Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2002 7:42:34 PM EDT
have a chance to pick one up real cheap, i dont know much about them, i remember it said 5-43, but i didnt write down other bbl markings, i would say its in fair shape some dings on stock , clean bore. Ballpark whats it worth?
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 8:15:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Smiths was made during WWII.I paid $400 for mine through CMP.It was in really great shape.I have seen them going for $500-750 . I wouldn't pay that much unless thats what I had to have.$500 is tops for me unless its in mint condition.But saying that the market goes up and down. Ive never bought a gun thinking about its real value. I always try not to pay more than the current market but if I had to have it I had to have it.Great rifles with a shit load of USA history. Hail to the Doughboys.WD
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 9:37:15 PM EDT
[#2]
i guess the kid in my condo complex doesnt know what he has. he always sees me carrying my rifles, he told me he had an old rifle that was his grandfathers , would i give him $100 for it. I know it matters what bbl it is and crap like that but im sure its worth a c note
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 9:45:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Grandfather's rifle?  Sometimes as gun collectors we should encourage the youngins to join in our sport especially when the firearms are passed down.  It is a great deal, but maybe you should encourage him to keep the heirloom?

If it were something he bought and had no clue, that's different, but educate the kid and maybe take him to the range to shoot "gramps" gun.  I'm serious.  If he still wants to sell, so be it, but give him a chance WITHOUT telling him the market value.  If he keeps it merely for the value, he's an undeserving little heathen who'll just raise the price!
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 9:58:15 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Grandfather's rifle?  Sometimes as gun collectors we should encourage the youngins to join in our sport especially when the firearms are passed down.  It is a great deal, but maybe you should encourage him to keep the heirloom?

If it were something he bought and had no clue, that's different, but educate the kid and maybe take him to the range to shoot "gramps" gun.  I'm serious.  If he still wants to sell, so be it, but give him a chance WITHOUT telling him
the market value.  If he keeps it merely for the value, he's an undeserving little heathen who'll just raise the price!

Normally i would , but this kid is a punk, i got the impression he thought he was ripping me off. His mom doesnt want him to have it, cause he cant be trusted, i think she might just give it to me. rather me than the local gunshop.

Its not like ur cousin who was really into it at the LI shoot last weekend, when i let him shoot my Vepr and Saiga 308, he appreciated it
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 3:19:12 AM EDT
[#5]
My own opinion is it's worth $400 if its in good shape.If its in great shape $500-750 is what Ive seen at gunshows this past year. If the punk wanted $100 for it he would have blisteres on his fingers where I snatched it from his hands .To bad he is going to be trouble.I hate to see a youngen giveing up something that belonged to his grandfather but like you discribed him, it will either be used in a crime or traded for drugs/or sold to another punk on the street. Lucky dog.... WD
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 6:09:57 AM EDT
[#6]
You've got my full blessing!  All I heard was "grandpa's gun" and thought he MIGHT have deserved a chance.  Enjoy it!

Neils loves all guns, and definately appreciated your loaners!  He only has that little 22, so anything he's exposed to is a blast for him.  Thanks again for letting him blow off a couple rounds!
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 7:44:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Neil told me he doesnt have to rush out and get a new AR with his 1st paycheck as he has access  to the Balzac arsenal
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 7:51:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 9:34:12 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Neil told me he doesnt have to rush out and get a new AR with his 1st paycheck as he has access  to the Balzac arsenal

OH REALLY!  Would you believe that he's shot my Colt Elite more than I have?  I used to hate my AR15 until I found the joys of cheap ammo!  On the way home from the range, we were discussing how we'd build his AR15, so I think between your conversation and sitting in the passenger seat, he had a revelation!

He'll probably have the whole gun built by Christmas, with Christmas being a BIG help!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top