Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/25/2003 2:30:42 PM EDT
I've been shooting a lot of 22 this winter, so I just thought I'd share the toys.

Smith & Wesson Model 17

Ruger Mark II w/Volquartson Upgrades

Walther P22

NEOS U22

Mitchell/High Standard Citation II

Smith & Wesson Model 317 Airweight

Smith & Wesson Model 41

Smith & Wesson Model 34-1

Mitchell/High Standard Victor

Link Posted: 3/25/2003 5:40:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice set, DavidC.
I'm interested in how your NEOS has performed.
I bought the blue shorty a while ago and it's still "NIB", unused.
Anything in particular to look for or special preparations prior to shooting?
How'd yours shoot/function?
Thanks for sharing the pix.
Link Posted: 3/25/2003 6:03:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I've put less than 500 rounds through the NEOS. The trigger pull isn't too good, other than that it's acceptably accurate.

There are some pretty detailed instructions on rimfirecentral.com for a trigger mod for the U22, but I haven't decided if I want to try that yet.

I'm looking forward to the carbine conversion coming out.

Link Posted: 3/25/2003 10:29:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I wouldn't know a good trigger pull if I felt one...so that lengthy procedure on rimfirecentral will not be necessary!
I started looking at it once and to be brutally honest, my opening comment is true.

Since I like to change things, though, maybe I'll wait for the carbine kit to come out and give both a try.

Glad to hear the gun seems to work well.
Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/25/2003 10:53:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice collection, but you need a ruger single-six to finish it up.. lol
Link Posted: 3/26/2003 4:30:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Okay, now which is your favorite for general plinking and informal accuracy work?  
Link Posted: 3/26/2003 5:43:16 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Okay, now which is your favorite for general plinking and informal accuracy work?  

It's a toss-up between the Model 17 and the Citation II. Here in PA you can't hunt with an autoloader, so if I get the urge to deal with tree rats with a handgun, I use the Model 17.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 6:05:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Got too good a deal on this one to pass up

S&W 617-1 8-3/8" 6-shot

Link Posted: 5/29/2003 1:45:30 PM EDT
[#8]
How do you like the 317 airweight? I've always wanted one myself.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 3:23:31 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
How do you like the 317 airweight? I've always wanted one myself.

I bought it to carry when I wasn't carrying a real gun, but I've pretty much replaced it with a KelTec P32 for that purpose.

I've probably only put 100 rounds through it. It's easily the least favorite of my 22's. The Model 34, in the same frame size, is a much nicer gun for general purpose shooting. The 317 kit gun might be a better balanced piece, too, but I've never handled one

Link Posted: 5/29/2003 4:59:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Way COOL!!!

Link Posted: 6/5/2003 9:31:07 PM EDT
[#11]
how do you think the walther stacks up to the NEOS?

that is a hot question in my circles
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 11:49:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 5:06:22 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
how do you think the walther stacks up to the NEOS?

that is a hot question in my circles

The Walther grip is tiny, even with the larger backstrp installed, and the trigger is so-so. I bougt it mainly for training my kids and a couple female friends with small hands. I have a GemTech can waiting for Form 4 approval for it, so it will likely see more use when that shows up.

The NEOS is cool looking, points well, has good ergonomics, and the worst trigger I've ever felt on a quality 22 pistol. There are detailed directions on Rimfire Central for working the trigger, but it's not a simple task.

Link Posted: 6/6/2003 11:13:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Nice but I though everyone was boycotting S&W and Ruger. I like the Walther though, way cool.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 9:30:10 PM EDT
[#15]
I also thoroughly enjoy shooting 22LR. They are real kick(pun intended). I use it to train new shooters, and just to blasting around. I have a S&W Mod 41 with 5½ BBL and an old ancient Colt Diamondback with 6" BBL. The Diamondback looks exactly like a Python except that it is smaller. This was the most expensive 22LR at the time I bought it. Now it is a semi-collectible because Colt only made one-run of this gun.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 5:28:52 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Nice but I though we were boycotting S&W and Ruger. I like the Walther though, way cool.

Well, you have to be of legal buying age before you can boycott anyone.. :)
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 6:32:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 7:24:50 AM EDT
[#18]

The Diamondback looks exactly like a Python except that it is smaller. This was the most expensive 22LR at the time I bought it. Now it is a semi-collectible because Colt only made one-run of this gun.

The 22 Diamondbacks are definitely collectibles, with 98% guns bringing about $750. Colt made more than a single run of them, but there just aren't that many around (probably aroudd 20,000 total in 22LR.

The rarest is the 22lr in nickle with a 6" barrel. Only 2200 were made in 1979, and 95% guns sell for around $900.

Next in rarity are the 2 1/2" barrel 22 or any chambered in 22 Mag.

Nice guns, and if I ever find one at a good price it will get added to the collection.

Link Posted: 6/7/2003 7:51:11 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

The Diamondback looks exactly like a Python except that it is smaller. This was the most expensive 22LR at the time I bought it. Now it is a semi-collectible because Colt only made one-run of this gun.

The 22 Diamondbacks are definitely collectibles, with 98% guns bringing about $750. Colt made more than a single run of them, but there just aren't that many around (probably aroudd 20,000 total in 22LR.

The rarest is the 22lr in nickle with a 6" barrel. Only 2200 were made in 1979, and 95% guns sell for around $900.

Next in rarity are the 2 1/2" barrel 22 or any chambered in 22 Mag.

Nice guns, and if I ever find one at a good price it will get added to the collection.

Wow! Thanks for the info on the Diamondback. I'm only a semi-collector, if that much. I didn't even know that they made a nickeled Diamonback 6", nor chambered for 22WinMag. I bought mine in '79 for something like $300 at Pachmyars in downtown L.A., Calif. A rather princely sum for a 22LR at that time. In my Colt catalogue for that year, they didn't even list the nickeled version. It was dropped from the catalog in the subsequent year.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top