Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/13/2005 6:10:46 AM EDT
With some threads lately I have decided to finish my spreadsheet on the value of my firearms. What do I need to use for the value? Is it replacement cost, buying new, or what they would be worth as used. Do I even need this with good pics and serial numbers?

Also, does anyone have a stand alone policy to cover firearms. I will put an addition on my homeowners policy, but I don't know if that is best or not. I have not yet called my insurance man, but that is on my list of things to do.

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:22:17 PM EDT
[#1]
good topic......I have listed the prices in my spreadsheets that I would have to pay again to replace the weapon.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:45:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a rider on my homeowner's insurance for total replacement cost. Be sure to include things like optics, taclights etc in your calculations as well. The replacement cost of a "Colt AR-15" may only be $900 for example, but if it's equipped with an ACOG, taclight, forend, custom trigger etc that $900 rifle is more like $3000.

I'm at work now, but when I get home later tonight I can send you a link for a really slick freeware gun inventory program if you'd like. It allows you to archive serial numbers, pics, complete descriptions and equipment breakdowns etc.

My insurance agent wanted me to have a line item archive of every add-on to every weapon I own-right down to a $22 pistol grip and parts inventory. Fortunately he's a gun freak too-so he was able to help me a lot.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:01:37 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I have a rider on my homeowner's insurance for total replacement cost. Be sure to include things like optics, taclights etc in your calculations as well. The replacement cost of a "Colt AR-15" may only be $900 for example, but if it's equipped with an ACOG, taclight, forend, custom trigger etc that $900 rifle is more like $3000.

I'm at work now, but when I get home later tonight I can send you a link for a really slick freeware gun inventory program if you'd like. It allows you to archive serial numbers, pics, complete descriptions and equipment breakdowns etc.

My insurance agent wanted me to have a line item archive of every add-on to every weapon I own-right down to a $22 pistol grip and parts inventory. Fortunately he's a gun freak too-so he was able to help me a lot.

I'd appreciate that link as well if you don't mind.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:11:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Me too please :)

If it's not too much trouble.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:23:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah me three!!!!
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:27:24 PM EDT
[#6]
me 4
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:33:27 PM EDT
[#7]
No problem guys! When I get home tonight (around 12:30) I'll find the link and post it in this thread
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:37:31 PM EDT
[#8]
That would be a great help. I would like to see if it is better that a Excel spreadsheet I put together.

What is the best resource for current prices. Somewhere online, Shooters Bible or ...

I am really surprised how fast things add up. I am not very far into it and it is more that I thought they all would have been worth. This is a exercise EVERY gun owner should do!!
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:37:52 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
No problem guys! When I get home tonight (around 12:30) I'll find the link and post it in this thread

Cool! I was about to ask too

While we are on the topic of insurance, here is a provider who insures NFA items, machineguns, etc:

Kiser Commercial Insurance
Ed Keiser
8136 Fort Smallwood
Baltimore MD 21226
800-433-5473 / 410-255-8100

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:51:28 PM EDT
[#10]

viator
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:26:14 PM EDT
[#11]
I was my understanding that for insurance purposes it would be the original price minus deprecation. But every policy is different. This can be a sticky subject and one must read the fine print. You may have to provide the weapon’s receipt to your agent. Or they might have some sort of cost analysis. This weapon bought at this time is worth x amount.  I have also heard that if your accessories are always attached to the weapon they do not get replaced. Or something to that effect. It is my understanding you need to place weapons and accessories separately in your safe take pics of them stored that way on several occasions for proof. You need to list them separately as well on your insurance forms
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:55:03 PM EDT
[#12]
I couldn't find a link anywhere on the web (the original site is down) so I uploaded the WinZip file to my comcast webspace. Here it is: GSr205stand.zip Right-click and "Save Target As...".

Since this software obviously isn't mine to distribute I hope I'm not pissing off the developer by uploading it. It is freeware, and since I'm not distributing it for personal gain I hope that's sufficient to not violate the EULA.

I'm running it on Win2k and used to run it on 98se. I have no idea how well it works on other OSes.

ETA: This upload was done from my home PC. Being the anal retentive freak that I am I scanned it with Norton both before the upload and after I tested the link. It's clean
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:34:30 PM EDT
[#13]
once I download it how do I install the program?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:38:14 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
once I download it how do I install the program?

