Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2005 4:35:54 AM EDT
I have been thinking about ordering one of the AGS gunsmithing videos for my AR.  They have an Armorers course, and a Build From a Parts Kit course.  

I plan on building a rifle from a kit very soon - as soon as the upper comes in.  Would the build your own be a better course for me?  Or would the armorers course show me the same info and more?  

Or are the courses crappy rip offs and I should just save my money and not bother?

Anyone have any experience with these?  Thanks!

-K
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:51:12 AM EDT
[#1]
MAG162 and I just pieced together a lower using the Bushmaster DVD. It seems putting an AR15 together isn't that diffficult, the barrel seems to me to be the trickiest part.  Tricky might be the wrong word, it seems for the barrel you actually need some tools and blocks to properly assemble it.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 3:07:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks!  I didn't consider any other's besides the AGI.

Anyone else?

-K
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:15:13 PM EDT
[#3]
AGI's stuff is kinda hit and miss as far as a "complete" breakdown.  As fara s the AR goes, the Armorers video won't tell you much about all teh smaller parts that don't come off for a field strip.  Go with teh kit video, or just check out the "build it yourself" link here on arfcom.  step by step instructions.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 1:29:39 PM EDT
[#4]
the agi "build an ak from a kit" that i have is great. they show how to do everything. they even show how to bend a flat and pull the barrel without a press. for the ar15 there is enough info in the build it yourself section of this site. the ar is about the easiest rifle to build from a parts kit if you are starting with a factory lower reciever.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:49:47 PM EDT
[#5]
The one ar15 tape is a bit dated, (not that the basics of the ar have changed), but it was done a while ago, unless they've redone it.  I haven't seen it in a while, but I remember it as being poorly lighted in some of the segments.  Really they should have painted some of the springs, detents, and pins bright pink or something to contrast better with the lower, so you could see how the parts go together better.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:02:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I actually used the AGI video to build my lower.  I agree with the earlier post the date of the video is out of date since they talk about AWB and that you can't do this or that to your rifle.  Overall, I would have to give it a thumbs up as it is very interesting what is involved in building a rifle from scratch.  The only criticism that I have is that they seem to cover some of the important details rather quickly and should focus more time on them.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top