Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2002 1:14:42 PM EDT
Gents,

Need opinions on safes and safe interior setups to figure out what safe I need for my trash?  Is there anyone that makes a double door safe so I can lock my mags and rifles in one safe location?

Does anyone have any pics of safes and setups?  Links to sights?

Thanks gents

Max
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 3:10:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Any one with thoughts?  Stokes, Pete, Lordtrader, anyone?

max
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 4:22:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Fort Knox would be my first choice.  You would need to call them to locate the nearest dealer.  www.ftknox.com

Don’t know of anyone who makes a double door safe.  Sounds like it would be more expensive (or alternatively, less secure) than a single door safe.
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 7:13:10 PM EDT
[#3]
you may want let your fingers do the walking on this one.

check around in your area for a lock smith or dealer that sells new and or used vaults.

several months ago i came across a used double door DIEBOLD bank vault that would have made a perfect gun vault for 2500.

Im still kicking myself for passing that up

Link Posted: 8/23/2002 7:23:19 PM EDT
[#4]
If memory serves Armalite has a safe on their website that has double wrap-around doors.  Looks like the best access to a large number of rifles of any safe I've seen.
Link Posted: 8/25/2002 6:37:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Not sure where in NC you are but Hyatts Gun Shop in Charlotte has a huge safe showroom, 3 or 4 brands, 50/60 safes,  worth a phone call  704-394-0387

SHAMROCK
Link Posted: 8/25/2002 6:46:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Another vote for Ft Knox safes.  Make sure you have a strong floor!
Link Posted: 8/25/2002 7:19:13 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Fort Knox would be my first choice.  You would need to call them to locate the nearest dealer.  www.ftknox.com

Don’t know of anyone who makes a double door safe.  Sounds like it would be more expensive (or alternatively, less secure) than a single door safe.

Cannon safes are very good. I have a single door model 52D. When I bought mine, in 1986, they didn't have a double door model available. they do now. Double door safes will keep out all but the most experienced safe crackers. If you live in a normal, middle class, neighborhood, you have nothing to fear from a professional safe cracker. You don't have the assets that would attract the bad guy.

The new double door safes are pretty secure. Do a web search and look for Cannon, and some of the other names mentioned here. Get something real heavy. Mine weights 1235 lbs without the fireproof interior. If some bad guy is big enough to take that out of my house, who am I to stop him?

Bill
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 12:09:19 AM EDT
[#8]
National Security has the highest fire rating of all brands as of right now (I think). Personally I find the Ft. Knox safes to be vastly overpriced compared to other safes of equal quality.

Once you get in that $1200 & up range there's not much difference in quality between brands although there may be a bit that I haven't noticed. Look for the best fire rating & go from there.

I would also recommend staying away from the electronic locks. If the battery dies/fails you may be in a bind.
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 11:17:11 AM EDT
[#9]
i second the looking around for local suppliers.

we found a guy not too far away that provides better fire protection (in both temperature and time) and theft protection than most of the major brands at a very good price.  he even delivers...to basements!

anyhow, you might find something in the yellow pages if you do your research.
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 1:32:35 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

we found a guy not too far away that provides better fire protection (in both temperature and time) and theft protection than most of the major brands at a very good price.  he even delivers...to basements!

You have a Johnson Safe too?

He didn't have one in stock to fit what I wanted so he gave me a loaner of the same size, delivered it and helped me get it in place and then 6 weeks later when he finished my safe he brought it over and swapped it for the loaner.

I like my safe.

-f
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 11:20:47 AM EDT
[#11]
I would go with the Ft Knox and get the optional fire door if you purchase the lesser price models (standard on high-end model). Also you can upgrade the steel thickness.  You would have to order it to get these options, It me about 30 days to get my safe
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 11:32:03 AM EDT
[#12]
I just got a Nat'l Security Magnum 42 (approx 61"x43"x28"). (Nat'l Security is Liberty Safe's high-end model. About 1250lbs, big sucker. Smooth action, nothing wiggly or cheap. Love it.
Says "don't f*ck with me" all over it.

I was leaning toward a Ft. Knox (Guardian grade or above, with 3/16" upgrade (from 10ga steel), extra steel liner, and reinforced fire door upgrade - on special orders you can get Ft Knoxs
without fancy paint (textured granite finish, which is durable, and I love it) and save some $$. But I couldn't find a local dealer and shipping was just "to my front door" and I don't know where to find folks that can move 1300lbs five steps downstairs.

So I checked Liberty again and looked at the better Nat'l Security stuff and found a demo/repo safe.  Plus I was able to get a decent trade-in for my Liberty Colonial 23.

I am not impressed with Cannon safes. They seem to be made out of light sheet metal - 11? 10? ga seems to be their best, and no 3/16" option.

Bill Wiese
San mateo, CA

Link Posted: 8/28/2002 3:35:46 PM EDT
[#13]
i reccomend converting a room into a vault. its cheaper in the long run.
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 2:13:01 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
i reccomend converting a room into a
vault. its cheaper in the long run.

