity!

No hunter would try that shot! unless he was trying to survive and put meat on the table!

The 30/30 is more of a 100-200 yard rifle shot!  Although it has more than enough power to take game even farther!

I would think along the lines of say a .308  for a 300 yard shot!

Bob
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:58:18 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hear you but 300 yards could be done if you knew where Point of aim is,and alvin york showed you the ammount of hold over!

The 30/30 was born of the 38-55 necked down,I'll bet there have been many 300  yard shots made with the 30/30!  Just not by anything other than necessity!

No hunter would try that shot! unless he was trying to survive and put meat on the table!

The 30/30 is more of a 100-200 yard rifle shot!  Although it has more than enough power to take game even farther!

I would think along the lines of say a .308  for a 300 yard shot!

Bob

You're right for the most part. Not to sound like a salesman, but that new Hornady stuff has changed some of the rules for lever action hunting.Some of the new Marlin XLR's are shooting near MOA at 100 yards with the stuff. Combine that accuracy with the increased performance, and 275 or 300 yard shots  on whitetail are doable and even ethical.

Course, a lot of that just means that instead of carrying a 200 yard rifle to go with his 75 yard skill level, now Bubba is packin' an extra 225 or so yards worth of rifle.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:49:40 AM EDT
[#15]
I use Winchester's 150 gr Silvertips and I cannot say enough good things about it. I've found it to be accurate but more importantly, every deer that I shot, dropped right in it's tracks. No running. hug.gif
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top