Double click on the downloaded winzip file and then extract the files to a folder (you'll need winzip). Open up the folder that the files were extracted to and then double click on the gunsafe program icon

ETA: Here are a couple of screen shots in case anyone is curious

I'm not sure how everyone else does it, but for the "current value" field I use total replacement cost of the weapon plus all add-ons.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:14:28 PM EDT
[#15]
I have $50,000 of blanket, unscheduled firearms insurance that covers ALL of my firearms, ALL of their accessories, ALL over the planet (whether in my house, at the range, and hunting in the USA or deepest, darkest Africa), and if the gun blows up while firing it.  It only costs me about $250/year.

The Rielly Insurance Company Historic Firearms & Collectibles Insurance Program

Whether you can get it unscheduled (ie, no itemized list sent to the insurance company) depends upon your state insurance regulations.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:25:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Ok i got the program to work.  This is cool.  Now i am going to have to stay up latw with my digital camera a document all of my guns.  I had them on a spredsheet before but this is better.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:27:19 PM EDT
[#17]
doesn't the nra offer some kind of discounted firearms insurance?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:30:27 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Ok i got the program to work.  This is cool.  Now i am going to have to stay up latw with my digital camera a document all of my guns.  I had them on a spredsheet before but this is better.

I was amazed at how much work it was to get everything photographed and archived.

It's well worth the effort though Once I was done I burned the program and data files to DVD. I keep one copy in my gun safe and another in my safe deposit box at the bank.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:57:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Tag, and thanx!
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 1:40:00 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I couldn't find a link anywhere on the web (the original site is down) so I uploaded the WinZip file to my comcast webspace. Here it is: GSr205stand.zip Right-click and "Save Target As...".

Since this software obviously isn't mine to distribute I hope I'm not pissing off the developer by uploading it. It is freeware, and since I'm not distributing it for personal gain I hope that's sufficient to not violate the EULA.

I'm running it on Win2k and used to run it on 98se. I have no idea how well it works on other OSes.

ETA: This upload was done from my home PC. Being the anal retentive freak that I am I scanned it with Norton both before the upload and after I tested the link. It's clean

Many Thanks!
Works just fine with Win XP Pro.
This is just what I needed for my collection.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 2:15:15 AM EDT
[#21]
GunSaver works great!

Who do you guys use for insurance?

I've got renter's through USAA. THEy only offer up to $5,000 for firearms. THey also offer floating policies on a per gun basis, but i''d rather not insure each one individually.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 3:53:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Great program...thanks for the info, download.....you rock, dude..."The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants":Thomas Jefferson
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 4:07:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Great topic. I was just talking to my insurance agent about renwal of my Homeowners. I had told her when we set up the policy I wanted the max for firearms($5000) without a personal articles policy. I guess she forgot to add it because it was not there. I was only carring $2500 of insurance on up to 2 firearms. Got that fixed and I asked about increasing the limit and found out I would have to do an itemized list - for some reason I don't feel comfortable with that. Seemsa lot  like registering them.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 4:09:53 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Got that fixed and I asked about increasing the limit and found out I would have to do an itemized list - for some reason I don't feel comfortable with that. Seemsa lot  like registering them.

Exactly my predicament.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 4:22:39 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Got that fixed and I asked about increasing the limit and found out I would have to do an itemized list - for some reason I don't feel comfortable with that. Seemsa lot  like registering them.

Exactly my predicament.

Did any of you read my post in big letters above about $50k unscheduled (that means, WITHOUT AN ITEMIZED LIST) firearms coverage for around $250 per year?

AFAIK, that is a lower rate ($1 for every $200 of coverage) than the NRA, USAA, State Farm, etc.  It also covers EVERYTHING (slings, scopes, mounts, magazines, you name it).  It ALSO covers the gun if it blows up while firing it!

I mean, I know I have a lost post count . . . but SHEESH!
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 4:39:36 AM EDT
[#26]

Did any of you read my post in big letters above about $50k unscheduled (that means, WITHOUT AN ITEMIZED LIST) firearms coverage for around $250 per year?

AFAIK, that is a lower rate ($1 for every $200 of coverage) than the NRA, USAA, State Farm, etc.  It also covers EVERYTHING (slings, scopes, mounts, magazines, you name it).  It ALSO covers the gun if it blows up while firing it!

I mean, I know I have a lost post count . . . but SHEESH!

