Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/22/2003 12:59:32 PM EDT
Can anyone please tell me the weight in grains of the standard military propellant loadings for:

the 5.56x45 M855 and Mk 262,

the 5.45x39,

the 7.62x39,

and the new 6.8x43 RPC?

Thanks for any help.

Tony Williams: Military gun and ammunition website and Discussion forum
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 5:06:48 PM EDT
[#1]
My thinking is -
Different suppliers make ammo for contracts based on military specs. So they may use different  kinds----- of the same type of  components -- so there is no clear cut answer for your question.

ie: powders with different chemical properties.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 10:59:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, I understand that, thanks. What I'm after is a typical loading to help in working out the recoil.

Tony Williams: Military gun and ammunition website and discussion
forum

Link Posted: 12/24/2003 4:54:05 AM EDT
[#3]

As for loadings, either the U.S. M193 55 grain or the current NATO 62 grain, steel core will do (U.S. SS109). Preference goes to the 62 grain NATO round if it can be found. However, the 55-grain loadings are cheaper and more readily available. There are a number of other weights available, but do not offer any advantages for our general-purpose use.

The above from the AR15.com home page

sample -  .223 caliber
55 grn bullet
IMR powder  3031   -  23.5 grains
= muzzle velocity of 3040 feet per second.

As I am almost sure that isd not what you want go here and look around they may have it
www.biggerhammer.net/manuals/
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 8:57:10 AM EDT
[#4]
When I pulled a bunch of MAL .308, I got a 10 variance in the loads. It all depends on what gun the ammo was deigned for.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top