Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2003 3:13:09 PM EDT

I shot around 300 rounds of Winchester 9mm today through my Ruger PC9. This is the first time I shot this gun. One thing suprised me: the recoil. It was noticeably more pronounced than through my 9mm semi-autos. I expected little to no recoil, but the opposite was true. I believe the longer barrel made those Winchester rounds more potent due to velocity increase. The dirt was flying high on the berms behind the targets. I tried to sight in my Bushnell 3-9X scope, but the screws kept coming loose due to recoil (when placed on a sandbag). Nevertheless, it's comforting to know the PC9 is rated for +P+ ammunition. It's a heavy gun - making it rather uncomfortable to shoot standing for a long time (either that or I need to work out).

Still, you can tell those rounds went downrange with more authority than they would otherwise through a 4" handgun barrel. With +P hollow point ammo, I can imagine the devastation the longer barrel would make on organic targets.

I'm still waiting to get the Beretta CX4, but until then, I'll be happy shootint this Ruger. I may sell it later when the Beretta arrives, but then again, I may not!
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 3:31:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Clean_cut, I have always liked the idea of a pistol caliber carbine, I have a 9mm Oly and love dumping those 32 round Sten mags. I have toyed with the idea of picking up a Ruger because the magazines interchange with their pistols. BobK
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 3:35:34 PM EDT
[#2]
While some people may have qualms about the potency of the 9mm round through their handguns, I would not hesitate to use a 9mm carbine in a home defense situation. Especially +P ammo, and hollow point.

The cost of a Ruger PC9 is comparable to a quality 9mm AR upper. Ruger P89 15-rd mags are relatively inexpensive.

This gun is very fun to shoot! (Cheap, too).
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 3:44:59 PM EDT
[#3]
That's the fun part getting cheap ammo for the carbine. You can burn up a lot real fast!
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 4:34:24 PM EDT
[#4]
As far as recoil goes my Marlin .44 magnum is one of the hardest kicking carbines I have.  For some reason pistol caliber carbines seem to kick a lot more than you think they will.  I have a Marlin Camp 9 and find it a lot of fun to shoot and it takes s&w mags so it's cheap to shoot all the way around.
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 5:41:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 12:12:55 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
IMO, the Ruger carbine is WAY too heavy, especially for the size of the gun and the power of the caliber.  A Marlin Camp 45 weighs less with a full mag of .45ACP.

-Troy

For what they are, they ARE heavy, but they're also built solid as a rock; they're built a lot stouter than the Marlin Camp Carbines. The nicest thing about the PC-9 is the rear sight; when I bought mine, I was rather pleasantly surprised that it had a REAL sight on it, instead of that folding piece of shit they stick on everything else. Another good thing about the PC-9 is that the USA brand magazines actually work in 'em. The 30-rd mag is so long, though that it almost feels like a monopod. The only thing I really dislike about the PC-9 or PC-40 is that godawful trigger.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 6:56:58 AM EDT
[#7]
I didn't think the recoil was bad at all from my PC9.  I do agree it's heavier than it has a right to be, and I really think they could have put some sling swivels on it.  The trigger could've used some work too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top