Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/3/2002 4:00:32 PM EDT
I have a Dillon 650 but I have only loaded pistol ammo before.

Do I need to get a single stage press to turn out quality ammo for a precision rifle??

Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 4:22:55 PM EDT
[#1]
No, according to Dillon, you can load precision ammo just fine.

My buddy backs this up, since he loads his 600 and up ammo on his Dillon.
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 4:25:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I load on a 550 Dillon press. My son has shot some 300 WM handloads that went 5 rounds 3/8" at 100 yards. Yes, these presses can turn out match quality loads .

Link Posted: 11/3/2002 4:25:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm just starting the same process myself. My friends in the know have given some good advice - Go ahead and get a single stage press. Nothing fancy, you can pick up a Lee single stage kit for $30 at Midway. Anyway, the only other advice I was given was to get neck sizer dies for precision loads and use brass that was fired in the gun your loading for. I will be borrowing my buddy's bullet seating depth gauge to really tune the dies. There are others on this site with LOTS more experience thatn me. Hopefully they will reply.

Good luck.

Link Posted: 11/3/2002 4:58:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I just started loading seriously consistent .308 with my 550B.  It holds its calibrations VERY well but doesn't meter some of the larger pencil-lead lookin powders like IMR 4895 as accurately as I'd like.  $9 worth of powder trickler solved my problem.  
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 5:16:09 PM EDT
[#5]
HiCapMag, If you want to craft precision rifle ammunition, I would advise you to go with a single stage press and hand weigh each charge.With precision ammunition you want as little variance as possible, and maximum control over the reloading process.Look at Redding dies for precision reloading.My rounds loaded on my single stage RCBS Rockchucker will put 5 rounds dead center into a quarter(the size of the bullseye on our Huns head target) at 300 meters(This was a 5 shot exposure target at one of our sniper matches). HTH. Skullboy
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 11:32:26 PM EDT
[#6]
I should point out, when I handload for accuracy I treat the Dillon as a single stage press, taking my time and weighing each charge individually as others have indicated.

But then the 550B is so versatile, I can swap out die carriers and load up two boxes of .45acp in an hour for 9 cents a round.  Try that with your single stage Lyman.
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 12:11:01 PM EDT
[#7]
You might want to try the Dillon first and see if it meets your parameters.  I use a 550 to load 223s with 55 gr. Calhoon hollowpoints and they shoot under 1/2 in. at 100.  The only thing different I do from fmj practice type ammo is to work slower so not to spill any powder.

Handloader magazine had an article saying two most important points in reloading were uniform case necks and consistantly uniform roundness on the bullets.  You might want to pick up a copy.
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 1:48:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I've got a 550 at home set up for .45ACP.  It kicks A$$.  I can load about 200 rounds an hour (I don't go real fast), and have few problems.

I do still prefer to load my rifle ammo by hand.  Especially my match stuff.  I'm sure the Dillon could handle it well, but I don't want to have to mess around with recalibrating everything or getting another powder hopper.  

I WOULD like to do that when I reload for my .30 carbine.  I'll shoot a lot more, like a pistol, so quicker will be better.  
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 3:23:44 PM EDT
[#9]
I've got a 550 and use it to reload my rifle ammo. My M1A ammo will hold under an inch for 10 shots. my 700 VS will do well under .4" (5 shots) all at 100. The press is well able to turn out great ammo. The secret to turning out premium ammo is your attention to detail. Rifle loading isn't like pistol. Get good dies (I like redding), tune your loads, and pay attention to all the details and you'll have good ammo. Get sloppy, and you'll have crap ammo.
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 5:07:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for all the replies!
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 5:49:16 PM EDT
[#11]
I crank out .223 & 308 on my RL650. It is of excellent quality and shoots better than I do.

But - To do this you must select a powder that will meter very well in a Dillon powder measure, which eliminates many IMR/Dupont powders.

(maybe if I wasn't such a hardcore caffeine junky...)
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 8:08:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Sounds like I will stick with ye ole 650.

What about dies -- do you use Dillon (do they make them for 300 mag?), Redding, Lyman, etc???

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 5:46:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Uruuhhh????  (Tim Allen Sound)
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 7:31:29 PM EDT
[#14]
I have both Dillon and RCBS dies that I use for my 550B, my .308 and .45acp are RCBS and my .44mag are Dillon.  Can't tell any significant difference in quality or performance.  Customer service by both companies is reputed to be excellent, see above.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top