Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/7/2003 9:03:18 PM EDT
Tell me about the 9mm Largo.

I have gotten into a cheap surplus gun buying stage (probably becuase I am unemployed), and am thinking about buying a Star Super in 9mm Largo.  

I haven't seen this cartridge discussed, and thought I would ask for opinions.  Is it a good cartridge?  Is the Star a good gun, or should I stay away from it?

I saw the 9mm Largo advertised as being close to a .38 Super, but I didn't know how true it was.

Let me know what you think.

JH94
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 3:49:20 AM EDT
[#1]
I got on a 9mm Largo kick once and still have a couple of the things.  The 9mm Largo is pretty close to the 38 Super.  It's basically a 9mm para with a slightly longer case.  While you can shoot the 9mm largo in a 9x23, don't even think about shooting the 9x23 in a Largo.  The 9x23 is much higher pressure and should be viewed as a magnum.

I have a Destroyer Carbine in 9mmL and it's mucho fun to shoot.  I also have an Astra 400 and I've shot it with various loads and it worked fine.  The 9mm largo was actually pretty stout in this gun.

I owned a Star Super in 9mmL like you're looking at.  It worked fine.  The pistol itself is basically a govt model knock-off, but it differs more than enough to not be called a clone.  I got hammer bite out of it really bad, and I NEVER get hammer bite with any govt model type.  Could have been a weak spring or whatever, but the backstrap is a solid one, so there's no adding a bevertail grip safety to that.  I sold it as it caused pain to shoot it, so I saw little reason in keeping it.  I know of others who haven't had any problems, so you may be fine with it.

As far as the gun/ammo combo, it's a great one.  It runs great, and the ammo is more than capable of reasonably handling anything that comes it's way.  Somebody made defense JHP ammo for the Largo, and you can use cut down .223 cases to make brass.  The Star is scaled down just slightly from a govt model, so it seems a little thinner than a Colt.

Surplus ammo is getting old, and you can expect split cases and other problems with the surplus fodder.  9mm para is probably a better all around caliber to own, but if you have that base covered a 9mmLargo is pretty fun.  The Star is a good platform for it.

Ross
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 5:53:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Ross.  Thats pretty much covered all the bases.

Anyone else care to add anything?

JH94
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 11:37:51 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Thanks Ross.  Thats pretty much covered all the bases.

Anyone else care to add anything?

JH94

9x23 Largo worksmuch better in a Cz52 than 9x19 does.  Makarov.com had a bunch of the 9x19 conversion barrels reamed for Largo a while back (might still have some).  Even using the CCI Blazer hollowpoinmts she feeds fine.  Pressure wise the Largo runs less pressure & slightly higher velocity than standard 9x19 < I think>.  More case capacity allowing for slower powders.  
The CCI Blazer 9x23 seems quite a bit hotter than 30-50 year old Spanish surplus.  Much more bark & flash.
If I ever get some extra $$$$ to play with I think either a Star Super or Astra 400 will be my next C&R pistol.  Probably the Astra if only because of the quirky looks.  A Destroyer carbine would be sweet also.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top