Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/17/2003 6:14:48 PM EDT
I own a Weatherby rifle chambered for .300 Winchester Magnum.  I am thinking of ethier having the end of the barrell ported, or purchasing a muzzel brake for it. I understand it would be considerably louder, but i do not mind.  My question is does anyone know of an aftermarket muzzel brake for this style of rifle. And also does anyone have any experience good or bad in having a barrell ported and how it effects performance and recoil.  

Thanks in Advance for your help

Link Posted: 11/18/2003 8:29:44 AM EDT
[#1]
C'mon, someones gotta know something.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 8:55:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Well I had JP Enterprises put their brake on my Sendaro. Took the recoil down to around a 243. I've left several others shoot it and they love it as much as I do. One even sent his 308 out to have it done. The only bad thing I can think of is it is not really appropriate for a hunting rifle. It sets perpendicular to the barrel and is about 2" wide.
My uncles like the porting. The person they used re-crowns the barrel just before the ports. That way the bullet is not affected by them. Not sure how Magna-Porting does it.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 9:54:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Browning makes a good one, I am sure a gunsmith could fit it to yours, they are loud, I hope your sure it will not bother you, it does me.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 10:39:40 AM EDT
[#4]
It's mainly a LOT louder for others that shoot near you on the firing line.

I totally enraged some handgun shooters with no hearing protection.

If this is not a factor please ignore it.

Just thought you should know.

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:
I own a Weatherby rifle chambered for .300 Winchester Magnum.  I am thinking of ethier having the end of the barrell ported, or purchasing a muzzel brake for it. I understand it would be considerably louder, but i do not mind.  My question is does anyone know of an aftermarket muzzel brake for this style of rifle. And also does anyone have any experience good or bad in having a barrell ported and how it effects performance and recoil.  

Link Posted: 11/18/2003 10:52:07 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:

Totally enraged some handgun shooters without hearing protection?  If someone doesn't wear hearing protection when shooting ANY gun or at a firing range, they deserve what they get.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 2:11:04 PM EDT
[#6]
http://pub113.ezboard.com/fparallaxscurioandrelicfirearmsforumsfrm64.showMessage?topicID=243.topic

Yahoos take over public range.

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:

Totally enraged some handgun shooters without hearing protection?  If someone doesn't wear hearing protection when shooting ANY gun or at a firing range, they deserve what they get.

Link Posted: 11/18/2003 2:23:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 2:37:15 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a Rem 700 LSS in a 300 Rem Ultra that was pretty mean to shoot of the bench for more than a couple shots.  I sent it to George Vise (spelling) on the recomendation of Dan Lilja.  I spoke directly with George and took his recomendation on one of his custom brakes.  It is beautiful and works very well.  It is VERY loud (as all of them are to a certain extent).  It has made the rifle very shootable; I'd guess somewhat around a .270 or less.  George does very nice work.
Sleepy717
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 2:49:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes i am looking to reduce felt recoil.  I have a fairly thick recoil pad on the weapon already. The sound of a muzzel break doesn't bother me, i own a G3 with a muzzel break, so i know how noisy a muzzel break makes a weapon.  I would like to be able to comfortably shoot for longer periods of time, that is my main reason for looking into a muzzel break.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 5:19:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Like 9supercomp, I have a JP brake on my Rem700 in 300UltraMag.

It makes a BIG difference.

The noise is not too bad for the shooter, but everyone else on the line hates it.

Link Posted: 11/19/2003 6:09:42 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Yes i am looking to reduce felt recoil.  I have a fairly thick recoil pad on the weapon already. The sound of a muzzel break doesn't bother me, i own a G3 with a muzzel break, so i know how noisy a muzzel break makes a weapon.  I would like to be able to comfortably shoot for longer periods of time, that is my main reason for looking into a muzzel break.

POW,
I have an ArmaLite AR-30 in .300 WinMag with the optional muzzle brake.  Very effective.  I have no idea if this brake will go on your Weatherby but the cost from ArmaLite is $165 and the part number is 30130000 (machined not cast).

5sub
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 6:12:21 AM EDT
[#13]
I have used two brands of muzzle brakes, both being on Remmington 700 .300 ultra mags, a KDF and VAIS, they both work very well at reducing felt recoil, but the noise that is generated is freakin crazy, the VAIS model has ports on the front of the brake, this is designed to redirect some blast and noise forward, it does make it easier on the ears so that would be my recommendation to you, here is a pic...
VAIS BRAKE

I also have a .300winmag and don't find the recoil that severe, I would think twice about using a blast enhancer on your Weatherby.

edited for spelling
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 6:20:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for all the help. I'm gonna look into the JP enterprises break, and see if thats the route i want to go.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 6:56:11 AM EDT
[#15]
If your going to use this rifle for hunting and do install a brake, be sure to wear ear protection, even when your out in the field, because you will damage your hearing.

What model is your Weatherby?
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 5:30:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Happyjack...thank you on the spelling correction on Vais.    That's a nice picture you added.  George sure does nice work.  
Sleepy717
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 10:15:14 AM EDT
[#17]
I have had an ahlmans brake put on my styer 300 win mag  and it made a huge differance-
the ahlmans is a copy of the weatherby brake which reduces felt recoil by 53% the alhmans boasts 50% and it works- I have a couple weatherby 30-378's with the weatherby brake and
the recoil is like shooting a 270 instead of feeling like you got hit with a Bat.
you can order the brake from ahlamns for $53 and have you local gun smith install it.

here is a like to the chuck hawkins site about brakes

http://www.chuckhawks.com/muzzle_brakes.htm

good luck

shon
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top