Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2004 3:58:56 PM EDT
Does anyone make a new receiver for these kits?  How difficult are they to assemble?  
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:36:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Well the hardest part of making one is going to be finding a registered Suomi tube.  Sten tubes are probably the cheapest at almost $4k, but maybe you can get a variance from BATF to build a Sten-oumi, instead of a Stenling (ie. Sterling built on a registered Sten tube).

Now if you're talking about building a semi, you might as well forget buying the kit and just start from scratch - you're going to need a completely new and different fire control group that will fire from a closed bolt, a 16" barrel, etc.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:40:30 PM EDT
[#2]
So the $50 kits from Centerfire aren't really worth anything unless you have a registered receiver.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:41:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Nope.  Maybe good for a dummy gun, but mostly those kits are useless unless you have a registered Suomi and need spare parts.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:52:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I do recall seeing a few Semi-Sumo-ish guns for sale on Guns America.. I'm not sure if they were  PPSH-1s or what, two were 9mm and the other was a .22lr, they used drums. The .22lr was only $260, kinda pissed I passed it up.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:52:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Speaking of Suomi s, is there any other firearms that the drums fit?

I think I've read that the stick mags fit the S&W 76 SMG, and I've heard of the drum mags being converted to be used in other guns.  

I have a couple drums I bought a few years ago for $7/each, gotta figure a way to use them in something.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:02:49 AM EDT
[#6]
As far as I know, those drums will only work in a suomi, swede k, or port said, but I could be wrong.  I think they can be modified for use in other guns, if you don't mind having some work done to them (like welding on a feed tower).  I think theres a dedicated 9mm AR-type designed to work with drums like this, but I can't seem to find any info online.  I've seen them first-hand at shows though.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 10:55:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Their is a 9mm converison for  the FAL that uses Sumo drums.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 2:41:14 PM EDT
[#8]
There are a couple different manufacturers making the FAL use 9mm out of Suomi drums and there's also a manufacturer making an AR (cut receiver) so it can use an unaltered Suomi drum in 9mm.  The PPsh looking gun in 9mm was put out by InterOrdnance as the SA-41 and the PPsh type gun in .22lr with a drum is PPS-50 which uses a 50 round drum.  For that money I would've bought the .22 as well!
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 3:42:44 PM EDT
[#9]
There's an AR that uses them.
Tommy15
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:34:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Isn't there someone who is converting these drums by welding a conventional mag to the top so they can be used in Macs and Uzis and stuff?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top