BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/25/2002 8:21:20 AM EDT
[#1]
unreliable out of the box?

I can't say as I've had that particular problem, and mine is an 80 series 1991A1. It has never been touched by a gunsmith, and the only things I've changed on it are the mainspring housing and trigger (just didn't like/trust the plastic ones), grips (personal preference to wood). And it ran for over three thousand rounds like that without so much as a hiccup. I have since added nite sites, a drop-in beavertail, and extended thumb safety. None of these were out of pure necessity, they were simply because I liked/wanted them. and the damn thing has run another 1000 rounds like that with no problems. I don't even have a lowered or flared ejection port that so many feel are mandatory on a duty/carry gun.
I have carried this gun for both duty as well as concealed carrry so it has seen it's share of foul weather and use. So, I just can't fathom that a weapon that would feed empty cases out of the box and has never had any type of malfuntcion could be considered unreliable without spending hundreds of dollars to make it work.

Dirk
Link Posted: 10/25/2002 1:06:06 PM EDT
[#2]
1911 out of the box reliable?

I ain't never had an issue with this one except for one stovepipe shooting cheap ass Wolf ammo.
Dead on accuracy too.

One out of about 1200 rounds

Note the Wilson Combat mag.....only way to go.

Did I mention it's on my hip right now?

Link Posted: 10/25/2002 5:01:38 PM EDT
[#3]
It is unAmerican to bad-mouth 1911s.  When I become dictator of the U.S. I will require every citizen to own at least 2.  I will require Darin_Marple to own a dozen.
Link Posted: 10/25/2002 6:39:56 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Darlin Marple, Others:
You 1911 guys all stick together and just maybee you can convince each other they are as good as you and the gun writers keep telling yourselves.

Thanks for the response.

I think it's just possible that you got a lemon, and we're not all deluded and anachronistic fools.  

Hey - I bought a brand new Honda Accord two years ago, and it gave me all sorts of trouble, whereas my Dodge Stratus worked perfectly and never had a problem.  But despite that, it's still a reality that Honda has outstanding quality, and Dodge has piss-poor quality.

By the same token - I do not doubt you that you had a bad 1911 - but that doesn't mean that the 1911 is a bad or generally unrealiable gun.  After all, with millions of 1911s built, a few of them are bound to be bad - just like a few Glocks are going to blow up.  Does it mean Glocks are dangerous guns?  Of course not.

Like Darin_Maple said - whatever floats your boat.  If you don't like 1911s, that's cool and is totally your choice.  I don't personally have anything against other pistols (and used to have a SIG210 - man that was a sweet gun), I just like the 1911.

At least we all like guns.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2002 7:10:31 PM EDT
[#5]
1911's only suck because I don't have one anymore. Mine was a Colt A1 made in the late 40's to early 50's. All stock, never jammed with my dad and I's semi-wadcutter reloads and accurate as the day is long. Some POS stole it from me in a burglary (1990) when I lived in Houston. Got it in 88' for my 18th Bday present from my dad. If I ever find the guy that took it from me.... (use most horrifying graphic image of torture here)....

I carry a G21 on duty as a LEO and Weapons Instructor. Also, accurate and highly reliable (my instructor course had three days on the range with blowing snow and temps in the low teens). I wouldn't give up the Glock for anything but a 1911A1 (ok, maybe for a SW625 too).
Link Posted: 10/25/2002 7:39:24 PM EDT
[#6]
They only hold 7 rounds
Link Posted: 10/25/2002 11:15:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Okay guys, I slammed the holy 1911.  Didn't mean to upset anyone out there, just stating my actual experiences when I thought I was asked (but really wasn't)
I have to admit the pics up the page a bit further look like fine guns indeed!  
The 1911 sure has a cult following AND when someone (like me) is brave enough to challenge that holy grail you guys sure are ready to defend the old war horse.   And rightfully so!  I'm glad as hell we can have whatever handgun feels good to each of us, and several for most of us. Keep the economy going buy another!
Link Posted: 10/26/2002 2:05:20 AM EDT
[#8]
I will take my expensive but reliable ParaOrd P14 .45 Super against anything in the world.  Fully loaded, its a heavy beast with 15 rounds of 1200 FPS 200 Gr JHP's but its also very accurate.

.45 Super?  I will never go back.  .41 Magnum energy with a .451 bullet.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2002 10:48:12 AM EDT
[#9]
screw the 1911. get yourself an HK USP 45. it holds more ammo, is more durable and reliable,  is more accurate and is the modern choice of our special forces soldiers.
Link Posted: 10/26/2002 2:22:49 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
screw the 1911. get yourself an HK USP 45. it holds more ammo, is more durable and reliable,  is more accurate and is the modern choice of our special forces soldiers.

True, but not all the soldiers.  The Navy Seal GI is the SS P226.  And don't phase out the trusty ol' steel battlehorse, "THE 1911."  Refer to comment below and link.

