Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/18/2005 2:22:46 PM EDT
  I'm looking to put a scope on my M1A. I'd like to have a 30mm scope.  I've looked at the Super Sniper,  the Burris and an off-brand called Barska. The Barska seems to have everything one would look for in a 30mm scope. A 50mm objective, glass etched illumniated mil-dot reticle, and variable power, for under $300. But I've never heard of them. The Super Sniper looks great but doesn't have variable power or illuminated reticle. The Burris is real nice too but would be stretching my budget at almost $700. How important to anyone is a variable power scope? Or illuminated reticle? Do any of you out there have experience with Barska? Are they reputable? Any and all advice welcome. Thanks.  
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 4:54:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I've never heard of "Barska". Is it Russian?

I'd strongly suggest two things:

1) Stick with a "name" brand, i.e. Nikon, Burris, Leupold, etc.

2) Don't scope the M1A. Everyone I've seen do it has had problems with their mounts.

My .o2
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 6:59:03 PM EDT
[#2]
They look alot like Fuji rifle scopes.

www.barska.com/Swat.htm
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 2:30:06 AM EDT
[#3]
From what I've read, Barska optics are made in China. I think I've narrowed it down to either the Super Sniper or the Burris. I'm attracted to the Burris warranty, and variable power. I wish that the Super Sniper had variable power. It would make my decision easier. How important is variable power? In a fixed power scope, what can anyone reccomend, 10x. 16x, or 20x. Thanks again for any input.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:27:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 4:33:15 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
How important to anyone is a variable power scope?

I like them. I prefer the options they offer to me, IMO.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 5:32:38 AM EDT
[#6]
The old saying about looking too good to be true really applies to shooting optics.  As advised above, stick with a name brand.  Lower tier manufacturers prey upon folks that want all of the "tactical" bells and whistles but can't afford to get a Leupold, S&B, or US Optics scope.  Seems like a bargain, but you are paying 5-10x's what that scope is probably worth.  

You would be better served by either a fixed power Super Sniper in that price range, or save up a couple hundred more dollars and look at a Leupold Long Range model, a Burris, or a Nikon.  My personal experience has been limited to Leupold and Zeiss, but I have heard good things about the Burris and Nikon scopes.  Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 7:00:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 11:33:37 AM EDT
[#8]
  I'm pretty much just a casual shooter. I don't shoot in matches or competition. I usually shoot paper targets in the 100 to 300 meter ranges during daylight hours. I don't intend to be making any fast shots, just more well aimed deliberate shots.

I've been shooting at the 100 to 300 meter ranges with iron sights from the prone and sometimes standing supported. At 300 meters I've been keeping between four and six inch groups. Which, I think, is pretty good for me. I'm satisfied with just being able to hit a man sized target aiming center mass.  

I don't feel that at this point it would be wise for me to invest a lot of money in scope. But I don't want to buy a piece of junk either. I will be relatively new to shooting a scoped rifle, I do have some limited experience though. I'm leaning farther and farther toward the Super Sniper scope. Everything I've researched about it has been pretty positive.

So..if you've read this far, and knowing a little about my shooting experience, do you think I would be well served by a Super Sniper scope?  

Thanks for all of the advice so far. Sorry this post is so long, I tend to ramble.
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 1:20:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 6:26:12 AM EDT
[#10]
The Super Sniper scope has always got great reviews and is usually very well liked. I looked through one and it just didn't do anything for me. I'm not saying it was bad. I myself go with higher end Leupolds and Nightforce but that's me. As far as Barska goes ....all I can say is no no no. I doubt you'll need a illuminated reticle unless you do alot of low light shooting. I have yet to put the battery in and of my scopes with this feature, it's just not needed. Cheap scopes are now adding it as sales pitch. The way they add it to the scope mechanically it sucks and if you've ever turned one on it's like a red flashlight real cheap. For $700 you could buy a nice Leupold or Super sniper with money to spare. Yuo will regret buying the Barska. Variable power on a scope is left alone by a majority of shooters. Once you find a desired setting and zero the weapon there is little reason to change it. Decide what your intended target will require to see it clearly and buy a powered scope accordingly. 4.5-14 scopes fit that bill 90%+ of the time. You won't likely need a 24 or higher power scope, and if you do the cost goes up. you may find it cheaper to buy the hubble telescope and mount it on.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top