Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/16/2002 11:29:11 AM EDT
Link Posted: 11/16/2002 1:46:50 PM EDT
[#1]
The BAR actually dates to WWI, which instantly moves it from cool to ultra-cool in my eyes.

As far as the Mini-14 vs. AR debate, it's been done here a million times, but my Ranch-14, with an $85 Bushnell Dusk&Dawn scope, gets 2" groups at 100 yards, resting it on my gun case. If you can get good mags (new PMI's), and have a few spare parts, a Mini is hard to beat, though my AR is much cooler.
Link Posted: 11/16/2002 9:08:38 PM EDT
[#2]
You're absolutely right in your initial assumption that they used "BAR" to capitalize on the old military recognition.  The only thing that's the same about them is that they're both gas operated.

By the way, the actual designation was M1918A2. The A1 was a between the wars update of original M1918's from WW1 that only hung on for a few years, and all of them were updated to the A2 configuration, as were all the M1918s still in service during WW2.
Link Posted: 11/21/2002 4:20:45 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
You're absolutely right in your initial assumption that they used "BAR" to capitalize on the old military recognition.  The only thing that's the same about them is that they're both gas operated.

True, and the modern replacement (we haven't really had one since it was retired), the M249 Squad Automatic Weapon/FN MINIMI, not surprisingly, uses a BAR-type mechanism.
Link Posted: 11/21/2002 6:17:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I want either gun, how much does a BAR (not the military one, the newer rifle) go for?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top