Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2003 12:44:14 PM EDT
I just bought a old High Standard model B 22lr w/ 6" barrel. The finish on the frame is pretty good, but the finish on the barrel is pretty bad. There is a lot of rust spots on one side of the barrel, like it sat in a moist holster and rusted the one side.

Should I get this gun refinished? What will it do to the value of the gun...even though it can't be worth too much to begin with. I only paid $150 for it...but it is a nice old 22 that was made in the 1930's.

Can I just get the barrel refinished or will the whole gun need to be done...how much should a re-blue cost?

Also, anyone know who does a good job at re-bluing an old gun?
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 1:06:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Value wise, it isn't worth re-bluing. Considering the condition of the barrel as you describe it, a re-blue will improve it's value. But to a limit since it will no longer be original. In it's current condition, it will never be collectable. An alternative is seeking out a new barrel. They can be had for less than $100.00. Numrich Arms has them from time to time and I'm sure you can find one on the net somewhere.

I just wanted to add,

A few years ago, I picked up a 99% condition Model B with a 4 inch barrel, in the box with one magazine, a box of 30's era ammo and the original instruction tag. I paid $50.00 for it and sold it for $350.00 to a dealer at a show. The only visible wear was where the saftey had been used. It may have been unfired since the box of ammo was full except for the rounds in the magazine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top