Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2003 4:30:08 PM EDT
On the way to the range yesterday, to test my XM177E2 clone with the new forward assist upper (after 25 years), stopprd at a dealers to pick up some ammo.  They were in the middle of inventory, and had apparently found some Chinese (Norinco) and Malaysian stuff sitting in the back room.  Bought a couple boxes of each, with the idea that if one or both shot well, I'd pick up more.

The Chinese stuff did pretty well. Perfect function, and accuracy on a par w/the W-W FMC stuf I often use.

Stay away from the Malasian tho.  Failure to feed after failure to feed. Since it wouldn't send the bolt assy back far enough to engage the hold open on the last round, have to assume short recoil all the way.  The stuff might function better in a 20" barrel, but not in the 11 1/2 incher on the piece I had.

On the other hand, if you come accross some of the Norinco stuff at a good price, you might consider getting it.  Decent accuracy, excellent function, and the cases are boxer primed so you can reload 'em.  For the same money they get for the steel case Russian ammo around here, not a bad deal.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 5:24:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought a case of Malaysian 5.56mm a few years ago when it was plentiful (98 IIRC). It is by far the best foreign surplus 5.56mm that I've ever owned/shot. I've never had a problem with it. Accuracy, function and cleanliness have been top shelf. I have never heard anyone complain about the Malaysian ammo before. When it hit the market it was widely regarded as "good stuff".
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 5:29:33 PM EDT
[#2]
The Norinco is also mildly corrosive.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 11:37:52 PM EDT
[#3]
i've shot the norinco stuff, not too bad in fact i kinda liked it, reasonable accuracy outta my 16", though that miight be because i don't have the sights completly dialed in yet.
-Jesse
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 7:34:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Happy for the responses.  All I can say re the Malaysian ammo is that it didn't work well out of the 11.5 inch barrel .I'm willing to believe that it does OK out of a longer barrel.  Might go ahead and buy all of what he has in both types, and reserve the Malaysian for the 20" barrel. Only talking about a couple of hundred rounds anyway.

Re the Chinese being corrosive, box says it's noncorrosive, but I'll keep an eye on the piece for a few days just to make sure
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 8:02:38 AM EDT
[#5]
I'll second the malaysian stuff being good ammo.
never had a problem with it out of a 20" bushy.
Loaded really hot, accuracy was good and the powder burned really clean.
The lot I have is 86, mabey they changed the recipe.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 9:08:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Mine is lot 39. It was Mfg. in June of 82. I wish I could find another case.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 10:57:52 AM EDT
[#7]
I bought an 820 round can for 89.99 a few months back... wish the shop had more than one can [sigh].
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 1:43:37 PM EDT
[#8]
I personally love the Malaysian ammo and buy it whenever I am able to find it. It has been the best surplus ammo that I have shot, it is clean burning, hot loaded, and accurate. I keep all that I find as back up for my newer production SHTF ammo because it works so well.

I also have an XM177 clone and it functions with the Malaysian ammo just as well as the the rest of the rifles I have shot it in. I noticed in your post that you said you were testing new upper on the rifle. How much have you shot this new upper? Could it be that it just needs to be shot a little more?
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 3:29:34 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I also have an XM177 clone and it functions with the Malaysian ammo just as well as the the rest of the rifles I have shot it in. I noticed in your post that you said you were testing new upper on the rifle. How much have you shot this new upper? Could it be that it just needs to be shot a little more?

The upper reciever is new to me, but is actually a slightly used commercial AR job. Don't know if that had anything to do w/the problems.  The Chinese stuff, some S&B, and some W-W all were perfect.  For what the shop is asking dor the few boxes he has, I'll probably go ahead and buy it, and the Chinese stuff both.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top