I posted right after saving your link for future reference.  Just sharing my recient experience and I do appreciate your info. I could be wrong, but if i read it correctly, $50,000 is the lowest ammount of coverage you can have.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 4:40:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:00:53 AM EDT
[#28]
TAG
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:31:24 AM EDT
[#29]
Thanks for the link.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:41:35 AM EDT
[#30]
thanks for the program.
I posted in the general forum looking for something like this.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:53:12 AM EDT
[#31]
Someone deleted a link. THere was a link to www.collectinsure.com I was checking it out, and found the following in their FAQ:

Q. If I regularly shoot my guns or carry a gun for self protection can I insure these guns?

A. No. Our coverage is for guns mainly owned as collectibles.  If you occasionally shoot a gun for hunting or on a range we can insure it.  For instance, if you take a particular gun out a couple of times a year on a hunting trip and it is stolen from your vehicle while eating dinner after a hunting trip, we pay.

On the other hand, if while hunting you fire the gun and the gun is damaged while firing, this type of loss is excluded.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:27:50 AM EDT
[#32]
CJan_NH:  Thanks for the program. I have always just used a spreadsheet of my own creation, but I like the look/layout of this just from your screenshots and plan to try it out!

Quoted:
I have $50,000 of blanket, unscheduled firearms insurance that covers ALL of my firearms, ALL of their accessories, ALL over the planet (whether in my house, at the range, and hunting in the USA or deepest, darkest Africa), and if the gun blows up while firing it.  It only costs me about $250/year.

The Rielly Insurance Company Historic Firearms & Collectibles Insurance Program

Thanks for this lead.  I've looked into it before (endorsement on my home-owner's policy, NRA, collectinsure, etc.) and it's always been cost-prohibitive.  This may be affordable enough for me to do.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:56:54 AM EDT
[#33]
CJan, Thanks for the link! I just finished loading it.

Like Hardshell mentioned above, I have also been using a spreadsheet of my own design. Your link will help out tremendously. I appreciate it, brother.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:14:09 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
CJan, Thanks for the link! I just finished loading it.

+1 Thanks
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:15:40 AM EDT
[#35]
Tag for home.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:42:07 AM EDT
[#36]
tagged for home
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:40:48 PM EDT
[#37]
TAG-so I can download when I get home
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:32:52 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 7:12:13 AM EDT
[#39]
Wow, I'm currently going through this with my insurance agent as well.  I found out that I'm only covered for $2000 now.  He said they need the current value of each gun, not the replacement cost.  I'm giving the replacement cost plus the replacement cost of any add-ons.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:16:20 AM EDT
[#40]
I'm pretty psyched that you guys are finding this program useful. I just tried to contact the developer to thank him for his hard work, but he seems to have fallen off the face of the Earth

I'll keep trying

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:38:29 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I'm pretty psyched that you guys are finding this program useful. I just tried to contact the developer to thank him for his hard work, but he seems to have fallen off the face of the Earth

I'll keep trying

Useful indeed, my friend! I have spent a good chunk of the weekend adding my inventory to the program. You were right...quite a bit of research!

I even put a shortcut to it on my desktop. The wife saw it and just rolled her eyes.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 7:03:01 PM EDT
[#42]
taggage.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 7:12:24 PM EDT
[#43]
tag
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:51:56 PM EDT
[#44]
has anyone had any experience with the NRA's gun insurance?
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 4:32:26 PM EDT
[#45]
I'd like it too if you could spare it!!   thanks
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:00:10 PM EDT
[#46]
tag
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:09:45 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
tag

Could someone host the file again? its not coming up...

Also, Im not sure how the program works, but if you travel with guns, worried about computer problems, email pictures with the serial #s to yourself. They will be stored in 3rd place. So if something happens to your firearms while out of town, youc an print up pics and serial #s right away and hand them into authorities or insurance..

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:10:42 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
GunSaver works great!

Who do you guys use for insurance?

I've got renter's through USAA. THEy only offer up to $5,000 for firearms. THey also offer floating policies on a per gun basis, but i''d rather not insure each one individually.

Hey bud, I also go through USAA, I was told they offer 10,000 on EVERYTHING in the apartment? Which inludes the firearms?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 10:24:35 AM EDT
[#49]
Anyone still have this available for download?  The original link is broken.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:26:31 PM EDT
[#50]
t
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top