Designated by the Marines as the M1911A. This design has proven itself as a standard issue side arm since WWII, with its predecessor seeing service in WWI. The large caliber gives it the stopping punch that will fall the most determined assailant, a big plus in the trenches. Although it has being phased out in favor of the P226, this hand cannon is still a favorite among the SEAL Teams.
www.navyseals.com/community/navyseals/weapons_colt.cfm

YOU TRY...BUT YOU JUST CANT GET RID OF US!!
Link Posted: 10/26/2002 4:22:15 PM EDT
[#11]
 Here's the last thing you'll hear from me on this topic, then I'll shut my gibbs:

Guns are tools.  These tools are meant to perform a certain function (reliable, accurate fire), and to perform that function for a long length of time (durability).

Now, aesthetics (looks) are important in a car or in a woman...but in a gun that's the last damn thing I am worried about.  

I think EVERYONE can agree that reliability should be the numero uno consideration in any pistol, then accuracy, then durability, then ergonomics (how it fits your hand), and THEN looks.  

That being said, I concede that the dressed-up 1911 is a better looking weapon than the utilitarian (blocky) Glock.  

The most important aspect- reliability- a Glock will fire out of the box with no reliability problems, 99.99% of the time.  I seriously doubt that 1911 owners can claim the same.  It's nice that you have an emotional attachment to your pistol, but facts are facts.  And yes, I am aware that some morons have had KB's with their Glocks by completely ignoring the gun's safety manual.  For the amount of Glocks out there, there really aren't that many problems to be found, provided the shooter is competent.  Of course, any mechanical device can fail.  Reliability advantage- Glock.  

To those who aren't comfortable with a polymer frame- that's ok too, but don't try to distort the physical facts:  Not only is polymer stronger than steel for its weight, but it also absorbs more recoil than a comprable alloy or steel frame does.  

All of this crap about a Glock 'flipping' more than a 1911 is BS as well- the axis of the bbl is much lower to the hand on a Glock than with a 1911.  

Speaking of hands, I have one of those average adult male hands, and I find the 1911 horrible in the ergonomics department, while the Glock fits my hand like it was designed for me- I like that.  

I have no doubt that the 1911 is a wonderful design, and the weapon does have its rightful place in our glorious history.  So does the Ford Model T, and the first telephone ever manufactured, etc.  You would catch me driving a Model T before you saw me carrying a 1911- just because something is 100 years old does not mean that it's the best thing available today.  

Old stuff has its place, just not in my gun safe until I have the $$$ to become a serious collector.  Every collector should have at least one 1911.  

Accuracy for either weapon is fine, with a slight edge given to the 1911, out of deference to the design.  With match bbls, either is capable of out-shooting the shooter.  No edge for either gun, in a practical comparison.    

The firepower argument is secondary, but it certainly is not a DISadvantage of the Glock, is it?  I damn sure am NOT complaining about 16 rounds of .40 S&W, or 14 rounds of 45's.  

There you have it, my .02 on the Glock v. 1911.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2002 4:58:54 PM EDT
[#12]
It still ain't be mattering because I still be needing my 9 milly with 16 in da "clip" and one in da hole.  So all y'all needs to be recognizin' dat.  Word to ya mother!

Link Posted: 10/26/2002 11:06:39 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
  just because something is 100 years old does not mean that it's the best thing available today.  

True!

BUT if something works for you then it just works - period.

Some of us have 1911's that worked fine out of the box as well as being accurate, etc...

My 1911 was reliable until I did things to it that I shouldn't, like dropping the slide on a round hand fed into the chamber.

And yes, that is a flaw in its design as most newer guns have different extractors.

That is the only problem it have given me and it was of my own creation.

Many 1911's have problems because they are "gunsmithed" by your average Joe Beerguzzler so in some cases, 1911 problems are sometimes user created. This is not to say that some haven't had problems out of the box but i wouldn't write off the 1911 yet as being a useful gun even for carry.

I love my USp but it is also much bulkier, if I was allowed to carry it would be easier to conceal the 1911. I also trust my 1911 and would feel comfortable carrying it!

Link Posted: 10/27/2002 12:49:10 PM EDT
[#14]
I have rethought my position on this.  When I become dictator of the U.S. I will enslave all detractors of the 1911 and force them to work in 1911 factories, producing copies of that magnificent gun. And Darin_Marple will get his very own factory, will work 16/7, and only get expired MREs for lunch and dinner.
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 2:44:54 PM EDT
[#15]
1911s don't suck they can still be a great target gun (if you want to spend the money). However, as a combat weapon they were made obsolete by SIG in 1975 with the 220. HK, Glock, and CZ like the SIG are just three more box stock .45 guns that are totally reliable and accurate right out of the box with no safety to interfer with the draw and fire process.

The 1911 is like its older brother, the peace maker, a great gun in its time. Both have a well deserved place in firearms history but no place in a modern combat holster.
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 3:05:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Marvl, May I be one of his supervisors.....no on defames the 1911?
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 6:10:10 PM EDT
[#17]
I, for one, like MREs.

I be needin' my nine up in da hood, none of dat hundred year old sheet, yo.
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 7:51:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Hey, Ax me bout ebonics!  You guys really crack me up.  
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 8:04:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Yo y'all foos be trippin'!  When I be needsin' to brush up on mah slangin' dope words, I be checkin' out dis translanator www.joel.net/EBONICS/translator.asp

Also, when i be needin to go hit up some foos on da west coast, i always be flyin with these foos... www.siccoproductionz.com/delta.html

I DUN FLOWN DILLTA..THEM FOOS BE OFF DA CHAIN!!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top