Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2006 6:53:29 AM EDT
Has anyone any sources for ballistics of 9x19 out of longer barrels, such as 16"?  Or, has someone with the equipment done any tests?

There is a lot of discussion about having a 9mm carbine/rifle to match a sidearm.  My question is if, because of standard powder formulations, there is sufficient acceleration beyond a 4" or 5" barrel to improve the performance and make a carbine useful.  It doesn't do a lot of good if the round only gets another 100 fps, for example.  Might as well stick with a long pistol.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:10:40 AM EDT
[#1]
You can ask that question in the pistolcal&rimfire forum. I don't think you'll have a great deal of increase in velocity maybe 100-150fps. There was a test done by a couple of guys who tested  9mm pistols and 3 9mm carbines. I don't have the link any longer. Maybe someone will come along with the link. Anyway my experience with 2 9mm carbines has been they are accurate. I use mine as range guns shot at indoor ranges.

I'm not into interchangeablility between handgun and rifle. If the SHTF I'm grabbing my 5.56AR or M1A.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:11:21 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Has anyone any sources for ballistics of 9x19 out of longer barrels, such as 16"?  Or, has someone with the equipment done any tests?

There is a lot of discussion about having a 9mm carbine/rifle to match a sidearm.  My question is if, because of standard powder formulations, there is sufficient acceleration beyond a 4" or 5" barrel to improve the performance and make a carbine useful.  It doesn't do a lot of good if the round only gets another 100 fps, for example.  Might as well stick with a long pistol.  

I have a Kel-Tec Sub2000 as a mate for my GLOCK 19. There is a pretty big boost in velocity from the 16" barrel. I had a link with lots of good info, but the site seems to be gone.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 1:40:55 PM EDT
[#3]
go to the keltec website and download the instruction manual for the sub2000, at the end of the pdf there's a couple pages about 9mm ballistics out of a 16" barrel.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 4:08:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info. and advice:  it's helpful.  And, especially fossil.  The Kel Tec information was exactly what I needed.  I'm slapping myself in the forehead for not thinking of it.  I had a Kel Tec pistol and was aware of the site, just didn't make the connection to the pistol caliber carbine.  Anyway, a useful chart in the book.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top