Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/23/2003 8:34:56 PM EDT
(Reposted from General Discussion)

Shoots high & to the left at 50 yards - very high.

Like every time.

Doesn't matter if I use the OKO Red Dot only.
Or the iron sights (front post + flattop rear tactical carry handle).

I've tried this with the front post raised all the way, w/ all the OKO adjustments I can.

I've damn near had better luck just using the front sight post! Can the front sight post be screwed up? The rear carry handle?

Plz help!
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 9:01:48 PM EDT
[#1]
how about a little history...(?)

just aquired it?
any components just changed?
dropped?
ran over?

fired ok at one time before?

ammo?
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 11:13:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Have different shooters tried it? Is the muzzle crown damaged in any way? Different ammo?
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 7:48:03 AM EDT
[#3]
RRA Lower & Upper, Bushmaster chrome lined M4 barrel - 16 inch, Ak comp.  Has always shot high & to the right - even when it had its original barrel.  With every sight set to its "normal" "unfiddled with" position it shoots - seriously - like a foot and a half high!

Shoot Winchester 55gr FMJ out of it on the range religiously.  Maybe 4-500 rounds sicne rebarreling, A couple of thousand w/ old barrel.

Before rebarreling I had it about dead on in aim w/ the tac handle on & then the OKO on top of that.  Since rebarreling zero was wayyyyyy off w/ the same setup.

Oh, and no damage at all to the barrel or crown...
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 8:52:44 AM EDT
[#4]
ODD, very odd...

same results with 2 different bbls'

ever try bore sighting that thing?

viewing thru the bbl, line up on a distant target, veryify with iron sights.  also checking for warpage in the receiver and front sight post.

if everything looks ok, I'd susspect some sort of problem with your shooting technique.

Has anyone else shot this with the same results?
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 11:01:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes, buddy of mine, a former Marine grunt, - same results.  The guy is a dead-on-shot w/ every other weapon I've seen him shoot & that's what worries me.

He had to fiddle w/ the damn thing for 45 minutes to find zero.  Next time I went to the range, it had lost it.

He suspects a problem w/ the front sight post.  I don't think the fact that the tac handle w/ the rear sights is removeable should be a problem.

I'd say it's my bench shooting technique, but I can't find any flaw in my buddy's...

Going out to range again today to fiddle w/ it - will post report later tonight...
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 11:52:44 AM EDT
[#6]
I have an A3 upper.  With removable carry handle. Mine was shooting way high even with front sight all the way up, and the rear sight all the way down.  I got an extended front sight post from DPMS, and that fixed the problem of running out of elevation.

Link Posted: 6/24/2003 12:12:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Bubba, are you serious?  How freaking tall is your front sight post now?  Doesn't it make it awkard to shoot?  I suspect I may have the same problem...

Was it hard to add in the taller front sight post?
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 2:38:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 6:56:51 PM EDT
[#9]
With my front sight post's base flush with the top of the sight post threads it is .325" tall.  That puts the top just a hair below the "ears" of the sight housing.
That is about .025" taller than the standard I believe.  The DPMS guy I talked to at a gunshow said they made the extended posts for A3 uppers.

Link Posted: 6/26/2003 12:20:55 PM EDT
[#10]
OK, had a smith check it out.  he says the barrel & front sights are lined up perfectly and everything else fits flush.  Wierd.

He suspects that a.) the front sight post is too short - as others have suggested, and b.) the removable tac handle is not the best option for rear sights.  suggested mounting the OKO to the flattop & buying a rear flip-up sight.

Sigh, this is all annoying... I think I'm gonna sell it, get an AK, and wait & see what happens w/ the AWB before buying yet another AR.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 1:46:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quitter.
Of course, the AK was designed for people like you.
Crap, dont give up man! Fix your damn weapon!
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 11:59:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Don't worry I'll never be w/out an AR - this one just didn't mindmeld w/ me!
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 11:48:47 AM EDT
[#13]
I read in the Bushmaster catalog that if you use a detachable carry handle you NEED the taller front sight post. The detachable carry handle does not sit at the same level as a standard carry handle. Just buy the taller fron sight post from Bushmaster and see if that fixes your problem.

This is what the ad says..

A2 square front sight post for flat-tops...$4.95 A3 removable carry handles are higher than mil. spec. and require this .040 taller front sight.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 2:07:27 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I read in the Bushmaster catalog that if you use a detachable carry handle you NEED the taller front sight post. The detachable carry handle does not sit at the same level as a standard carry handle. Just buy the taller fron sight post from Bushmaster and see if that fixes your problem.

This is what the ad says..

A2 square front sight post for flat-tops...$4.95 A3 removable carry handles are higher than mil. spec. and require this .040 taller front sight.

This is very strange.

I bought a NIB Bushmaster from Bushmaster with an A3 handle. I had no problems getting it sighted in right from the factory with the carry handle. In fact it was within 2" right from the factory.

According to you and Bushmaster it should have come with a taller front sight post. It did not because when I removed the handle and put on an Eotech and tried to cowitness with an ARMS #40 BUIS I could not. Had to buy the taller Trijicon front sight post.

Something's fishy.........
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 6:05:11 PM EDT
[#15]
The taller sight posts are for "Flatops" when using a BUIS, such as an ARMS #40, not the carry handle. I know, I one on my BM M4 barrel using the ARMS #40, on a RR upper.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 6:14:52 AM EDT
[#16]

He suspects that the front sight post is too short.

How can it be a front sight problem if it does it with the OKO red dot sight as well?

Before rebarreling I had it about dead on in aim. Since rebarreling, zero was wayyyyyy off with the same setup.

You just answered your own question. Either the barrel is damaged or installed wrong.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 5:02:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 1:44:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Well, as I said before, I sold it and got 2 guns I can use right away instead.  

Having other deb obligations that come first, I'm gonna hold off on another AR purchase until the AWB issue is resolved next year.

I do think it was a combination of the front sight post & barrel mountin that caused the problem.

The thing wasn't Milspec to begin with.  It was one of the LEGP's that RRA did not mill correctly, and then they & Castle Arms failed to pass the little tidbit along until buyers themselves exposed the problem.

I never could fit a flip up rear sight on the damn thing...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top