Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/22/2002 2:07:08 PM EDT
I want to get a .338 Whisper upper on an AR-10 lower.  However, AR-10 pre-ban receivers are rarer than virgins in Hollywood.  Does anyone know for absolute sure if you can take a post-ban semi-auto and mount a NFA suppressor on it?  Of course, I'll pay the $200 and do all the paperwork properly, but I want to know if it is legal to do this?

If not, looks like I'll have to look into a bolt action.
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 2:10:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Ya maybe oughta post the gun stuff in the right forum.....
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 2:14:26 PM EDT
[#2]
IIRC
I don't believe you can.  The govt considers a silencer to also be a flash suppressor
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 2:16:28 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I want to get a .338 Whisper upper on an AR-10 lower.  However, AR-10 pre-ban receivers are rarer than virgins in Hollywood.  Does anyone know for absolute sure if you can take a post-ban semi-auto and mount a NFA suppressor on it?  Of course, I'll pay the $200 and do all the paperwork properly, but I want to know if it is legal to do this?

If not, looks like I'll have to look into a bolt action.

No, the BATF has ruled that a sound suppressor also functions as an effective flash suppressor and therefore cannot be mounted on a post-ban AR. You could mount it on a post ban M1A since there is no pistol grip and the suppressor would be your one "evil feature"... but I doubt you can find an M1A in .338 Whisper... or it would cost a lot of $$$ to do. Two options:

1) Go bolt action
2) Find a preban SR-25. A little easier to find but spendy.

Link Posted: 9/22/2002 2:24:33 PM EDT
[#4]
It seems to me that I read an ATF statement that you can put an NFA registered item on a preban or a postban.  I'll try to find that.
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 2:27:54 PM EDT
[#5]
about the only semis are ones with rifle stocks like a m1a,mini14, 10/22.  any semi with a pistol grip is a no no
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 3:17:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Okay, I got a clarification.  If you put a registered DIAS in a postban, then all the rules are off.  As for SBRs and sound suppressors, all the stupid rules still apply.
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 3:30:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Make the mag non detachable so it can have all the evil goodies you want on it. Just unscrew the mag release button from the mag catch and reassemble it so it requires tools to release the mag in some way or another. I think it's Bull too that a sound suppressor is considered a flash suppressor.
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 3:30:58 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Okay, I got a clarification.  If you put a registered DIAS in a postban, then all the rules are off.  As for SBRs and sound suppressors, all the stupid rules still apply.

once you do that it is a machinegun and not a "assault rifle"
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 3:37:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Somebody posted a really ugly piece that replaced the grip but didn't count as a pistol grip by the ATF.  With that and a fixed stock, it would only be 1 evil feature, unless flash suppressors are specifically mentioned as illegal.
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 3:41:47 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
No, the BATF has ruled that a sound suppressor also functions as an effective flash suppressor and therefore cannot be mounted on a post-ban AR.

DH is correct. The sound supressor is also a flash supressor. Therfore, if you put it on a post-ban AR, you would be manufacturing an assult-weapon (too many evil features). You could remove the pistol grip or fix the mag in position.

In short, go bolt action.
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 3:43:21 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Somebody posted a really ugly piece that replaced the grip but didn't count as a pistol grip by the ATF.  With that and a fixed stock, it would only be 1 evil feature, unless flash suppressors are specifically mentioned as illegal.

flash suppresors are an evil feature.  Some rifles still come standard with them such as the m1a
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 3:49:21 PM EDT
[#12]
So how does SSK do it?
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 3:50:34 PM EDT
[#13]
When the 1994 abomination sunsets, then will you be able to put suppressors on post-bans?
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 4:11:37 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
When the 1994 abomination sunsets, then will you be able to put suppressors on post-bans?

Provided that they don't replace the law with something that says you can't.... then yes... I imagine you could.
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 6:01:59 PM EDT
[#15]
It appears that SSK only manufactures/sells the suppressed AR-10 to those paragons of virtue, Law Enforcement.  Grrrrrr.

So, looks like a bolt action is the way I have to go.
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 7:18:15 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
It appears that SSK only manufactures/sells the suppressed AR-10 to those paragons of virtue, Law Enforcement.  Grrrrrr.

How bout a nice m1a/m14 style rifle?  It is .308 like the ar10 and takes the same magazines.  Plus it is legally allowed to have a Flash Suppressor because it lacks a pistol grip.  It is just as accurate if not more than the ar10.  Think about it
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 7:23:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Order yourself a thumbhole stock from Brownell's.
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 3:45:01 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

My bad, I never read that part, I just drooled over the picture.
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 5:42:49 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, now that it is select fire, it really is an assault rifle, contrary to the BS that Klinton and his buddie put out.  Yes, an assault rifle is a machine gun, but it is the caliber, feed mechanism, how it is used, and style of rifle that differentiate a machine gun from an assault rifle, at least according to the military definition.
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 5:59:03 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, now that it is select fire, it really is an assault rifle, contrary to the BS that Klinton and his buddie put out.  Yes, an assault rifle is a machine gun, but it is the caliber, feed mechanism, how it is used, and style of rifle that differentiate a machine gun from an assault rifle, at least according to the military definition.

Military adn ATF definition are 2 different things.  ATF says as long as it fires more than 1 round while during one trigger pull it is a machinegun.  This is regardless of what we  and the military know as an assault rifle (ie m16, m4)
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 9:00:10 PM EDT
[#21]
I thought you had to apply for a permit with the ATF and if you were approved you could mount a suppressor on anything that you had registered.you may have to register the weapon that it is going on but that would be it.look for a class 3 dealer in your area and he could advise you for sure.i don't think you can only mount a suppressor on a preban but I'm pretty sure the gun has to be registered as well as the suppressor with the ATF which means 400.00 total and 2 permits.
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 1:03:40 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I thought you had to apply for a permit with the ATF and if you were approved you could mount a suppressor on anything that you had registered.

Nope.  AW ban messed things up.  Must be preban or RR or gun with LL/DIAS.  You cannot even take a preban and register it as a SBR and put it on...

you may have to register the weapon that it is going on but that would be it.look for a class 3 dealer in your area and he could advise you for sure.i don't think you can only mount a suppressor on a preban but I'm pretty sure the gun has to be registered as well as the suppressor with the ATF which means 400.00 total and 2 permits.

Gun does NOT need to be registered.

A couple good guesses, but just a little short! :-)

Link Posted: 9/24/2002 7:27:06 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I thought you had to apply for a permit with the ATF and if you were approved you could mount a suppressor on anything that you had registered.you may have to register the weapon that it is going on but that would be it.look for a class 3 dealer in your area and he could advise you for sure.i don't think you can only mount a suppressor on a preban but I'm pretty sure the gun has to be registered as well as the suppressor with the ATF which means 400.00 total and 2 permits.

No permit involved. In a free state, you submit a CLEO signed Form 4 with photographs, fingerprings and $200. They run a 15 minute background check which takes 6 weeks to 6 months. Once you get approved, you get your supressor.

As stated above, you can can not mount your spressor on anything that would qualify as manufacturing an assult weapon under the law.

Class III Sound Supressor = Flash Reducing Supressor in the eyes of the ATF.
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 7:31:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Does someone make a "rifle stock witout pistol grip" for an AR-15, so I can have a flash hider?

Link Posted: 9/24/2002 10:52:13 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Does someone make a "rifle stock witout pistol grip" for an AR-15, so I can have a flash hider?

Yes. I will see if I can find the link. There was a replacement for the pistol grip that was supposed to make the gun pistol gripless.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top