Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2006 7:58:56 AM EDT

I am thinking about the plinker model as my first ar. The price is around $600, Please tell me the pros and cons of olympic arms.

Tia
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:06:21 AM EDT
[#1]
It's an OK gun.

If you have to send it back to them for warranty work and they have a fire you may have a difficult time getting them to reimburse you for the rifle.<G>

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:
I am thinking about the plinker model as my first ar. The price is around $600, Please tell me the pros and cons of olympic arms.

Tia

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:15:27 AM EDT
[#2]
+1 they are ok

I don't have an Oly rifle or carabine but I had the opportunity to handle some a couple of years ago. I was not impressed with the quality/finish. maybe current rifles are better.

take a look at Rock River Arms' product also
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:22:35 AM EDT
[#3]
make sure it is the newest version of the plinker.  the original "plinker"  from about 5 years ago was all cast, the new ones are supposed to be all forged.  i remember seeing pics on this forum where the threaded/barrel portion of the upper(cast version) cracked off while firing.  IIRC is was not an uncommon thing.  now that being said i built an AR using an OLY Maxhard lower and liked it, and still working great.  Oly forged is fine.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:22:26 AM EDT
[#4]
I have three. Fit and finish of the uppers and lowers are generally not the cleanest considering what's available these days (Mega, etc.), but is more than suficient for a working-class firearm. Barrels are generally very good to *excellent. I'm inclined to believe that the Olympic barrels are generally better than anything else you will find in that price range. My (2) 16" Olympic barrels (HBAR w/ free float) shoot better than moa with good ammo and a 9x optic. Aside from the upper receiver, lower receiver, and barrel, ARs are pretty much small (semi) generic parts - easy to swap out as needed/desired.

Check www.carricozarmory.com/olympic.htm for the K16 (about the middle of the page), it seems to be in your price range and is a pretty good value. I've also seen them with an HBAR instead of the bull barrel - which may be more desirable for most.

Every experienced AR shooter that I personally know would prefer a flat-top receiver over an A1/A2 (I think the Oly Plinker is an A1; the K16 mentioned above is a flat-top) due to the greater options afforded by the flat-top. I would encourage one *not to think: "but it's got no sights AND it's MORE expensive!?", but rather: "yes, it is a little more money, but it has desirable features that I'll want after I've had an AR for a..." (week, month, year, depending on your use).

Good luck,

ac

ps - I don't have any experience with the dealer I linked to - just found the photo handy and included it for informational purposes. Please don't take the link as an endorsement.  I have no financial interest in Olympic - DPMS may have a comparable product at the same price point.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:51:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought 1 of the cast plinker models a few years ago used for $400.  Supposedly it's a horrible rifle and should be avoided at all costs but mine has not had any problems.  Good little rifle for the money.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top