Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/10/2002 7:33:16 PM EDT
The only reason I am even asking this question is because there is such a significant price difference between Colt's 20 inch and Bushmaster's 20 inch.  Are there some machining differences I should know about?  How is Colt's over twice the price of Bushamster?  The gun I'm re-abbreling is a Colt MT6601C, which is why I wanted to get the Colt barrel.  

www.colt.com/colt/html/a4c11_replacementbarrel.html

www.bushmaster.com/shopping/barrel-assemblies/pbbl-20a.asp
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 7:40:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Bushmaster without question. Best bang for you $$$
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 12:27:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Supposedly the Colt has a slightly ovoid chamber to aid extraction.  I dont buy it.  I would get Colt just to stay all Colt though but thats just me.  From a pactical point of view there is no difference.
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 7:06:48 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Supposedly the Colt has a slightly ovoid chamber to aid extraction.  I dont buy it.  I would get Colt just to stay all Colt though but thats just me.  From a pactical point of view there is no difference.

What he said.  Don't know exactly how big a price difference there is, but I'd tend to want to keep the thing all Colt if the dif is only 30 or 40 bucks.  Over $50, I might have to rethink the problem.
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 9:18:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Colt is almost twice the price.
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 9:38:44 PM EDT
[#5]
If you are never gonna sell it then make a colt bushy,if you plan on keeping its value as a Colt then you would be well advised to buy the colt barrel!

There is little difference in reliability in the two barrels!

Bob  
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 10:18:42 PM EDT
[#6]
The only difference I see is the twist issue. Depending on what kind of ammo you shoot or want to shoot, the Colt 1/7 twist barrel might come in handy. If I was rebarreling I would go with a 1/7 twist so I could shoot the terrific heavier bullets that's making such a splash...like the 75, 77 and even 100 gr BTHP match loads from Hornady and Black Hills. Only a 1/7 twist will reliably stabilize these bullets.

So, if you plan to shoot 69 gr or under, go with the Bushy barrel. But if you think the heavy bullets might interest you, get the Colt 1/7 twist barrel.

That's the only distinction I would make between the two.
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 3:34:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Holy Crap! The Colt barrel assy. is almost as much as a brand new complete Bushmaster upper?

Colt should be boycotted just for sticking it to the general public the way they have for years now. It's almost like they don't want us civilians  buy their products anymore.

BTW, you can probably find a cheaper Colt barrel (or complete upper for that matter) on the Equipment Exchange here. But there is no way in hell I'd pay the kind of cash Colt has advertised on their website for just a barrel.
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 9:09:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Geez at those prices I would go with a Krieger barrel.
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 9:18:38 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Holy Crap! The Colt barrel assy. is almost as much as a brand new complete Bushmaster upper?

Colt should be boycotted just for sticking it to the general public the way they have for years now. It's almost like they don't want us civilians  buy their products anymore.

BTW, you can probably find a cheaper Colt barrel (or complete upper for that matter) on the Equipment Exchange here. But there is no way in hell I'd pay the kind of cash Colt has advertised on their website for just a barrel.

10-4 on that.
I would not buy Colt just on principal alone.
Besides, the chromed-lined BM barrel will clean up easier and probably last longer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top