Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/25/2003 6:19:25 AM EDT
Just wondering if anyone has any postive comments regarding Vang Comp's shotgun barrel modifications - is it a placebo or does it really work?
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 11:12:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 11:48:41 AM EDT
[#2]
I have heard nothing but good things about the Vang-comp, but porting any gun will increase "seen" muzzle flash by the shooter, and temporary blindness in a low-light CQB scenario...  JMHO
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 12:52:56 PM EDT
[#3]
They work great but it is a fixed choke. Why not screw in chokes and have the barrel back bored. Recoil reduced and the flexibility of screw in chokes. MIKE.
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 8:39:57 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I have heard nothing but good things about the Vang-comp, but porting any gun will increase "seen" muzzle flash by the shooter, and temporary blindness in a low-light CQB scenario...  JMHO

You can get the "choke" mod done without the porting.

Quoted:
They work great but it is a fixed choke. Why not screw in chokes and have the barrel back bored. Recoil reduced and the flexibility of screw in chokes. MIKE.

IIRC, you can still shoot slugs out of a vang gun, but not a conventionally choked gun.
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 2:04:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Seems like a resounding Yea!  Guess I'll give Vang Comp modification a try.  Thanks for the feedback everyone.
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 2:12:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Norman74, I know that you can shoot slugs out of a Vang modified barrel. Slugs can be used in most any choke except extra full turkey chokes and other super full chokes. But my point was that if you have the Vang job done you have a fixed choke. Having the barrel threaded for screw in chokes allows the use of Rifled, extra full, full, trap, modified, improved modifed, improved cylinder, skeet, spreader, cylinder and many more specialty chokes. The screw in chokes give you fexibility. MIKE.
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 2:28:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I owned a Benelli Tactical with screw in chokes.  I put the IC in, and never changed it after that.  I dont need that flexibility in a combat shotgun, and thats what the Vang conversions are.
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 2:53:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Lumpy, Very few people on this site ever use a shotgun or any other gun in combat, thankfully. My post was only to suggest something that would fill the role of a combat shotgun but could also be used to hunt or shoot targets, moving targets. One of the Staff here has a shotgun with a Vang modified barrel. It shoots buckshot very well, period. When he tried to use it for clay targets he was disappointed. You might not want to do anything else with your gun but others might. MIKE.
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 3:19:41 PM EDT
[#9]
I understand the point you are trying to make, honestly.  But most "combat" shotguns are 20" or shorter, while the guns Ive used for bird (real and clay) have been 26" to 30" long.  I would think if you wanted a gun flexible for both roles, the better investment would be in additional barrels.  Not to mention, my serious social shotguns have ghost ring sights, which lend nothing to tracking birds.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top