Um, Cyrax, maybe in the sticks, but certainly not in many suburban/metro areas...

Safe: $4000 (worst case, w/tax+ delivery)

Room: 12'x12' bdrm from a 1500sq ft 3Br/2BA
      $300K ranch house (which does NOT
      exist here in Silicon Valley, it's
      at least $550K) =
      $300,000*(144/1500) = $28,800

Point of reference: just closed on a $399K  2Br/2.5Ba (+2C gar) townhouse in San Jose - that's "low cost", "affordable", "high density" housing.

Bill Wiese
San Mateo, CA

Link Posted: 8/30/2002 2:52:17 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Point of reference: just closed on a $399K  2Br/2.5Ba (+2C gar) townhouse in San Jose - that's "low cost", "affordable", "high density" housing.

Holy Crap!!!!  $400K for a TOWNHOUSE????

Mine: 3br/2ba/2 car garage, 2 acre lot, full basement, 1800 sq ft (not counting basement or garage), rancher:  $120K. Minimal neighbors, lots of room to let the dog run. And only a half hour commute to work. Now I know the Bay area is nice and has lots of good jobs and stuff, but JEEZ!  And I can't even have the toys I already have?  I'd have to make, like, $300k there to live the way I live here.

Not knocking on your new digs; you Kali folks must be used to the prices by now. And having been to San Fran and the area, I know it's beautiful.

But Damn....
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 2:55:21 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
If memory serves Armalite has a safe on their website that has double wrap-around doors.  Looks like the best access to a large number of rifles of any safe I've seen.

You sure you're not thinking about the DPMS safe?
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 2:59:04 PM EDT
[#17]
www.sportsmansteelsafes.com

They make high quality gun safes for very large gun collections.
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 3:07:38 PM EDT
[#18]
http://www.mastersecuritycenter.com/tl-amvault30.htm
Check out the link above for a real safe.

You need a TL-30 rated safe to keep the real bad guys out. A TL-30 rating means that it will take a pro with the necessary equipment 30 minutes to open the safe.
I have nothing against Fort Knox of Browning,I have owned a Fort Knox safe for 15 years, After getting an education from a safe smith friend of mine I only keep the cheap stuff in it.
It will take a pro about 2 minutes to open one!  
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 3:07:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Hey bwiese,

Even out here in the sticks of Concord its getting expensive, 1100 sq.ft. 3 bed 1 bath home, 50 years old, 2 car garage, 6000 sq.ft. lot and oh ya, needs updating.. $325,000.
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 6:12:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 6:22:04 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Brou... that's it!  No wonder I couldn't find it at Armalite's site.

Here's the DPMS double L-door safe...

www.shooterstore.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?&DID=90&Product_ID=12874&CATID=1174
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 7:12:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Have you thought about just pulling/safing the bolts?  Much more cost efficient, although with obvious other risks.
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 11:43:34 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Note: Concord is a "little town out in the sticks", with a population of 120,000 or so.  That's the scale that you have to deal with in the Bay Area.

I live even further "out in the sticks", and the house I bought for $130,000 in '96 (1150 sq foot, 3B/2B/2CG, built in 1990) is now valued at $265,000.  If I put it up for sale, it would be sold in 2 days.

Dude, that's some EXCELLENT appreciation! I paid 99K for my place 3 years ago, and could probably sell it for around 130K now.
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 10:21:54 AM EDT
[#24]
The problem with California is that with the increased population comes increased home prices.  When I lived there prices were still good, now prices have sky rocketed.  The market value of homes have been driven up by demand.  

Sooner or later the bottom will fall out of the housing boom.  People are financing 400,000 dollar homes.  Yes it gets them a nice house and great area.  What they don't tell you is that work their ass off and have little time to enjoy the fruits of their labor.  Factor in power, water and sewage, your talking quite a bit of change.

Me I'll stay on the right coast.  It's nice and we actually see the four seasons.

Max
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 1:34:05 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You have a Johnson Safe too?[>Q].  

He didn't have one in stock to fit what I wanted so he gave me a loaner of the same size, delivered it and helped me get it in place and then 6 weeks later when he finished my safe he brought it over and swapped it for the loaner.

I like my safe.

-f

Yes we do.  Well we did.  We had to sell it when we moved back from Arizona.  
I forget what model we had, but it was freakin' HUGE.  I loved that safe.  We are going to get another one, in fact I need to call him on Monday.  We have to have a smaller one now since we just don't have the room anymore to put the big ones.

I would reccommend this guy to anyone.  So I would definately suggest looking into the local guys.
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 2:05:30 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Brou... that's it!  No wonder I couldn't find it at Armalite's site.

Here's the DPMS double L-door safe...

www.shooterstore.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?&DID=90&Product_ID=12874&CATID=1174

Note their special offer:  Buy $70K worth of rifles and receive the safe for free.  Now where did I put that cash box of mine?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top