Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2005 1:26:02 PM EDT
What would you say? 200 rounds? What kind of ammo would you stock up on for your "scoped" bolt action rifle?

I have some good Core Lokt stuff and some PMP 30-06. Good hunting rounds, also some surplus korean ball ammo. What would you recommend?
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 3:28:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I would say that the sky is the limit on any SHTF ammo purchase.  As far as selection goes, it depends what your rifle "likes" to shoot and how much your willing to spend.
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 3:34:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, I am mostly stock up on 5.56 for my AR but I figure there is probably a minimum on what I should keep on hand as far as 30-06 goes. The surplus stuff actually shoots really well through my Rem 700 but not sure about it's effectiveness on game if it came down to that. Probably not a good idea unless it's do or die... But is it better to have 50 rounds of surplus ball or 20 rounds of JSP? Probably a good mix is what I want...
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 3:40:06 PM EDT
[#3]
All you can get, ammo will be the ideal currency in a SHTF reality sets in..........
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 4:42:11 PM EDT
[#4]
dont worry about shtf ammo, if it ever happens we'll all be vapor anyways
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 5:55:56 PM EDT
[#5]
you will never have enough ammo. for a bolt action i would aim for 5-10k round minimuim. for anything semi look for 20-50k. im still working on it myself
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 7:06:32 AM EDT
[#6]
A good mix of AP, FMJ and JHP or SP.
As far as quantity, it depends whether you intend to defend in place or be on the move.
Make sure you have backup optics. Also install the HP Precision detachable mag kit for the Rem 700, and get a few spare mags to ease rapid loading.
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 10:08:01 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
A good mix of AP, FMJ and JHP or SP.
As far as quantity, it depends whether you intend to defend in place or be on the move.
Make sure you have backup optics. Also install the HP Precision detachable mag kit for the Rem 700, and get a few spare mags to ease rapid loading.

How hard is it to install that? How much is it, where do you get it, and does it function with 100% reliability?
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 11:27:39 AM EDT
[#8]
I'd say 200 would be a minimum
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 2:03:24 PM EDT
[#9]
A good hand with a good, scoped, bolt .30-06 and a couple hundred rounds of high quality ammo is a very scarey dude indeed...shoot once from concealment and move...don't be where you were when they figure out where THAT was. You can most likely get almost anything else you need ...ARs, AKs, medicne, water, game, etc. with judicious use of that combination. More ammo would, of course, be better, but actually carrying it on the person might get a bit taxing...maybe some more for a stash or two somewhere not too far away?

Link Posted: 1/5/2005 2:33:04 PM EDT
[#10]
I have purchased Core Lokt for all of my hunting rifles. 200 rounds for each sounds like a good minimum, but don't be afraid to buy more.
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 3:17:22 PM EDT
[#11]

"8 to 10 turkeys worth..."
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 6:59:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Besides AP rounds, you will need API rounds also.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 2:16:41 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
you will never have enough ammo. for a bolt action i would aim for 5-10k round minimuim. for anything semi look for 20-50k. im still working on it myself

Dude, seek help.....

Realisticly, I'd say 500 rounds per bolt action rifle.  You have to think about logistics of carrying ammo too.  In a real SHTF scenario, you need to be mobile.  If you have semi auto rifles, then more is better.  You can easily carry 500 rounds in mags on yourself with an AR15.  An additional 1000 round can would be my backup that I'd stash on the run and come back to it.  For a bolt gun, how much can you carry and actually shoot?  
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 9:02:05 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dude, seek help.....

Realisticly, I'd say 500 rounds per bolt action rifle.  You have to think about logistics of carrying ammo too.  In a real SHTF scenario, you need to be mobile.  If you have semi auto rifles, then more is better.  You can easily carry 500 rounds in mags on yourself with an AR15.  An additional 1000 round can would be my backup that I'd stash on the run and come back to it.  For a bolt gun, how much can you carry and actually shoot?  

Thats a good idea if you are going to leaving the area, BUT if  you are staying local, then have as much ammo as you can get your hands on.
If you have to leave your area, then you can take what you can carry and go, and stash the rest for when you return.
As I stated above, you can also trade the ammo for other items, such as Gasoline, more food, clothes etc. Thats why it is a good idea to have as much "common" ammo as you can get your hands on.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 11:14:33 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dude, seek help.....

Thats a good idea if you are going to leaving the area, BUT if  you are staying local, then have as much ammo as you can get your hands on.
If you have to leave your area, then you can take what you can carry and go, and stash the rest for when you return.
As I stated above, you can also trade the ammo for other items, such as Gasoline, more food, clothes etc. Thats why it is a good idea to have as much "common" ammo as you can get your hands on.

Yeah, good idea. Anything that we consider commonplace and standard could be worth a lot in a situation like that. Even having things like coffee or cigarettes (I don't smoke), would be good trading stuff.

500 rounds of 30-06 would be painful to lug around...
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 12:21:00 AM EDT
[#16]
an INFINITE amount.. do you reload??  find cheap brass.. go to ranges, pick brass from ground, find fellow factory load shooters that dont reload and get their brass, never ever stop until you run out of room..

im not joking either
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 1:33:31 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
an INFINITE amount.. do you reload??  find cheap brass.. go to ranges, pick brass from ground, find fellow factory load shooters that dont reload and get their brass, never ever stop until you run out of room..

im not joking either

Not a good idea to pick up brass at a range. You dont know the history behind it, how many times has it been reloaded, and what kind of loads were run through it. Unless it is your brass, I would leave it lay.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:16:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Ditto, I never pick up brass a the range unless I've seen it being used for the first time. Someone goes to wally world and brings out a few boxes of "whatever" to blast away for their yearly trip to the range.
I've picked up a lot of .308 Federal Gold Medal brass that way.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 9:33:04 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
What would you say? 200 rounds? What kind of ammo would you stock up on for your "scoped" bolt action rifle?

I have some good Core Lokt stuff and some PMP 30-06. Good hunting rounds, also some surplus korean ball ammo. What would you recommend?

How much can you carry on your back?
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 10:42:27 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

With just my 700, or with my 700 and my AR15 and 1000 rounds of 5.56?
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 11:04:40 AM EDT
[#21]
If I had a bolt '06 and the money. For SHTF, I'd go with at least 500 rounds of the ammo my rifle shoots the best with. I say 500 because it would probably be handloaded  match grade stuff. After that some store bought  match grade stuff, at least another 500. Then about 1000 rounds of good hunting ammunition. Then again I own a lever action 30-30 for deer.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:56:00 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

With just my 700, or with my 700 and my AR15 and 1000 rounds of 5.56?

With your 700 and your AR. WTSHTF you may find yourself walking. 5000rds isn't going to do you alot of good. Then again if you shoot 2 to 3 times a week, 5000rds is a good start.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 11:04:32 AM EDT
[#23]
I have a 700PSS in .308. I have around 250 special purpose HP rounds, 500 BTHP match rounds, and 100 rounds of FMJ.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top