Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/10/2002 10:21:33 AM EDT
I have a fare amount of build up on the bolt
behind the bolt rings.
What's the best way to get it off.
I've been scrubbing it but it has been baked on there.

Should I just soak it in something for a while then
give it more hell with the wire brush ?

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 10:26:02 AM EDT
[#1]
I scrub mine with Stainless steel wire brush!

It doesn't hurt the finish at all.  I've been doing that at every cleaning for years!
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 10:52:37 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm using the steel wire brush.
Now that its cleaner it looks to be more
weld related when the bolt was first made.
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 6:05:33 PM EDT
[#3]
No weld on the bolt of an AR/M16.  all one piece of steel.

Scrape the carbon off with the mouth of 5.56 or 7.62 brass.  Works perfectly!
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 7:14:42 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm funna try the empty case technique next time.  It sounds like a good idea.  
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 8:59:14 AM EDT
[#5]
What a bizarre question from a person who has maintained a 5000 post/year rate.  Must be a joke, or a reminder for others who may have the same question, but who are afraid to ask?  For others who haven't read the manual?  

I really find it difficult to believe that this is a sincere question.  You must have cleaned your bolt before now, right?

"weld related"?  A typo?

Anyway, for me, the best way to remove this buildup is to scrub it off.  Doesn't usually require a thoroughly lubed elbow, but if you need to grease that joint, then do it.
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 9:09:57 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm gonna try 2+2 Gum Cutter carb cleaner on my bolt and carrier to see if it will soften the carbon. Anyone tried anything like that?
MM419
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 9:13:24 AM EDT
[#7]
I like GUN SCRUBBER
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 3:33:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I spray mine with Gunscrubber then I dip an old chamberbrush in Hoppes and scrub it..works everytime.
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 3:51:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Brake cleaner. How many times do I have to repeat myself?
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 4:11:29 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
What a bizarre question from a person who has maintained a 5000 post/year rate.  Must be a joke, or a reminder for others who may have the same question, but who are afraid to ask?  For others who haven't read the manual?  

I really find it difficult to believe that this is a sincere question.  You must have cleaned your bolt before now, right?

"weld related"?  A typo?

Anyway, for me, the best way to remove this buildup is to scrub it off.  Doesn't usually require a thoroughly lubed elbow, but if you need to grease that joint, then do it.

Some people I know and shoot with have yet to clean
there gun and take it COMPLETELY apart.
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 4:25:23 PM EDT
[#11]
i am using a mix of mineral spirits and trans fliud in my parts washer. It cuts carbon like butter. Let it soak about 10 min and lightly scrub with a bras brush. Softens it right up.

mike
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 5:43:56 PM EDT
[#12]
I always just spray some CLP on it, then scrape the stuff off with a pocket knife (one of my more dull ones). Never seemed do damage my bolt at all. Works for me.
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 6:18:27 PM EDT
[#13]

If you have access to an ultrasonic cleaner, try that.  The stuff that doesn't fall off in the cleaner can easily be knocked off with a brass brush.

p.s. This works for any part (especially anything around a gas system) on a gun.  
I clean the gas piston in my Beretta 391 this way and it works better that ANYTHING I have ever tried before.

J

Link Posted: 11/26/2002 9:33:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Use an old bore brush and some elbow grease.  The rounded profile of the bore brush fits this curved area of the bolt very well.  A good carbon cleaner/solvent, bore brush, and a little determination go a long way!  
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 5:17:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Brake cleaner. How many times do I have to repeat myself? personalpages.tds.net/~eflanagin/moon.gif                                                       we must have e s p.....just make sure to lube...as it will dry out everything.......brakekleen....cheap at any auto parts store........
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 5:29:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Nice "tude" IMHO.

Jeez... you just scrape it off, with anything handy.  Brass case mouths are good, because they wont damage any "finish"

I find the bolts to be self cleaning... there is a little buildup that will add itself to the bolt, but eventually it will only build up so far.  I usutally just wipe it down real good with CLP, and dont worry much about it.  I only clean the bolt *real* good when I am feeling freaky.

BTW - While Brake parts cleaner/gunscrubber are great at removing all traces of oil/carbon/film, they wont take off this heavy carbon buildup without substantial scrubbing and re-application.  Scraping is the best/fastest way to remove it.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top