BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2003 8:52:55 AM EDT
FYI,

5sub

-----------------------------------------------
PRESS RELEASE: ARMALITE® RELEASES THE AR-10(T)™ ULTRA

ArmaLite® is proud to announce the release of the new AR-10(T)™ Ultra Mag, the AR-10(T)™ rifle chambered in .300 Remington Short Ultra Magnum. The AR-10(T)™ Ultra Mag is the result of collaboration between ArmaLite® and the Army Marksmanship Program in Fort Benning, GA. The .300RSUM cartridge was selected over the .300 Winchester Short Magnum because of the Remington’s stronger cartridge case, which is more suitable for use in self loading rifles such as the AR-10(T)™.

There will be some noticeable changes to the famed AR-10(T)™ design on the new Ultra Mag rifles. The barrel has a longer gas system to allow optimum cycling with the .300RSUM cartridge. A noticeably longer gas tube and handguard reflect this change. Internally, the feed ramps have been extended to improve feeding because the .300RSUM cartridges stack in the magazine differently than the .308 Winchester rounds. ArmaLite® is also producing other parts specific to the new rifle, which, include the bolt, extractor, barrel extension, upper receiver, and magazine. The barrels are designed and chambered specifically for the .300RSUM round, they are not a modified .308 caliber barrel.

ArmaLite® is planning to begin shipments of the AR-10(T)™ Ultra Mag rifles in October of 2003. Complete upper half assemblies will also be available and are compatible with existing ArmaLite® AR-10™ lower receivers. The rifles will ship with two five round magazines designed specifically for the new rifles, and the complete upper half assemblies will ship with one magazine. High capacity magazines will not be available.

For more information, please contact ArmaLite, Inc.® at 1-800-336-0184, or check the ArmaLite® website www.armalite.com.

Link Posted: 10/7/2003 11:46:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Sweet.

This will make one hell of a SPR type weapon.
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 1:02:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Pricing on complete rifle is $2340 and $1220 for upper.

Info should be on the ArmaLite website soon.
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 2:05:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Isn't the Army concerned about reliability?  The AR-10 ain't exactly the most robust platform.
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 2:07:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Are the mags still $85 bucks each?
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 10:38:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Great! Now with a really expensive gun already, one can now spend tons more money on a wildcat round!!!!

I love this type of thinking.  Don't get me wrong, I love my AR-10(T) in .308.  The .308 round is plentiful, can be bought anywhere and finally the bullet can be used on anything large here in north america (including man if need be).

If I need something to go a bit further, I'll go with a good bolt action 30-06 or even a 300 Win Mag.  Both bullets don't cost an "arm & and a leg" like these dumb new wildcat rounds do.

I say...."whatever."
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 11:13:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I cant wait to get a select fire version with 30 round mags!!! Ouch now that will be cool.
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 7:21:24 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Isn't the Army concerned about reliability?  The AR-10 ain't exactly the most robust platform.

Yes, the Army and the Navy are concerned about reliability and that's why they chose the AR-10.  Fortunately the Army and Navy also understand they can't shoot these rifles with shit ammunition and shit mags and expect premium results.

Take away pilot error, garbage mags and crab ammunition and the AR-10 IS a robust platform.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 1:40:24 AM EDT
[#8]
It would be fun to have a 10" bbl for it. As well as a Beta mag.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 6:47:59 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Are the mags still $85 bucks each?

New factory 20 round mags can be found easily for $60 now.....at least that's better than $85.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 9:23:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Some specs from MEMORY (and, therefore, suspect):

Barrel twist - 1:10
Ideal bullet weight - 175grn
Estimated 'effective' range:  1000 meters

5sub
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 2:28:33 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Take away pilot error, garbage mags and crab ammunition and the AR-10 IS a robust platform.

Hmmm... that sounds more like a range queen than a battle rifle that can do it in the mud.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 7:46:36 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hmmm... that sounds more like a range queen than a battle rifle that can do it in the mud.

Hmmm... the AR-10 is doing "it" very well in the sand.  I don't know about the mud.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top