Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/3/2002 6:46:53 PM EDT
I am going to pick up a Ruger 10/22 soon. I realize Iam entering the dreary stage of the year here in Ohio. I plan on shooting indoors for a few months...

I want a ruger 10/22. What do you folks recommend in the way of aftermarket barrels and stocks? There is a Clark barrel/hogue stock thing in SGN this week for $99.

What is an accurate barrel? I've heard many say that the stock barrel is better than any of the aftermarket stuff...

Opinions?
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 6:53:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you sure it isn't a 'Clerke' barrel?...and the Hogue bull bbl. stock?

I heard about that deal on rimfirecentral.com and think I may be going that way.

10/22's are something you can go bananas with...as in aftermarket mania.
That stock/bbl. thing is a good start.

Good luck and have fun!
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 6:54:14 PM EDT
[#2]
its all in the trigger.

A .920 bbl with a Fajen thumbhole stock can't out-shoot a otherwise stock 10/22 with a good trigger.

I's start there and then buy the accessaries.

i'd advice that if you go with a bull barrel to have it threaded into the reciever instead of using the stock compression v-block. Don't go overly heavy since the receivers are thin. Is a hard rifle to float the barrel.
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 7:05:21 PM EDT
[#3]
The stock barrels suck unless you are talking about the Target model.  The best bang/buck is with Green Mountain barrels.

The trigger - lousy.  Unless you are comfortable modifying it yourself, the cheapest way to go is to get the Volquartsen hammer.  About $30.00.

I don't personally like the Hogue stocks, but many people do.  I have heard of accuracy problems with them unless you bed them.

Clerke barrels get good reviews, but I have never used one.

Check out www.rimfirecentral.com.
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 7:15:35 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The stock barrels suck unless you are talking about the Target model.  The best bang/buck is with Green Mountain barrels.

The trigger - lousy.  Unless you are comfortable modifying it yourself, the cheapest way to go is to get the Volquartsen hammer.  About $30.00.

I don't personally like the Hogue stocks, but many people do.  I have heard of accuracy problems with them unless you bed them.

Clerke barrels get good reviews, but I have never used one.

Check out www.rimfirecentral.com.

I think the Hogue stocks are not rigid enough, I dislike the texture and feel.

I remember when Reinhardt Fajen went TU and a decent .920 finished thumbhole went for $99.  

Do you have any experience with the carbon fiber or tension barrels?
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 7:35:27 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
10/22's are something you can go bananas with...as in aftermarket mania.

Yup...That's for sure I got about $1300 into this one:

I disagree with the statement it's all in the trigger. I have a Titan Competition barrel on mine that I have shot under 1/2"- 9 shot groups with on a regular basis at 50 yards that my stock barrel can't perform.The trigger is definitely a huge factor though if you have the means buy a volquartsen custom trigger assembly.

Here's some good links:
www.sportables.com
www.volquartsen.com
-I bought all my upgrades at sportables.com I recommend them highly.

-John

Link Posted: 11/3/2002 7:49:20 PM EDT
[#6]
well, with those upgrades.
jeweled bolt, barrel sight mount, etc....

I'll back-peddle!

There is many direct bolt-on barrels and stocks. My point was to not put faith in those items. In the end the trigger is essential. I guess i'm speaking from experiece from the range against the masses of less quality 10/22's with tacky bolt-ons.
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 10:03:10 PM EDT
[#7]
i bought that $99 combo for mine and i like it, i got the 20 inch. if i did it again though, id get the 16 inch barrel cuz the 20 is one heavy piece...other essential parts: mag release extension, bolt lock thingy, weaver TO-9 rail, volq. target hammer (previously mentioned), and maybe a bolt buffer (i dont know if it really does anything but its cheap and easy to install)
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 11:46:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Mine is the stainless one with a Choate pistol grip rifle stock, Volquartsen trigger and buffer recoil pin, a clark one inch scope riser and a Simmons 6.5 X 20 X 50 scope.
Toss is a couple of Butler Creek 25 round mags and it's a great gun.

It's pretty darn accurate just like that.
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 12:13:58 AM EDT
[#9]
that bolt buffer will keep your receiver from
cracking between the two holes in the receiver
Bluemax
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 7:51:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Why not leave in stock?? Buy one at Dicks for $150.00, and put a decent scope and rings on it. Dicks and Gander Mtn are selling Tascos for 1/2 off.....A stock 10/22 can still shoot better than me!!!!
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 8:37:15 AM EDT
[#11]
This one has the Butler creek stock and 20" bbl combo. Trigger has overtravel screw installed and breaks at 1.75 lbs. (yes, it can read your mind)
Optics consist of a simmons 6x18 AO airgun scope with a Loopie base and rings.
With Rem SS ammo (indoors) it will shoot one ragged hole at 25 feet. Plenty accurate for me although there is always room for improvement.
Edited to add:
 The bbl is bedded and the action is free floated. I used wax paper and modeling putty to bed the bbl. It came out really well.
I don't have much money in this one but it turned out to be a great little shooter. Accurate as all hell and cheaper than the majority of them I've seen.

Link Posted: 11/4/2002 10:56:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Hey USNJoe-
Are you planning to knock off Santa there or what?  Nice bait.
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 12:13:00 PM EDT
[#13]
I had a 10/22, sold it because of the trigger, worst I ever experienced. Wasn't gonna piss away money into it when i had a Marlin 781 bolt gun that could shoot rings around it without even trying.

My next 22 will be a Browning BuckMark Rifle. WAY more comfortable and has an excellent trigger stock. Little pricey but has many more benefits than the 10/22 stock.

SorryOciffer
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top