Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/25/2003 1:31:37 PM EDT
Just curious if anyone objects strenuously to cast lowers on ARs.  Yes, I know forged is better, but is cast good enough in your opinion?
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 1:40:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a couple of DPMS cast receivers for years and never had had any problems with them.  It just depends on who made the receivers.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 2:25:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I've never owned a cast receiver, I've owned two Colts, but I would not reject a cast receiver if it were a quality casting.

Bare in mind Ruger M77 (& m77MKll's), No.1 rifles, P-series auto pistols, and all their revolvers utilize cast receivers. Yet they are all very strong actions. You rarely, if ever, hear of a KB with a Ruger. The NM Blackhawks are very strong and very popular with 'smiths that make real big hand cannons, and the P-series pistols are, though ugly as hell, tougher than a Mack Truck Bulldog.

It's all in the quality of the casting.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 2:28:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I have never nor will I ever purchase a cast AR lower.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 3:12:40 PM EDT
[#4]
marvl, I just don't know of any reason to settle for a cast lower these days. There's what - maybe $10 - $20 difference in cost ??
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 4:02:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I probably wouldn't buy a cast lower myself.  I guess the question would be better expressed as "would a cast lower on a used or preban AR stop you from purchasing it?"
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 4:06:38 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I probably wouldn't buy a cast lower myself.  I guess the question would be better expressed as "would a cast lower on a used or preban AR stop you from purchasing it?"

Actually I wondered if preban was what you were thinking about.  Yes, If the price was right I would buy a preban with a cast lower.  I would, in this case, prefer a rifle that had been shot some as opposed to NIB as I would be pretty sure the correct function was there.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 4:12:37 PM EDT
[#7]
i would not buy a cast lower unless that all there was.

but i do think a cast will work just fine, i dont like the look.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 9:25:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Both my prebans are cast lowers... Essential Arms, excellent castings.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 4:48:54 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a cast EA preban lower also.  The only thing i do not like is the gray color.  My 10/22 and m1a are both cast and havent broken yet and I do not forsee this lower breaking either
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 5:32:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 4:46:25 AM EDT
[#11]
I don't have a problem with using them, especially since I've gotten into building my own from castings.  If forgings were cheaper, I'd be using them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top