Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2002 9:30:38 PM EDT
HAS ANYONE DONE A REVIEW OF THE S.I.R. FOREEND, AND HOW IT COMPARES TO THE KAC RAS OR THE C-MORE FF HANDGUARD?
I AM IN THE GREAT DEBATE OF WHICH PATH TO GO, SO ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT!!

THANKS

SEMPER GUMBY!
Link Posted: 9/15/2002 9:52:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I have used the Knights RAS and am currently using the ARMS SIR on my Bushmaster M-4 and absolutely love it.  I carry it during tactical missions with a KAC vertical grip, Aimpoint Comp-M and surefire mounted to a side rail.  I know that the SIR looks alot more substantial than the Knights RAS or the C-more however I can assure you that it isn't heavy and has a very light feel to it.  During a recent tactical rifle training I attended, there were many types of forends being used.  Many of the forends were getting pretty hot during the extended rapid fire excercises and the operators had to wear nomex gloves to keep their hands from burning.  The SIR worked very well to ventilate the barrel and keep my hand from getting hot.  I would encourage you to try the SIR, you won't be dissapointed!    
Link Posted: 9/15/2002 9:58:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Here is a discussion about the differences between SIR and the Oly FIRSH. The FIRSH is very similar to the C-More. The thread below has another link to an additional thread with much the same info. Seems there is a place for all of the systems. Not everyone may need a SIR, and may love the FIRSH. However, those people whose needs may require a SIR type system wouldnt go near a FIRSH/C-More.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=139380&w=myTopicPop
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 9:16:39 PM EDT
[#3]
BOY!! Your not a kiddin' It twas pretty well like beating a dead horse thread, thanks I learned alot. I had not even heard of the FIRSH.

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 12:31:15 AM EDT
[#4]
What pisses me off is when those who don't own, or even HANDLED the item(s) in question PARROT information they've "heard" about the item(s) they don't like, and try and pass that info off as fact.

I have the SIR-C and RAS.  ANY system that doesn't require front sight removal is for me, since I have permanently mounted muzzle brakes on my AR's.

I like the SIR immediately over the RAS due to it free floating the barrel.  The M4 profile barrel isn't a heavy profile, so when the firing gets hot and heavy, the free floating of the SIR can't be a bad thing.

I have the RAS on my A2 upper, as the SIR won't fit this.  This AR is an HBAR, so I feel it's better suited for the RAS.

The RAS is good and fully into the Army system, but the SIR to me is out front and I've heard NOTHING bad about it.

The downside - with either system, just be prepared to have your wallet SMOKED.

Chris
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 6:44:45 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm pretty happy with my FIRSH.  It is certainly capable and definitely a lot easier on the wallet.  Very well made, too.  I've not noticed any heat problems, but then I've not taken it into combat.
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 11:56:36 AM EDT
[#6]
USMC,
I have a friend who has the FF RAS and both are pretty close in price, function, and attributes. However, we noticed that the SIR stays a bit cooler than the RAS because the RAS is still attached via the Barrel Nut. The SIR mounts directly to the top of the the receiver with only a small yoke over the barrel nut. Additionally, you can apply something around 100+ lbs to the SIR before it starts to stress. I think this is what the guy from ARMS told me. It's one of their selling points. Anyway, I made a believer out of my friend. I vote for the SIR...but then again, I am bias.
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 2:56:13 PM EDT
[#7]
BIAS? I LOVE BIAS. I THINK I AM DRIFTING TOWARDS THE SIR MYSELF, I HAVE PUT UP FOR SALE MY #38 SWAN SLEEVE EX IN THE EQUIPTMENT EXCHANGE FORUM. SOMEONE GO BUY IT!

THANKS EVERYONE
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 6:50:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Do you have the civ. or mil. version of the SIR and what is the difference(other than removing the delta ring) on the mil. version?  Is the civ. version just as solid?  Does it look different?  It doesn't on the ARMS website but you can't really see in detail.  Thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 3:39:48 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Do you have the civ. or mil. version of the SIR and what is the difference(other than removing the delta ring) on the mil. version?  Is the civ. version just as solid?  Does it look different?  It doesn't on the ARMS website but you can't really see in detail.  Thanks for the help!

I have a SIR-C, which does NOT require removal of the delta ring.

I haven't handled the SIR-M model, so I can't give you any comparison information between the two.  

What I can tell you, very simply, is that my -C model is as solid as you'd expect an ARMS mount to be.

Chris
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top